Organizing College Sports.

A place to talk about anything. Stocks, politics, or your neighbors who won't turn down that music.
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Organizing College Sports.

Postby donovan » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:01 am

I generally am opposed to unions, not because labor organizing is inherently bad, but because I do not see much difference between big government, unions, or business. The all seem to destroy free enterprise. But the ineptness of the NCAA in addressing players general issues (when was the last time the NCAA came down on a school because a player was mistreated or injustice by the school was done? The opposite fills volumes) it is understandable why this is happening. I do not think it will be work or be a solution, but maybe it will cause the college president's to stop abdicating their responsibilities to their students. Where's this all going? "Follow the money."

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/10363430/outside-lines-northwestern-wildcats-football-players-trying-join-labor-union
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: Organizing College Sports.

Postby billybud » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:34 am

Where there are lawyers involved, no good can come of it.

Donna Shalala would know how to handle this. I am positive that the NCAA's Emmert woke up with a bloody horse's head leaking on his sheets. Penalties for Miami? No Sir.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:02 pm

At this point they are not asking for money. It is a smart move to be able to get public opinion in their favor to get a union formed. Then once they have the structure in place you will see all college athletes want in and the money issue will be there. It is the nature of the beast. While I agree with Donovan that the NCAA has botched the handling of college sports so badly that something needs done, this is going to end collegiate sports as we know it. Look out high schools.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:54 pm

billybud wrote:Donna Shalala would know how to handle this. I am positive that the NCAA's Emmert woke up with a bloody horse's head leaking on his sheets. Penalties for Miami? No Sir.

You are absolutely correct. She WAS a part of the Clinton administration. She would be very good at this "clean up" stuff.
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Return to “Off-Topic”