Shades of Deion

A place to talk about anything. Stocks, politics, or your neighbors who won't turn down that music.
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Shades of Deion

Postby billybud » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:15 am

Went to FSU baseball practice before the bad weather might shut it down for the week.

The Heisman quarterback was all over. He will be FSU's closer...and also play outfield.

Kid throws in the 90's. Radar clocked at 97.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: Shades of Deion

Postby donovan » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:51 am

For a kid to play as he does in two sports, he has to be a tremendous athlete for the coaches to even allow this to happen. Does he have a favorite, or just like to play no matter what the game?
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:28 am

Donovan:

The kid has always been a two sport athlete going back to when he was 8 years old.

The Texas Rangers drafted him out of high school (15th round).

There is a slight chance now that he might be a two sport star as a pro. If the NFL drafts him in the 1st round, I don't see them allowing a high investment quarterback to play a second sport.

But Winston says that he wants to play both sports as a pro.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:25 pm

I think you would be right on a NFL team not allowing it. There have been some that have tried, Bo Jackson and Danny Ainge come to my mind. Both ran into legal battles, Jackson was probably more successful but both made the big leagues. Not sure a body can take all that beating 12 months a year.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:05 pm

Deion played pro baseball and football.

At FSU he played football, baseball, and ran track.

Famously, Deion once left the baseball game, ran across to the track, put on his track cleats and anchored the winning relay in a meet while still wearing his baseball pants.

Return to “Off-Topic”