Grand Canyon University Vs. Everyone Else

A place to talk about anything. Stocks, politics, or your neighbors who won't turn down that music.
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Grand Canyon University Vs. Everyone Else

Postby donovan » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:06 am

Pretty interesting. I think this gives insight what the College Presidents let the NCAA run amok. They apparently can't handle a school that is for profit. This would be the first for profit school in the NCAA. Think about the schools in Division one and reflect if everyone of those should be given non profit status? These types of tidbits are so reflective of so many reason why so much is upside down. (Frankly, I thought Grand Canyon University was an online school that really didn't exist.)
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/2013/07/19/grand-canyon-university-says-arizona-state-is-trying-to-block-its-move-to-division-i-athletics/2569431/
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Grand Canyon University Vs. Everyone Else

Postby Spence » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:52 am

It is a big joke that they don't use athletics for profit anyway. Ohio State funds 36 varsity sports. Texas runs appox. 22. They take in around the same cash. Ohio State athletics donated several million to build the new library. If they have left over (profit) cash to do things like that, then I'm sure the others do too. They just funnel it to other non-profit parts of the university.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:22 pm

Not every school has a century old tradtion, fans who pay big booster bucks and buy tickets to fill 100,000 seats.

Texas and Ohio State are not the norm...they are on the far side of the Bell Curve.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:39 pm

billybud wrote:Not every school has a century old tradtion, fans who pay big booster bucks and buy tickets to fill 100,000 seats.

Texas and Ohio State are not the norm...they are on the far side of the Bell Curve.

I agree, but Ohio State funds about 14 more sports than does most other schools. So while Ohio State takes in more money, they also fund lots more sports.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Return to “Off-Topic”