Job Opening

A place to talk about anything. Stocks, politics, or your neighbors who won't turn down that music.
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Job Opening

Postby donovan » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:20 pm

Spence....get your curriculum vitae ready.....You are the man.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/9727367/mlb-commissioner-bud-selig-retire-2014-season
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Job Opening

Postby Spence » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:36 pm

That would be a cool job, but I would make lots of people mad when I made Pete Rose eligible for the hall of fame. :wink: Fay Vincent would stock me and Bart G would haunt me.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:21 am

Spence wrote:That would be a cool job, but I would make lots of people mad when I made Pete Rose eligible for the hall of fame. :wink: Fay Vincent would stock me and Bart G would haunt me.

And I would applaud you. And you also would do away with the AL designated hitter and instant replay PED's out forever. (These are not addictions...these are intentional choices to change the game....ok...you can have due process)

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:27 am

Yes. I think the players union has lots to do with the PED problem. That and the fact that the owners were selling lots of tickets to turn a blind eye.

I think the biggest thing the next commissioner should do it start a grass roots effort to reintroduce baseball to the kids. They need to invest time and money into the knothole programs and make baseball America's pastime again. We had a perpetual baseball game that lasted the summer when I was a kid. I don't remember a day there wasn't a game. My kids play soccer. I know nothing about soccer.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:41 am

That is why you should be commissioner. I learned more about arithmetic...call it what it is...playing baseball as kid than in school. We had perpetual games, we kept score and hat batting statistics, fielding, all of that. Not sure of the accuracy of the numbers we imputed, because most of them were at night when we had to come in and so we just remembered as we replayed the game in our minds. And, we had to play in our yard, which an area that was very restricted, we took socks and put them in another sock and that was the ball. If too many home runs were hit, we softened up the ball.....hmm...maybe MLB was taking notes.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:16 am

I was the same. WEhad stats for the season. Batting average, Home run totals, RBi's and hits. Doubles and triples would have been next to impossible to track. We used a baseball when we could get on a real field. A wiffle ball when we couldn't. We used electricians tape to wrap the ball just the right amount to adjust to the size of our field. Second base, at our regular field, was a man hole cover. Third was a tree. First was someones shirt. Home plate was a frisbee. You didn't need a glove. You could get a guy out by hitting him with the ball while he was running the bases. When is was to dark to play, we had a neighborhood wide game of hide and seek until our moms made us come in. We all had televisions in our houses, we just didn't use them, unless we were watching the game of the week on Saturday. Usually the Yankees or the Dodgers.

I do think that if everyone is serious about removing PED's from the game, it would be simple. Just make a rule that says that anyone using a PED is banned for life. Then have the resolve of commissioner Landis. Baseball is a great game to play. It doesn't need replay, PED's, or labor disputes. It just needs some kids, a manhole cover, a tree, a shirt, a frisbee, a ball, and a bat. Play ball.

Eric

Postby Eric » Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:39 pm

I view a lifetime ban as too harsh and not just because they don't deserve it, but because there is always room for error. While I'm sure anyone who gets caught was in all reality guilty, it's feasible to mistakenly take something not known as a PED that has an ingredient that shows up on tests. There was an offensive lineman for Georgia who was on some sort of medication and it contained a banned substance and he's taken years to clear his name and to get the NCAA to do something about it. I think if a player did make an honest mistake, ending his career would be an injustice.

That said, I think maybe a two-time offense should do it. Nobody mistakenly takes something twice. And I think if you get caught, you have to forfeit the year's salary to date and more. The problem now is that you've got guys like Colon and Tejada who, at this stage in their careers, have nothing to lose by taking PEDs. In Tejada's case, he was already a one-time offender and at age 38 or however old he is, he decided to take them anyway. If he got caught, he could just shrug his shoulders and say, "well, I guess I'm done playing baseball." And if he weren't taking PEDs, he couldn't compete in the majors, so he figured he might as well risk it. I'm pretty sure Colon is also taking them because he has nothing to lose either at this point. If he gets away with it, great. If he gets busted, oh well.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:11 pm

I would think you would have to be aware of what you put into your body. You need to run the things you take by your Dr. and he needs to be aware of what you can and can not take. I have never taken anything that I didn't know what it did and what the side effects were. I don't think there should be a second chance. I think you can appeal to the commissioner and if your circumstance was not entending to cheat, then that would be up to him to reinstate you.

Return to “Off-Topic”