FIFA World Cup

A place to talk about anything. Stocks, politics, or your neighbors who won't turn down that music.
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Eric

FIFA World Cup

Postby Eric » Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:19 pm

What are your opinions on soccer? Personally, I gave it a chance after the Dish Network programming package was updated. I watched a little GOLTV and Fox Soccer Channel. Of course, they were re-runs, but they weren't as bad as I thought the sport was. A lot of people think soccer sucks, but they just have to give it a little chance.

I don't like soccer all that much, my point is being that it's not freaking terrible like many Americans are under the impression it is.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Eric

Postby Eric » Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:04 am

I think soccer is ok, the main reason I can come up with why it's so popular is just that you need a ball to play a pickup game. I think that's why basketball is even beginning to catch on. It's quite obvious that people down south don't like hockey because they don't have ice where they can play a pickup game.

I know how you feel, Lubbock, I feel the same way with OLN coverage of hockey. :(

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Sat Jun 10, 2006 2:14 pm

I personally dislike soccer, whether watching it or playing it.

I do think the players are some of the best endurance athletes in sports, except the Triatholon.
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Eric

Postby Eric » Sat Jun 10, 2006 3:39 pm

Excellent point, Derek. Soccer players are out there running for 90 minutes with one major break. And, I agree, Lubbock, that soccer is rougher than people assume it is. There's all kinds of fighting, bumping, hitting, tackling, etc. going on that people don't notice.

I think that's also one of the reasons why America likes "regular" football so much, too. I think that once a sport that catches on at one point in time becomes established culturally, it becomes something that the generations learn to love, which is why I don't think other countries catch on to American football.

Eric

Postby Eric » Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:55 pm

So, who do you guys have winning the Cup? I'm actually going out on a limb and saying Italy. I know Germany has homefield, but this is just a gut feeling. Italy vs. France in the final.

Eric

Postby Eric » Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:20 pm

Thanks, it would be nice if those could translate into college football picking success :(

I don't think Zidane will ride off into the sunset. He played great during that Brazil game, I think he'll play good in the championship, but I think the Itallians will pull off a 1-0 victory.

Eric

Postby Eric » Sat Jul 08, 2006 2:27 pm

If you soccer guys see this before the game starts, who do you like to win the 3rd place game? I'm kind of having a tough time with this, so I guess I'll take my chances with Germany, considering the homefield.

Eric

Postby Eric » Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:59 pm

Well, looks like the finals turned out to be a great game. Came down to penalty kicks.

What was the deal with Zidane headbutting that player? That was ridicuous. I guess he just snapped.

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:48 am

He should be charged with assault....There was NO call for it.

It was blatant and unprovoked. Sports or not, he should be charged. But hey, we let a Representative from my state get away with it, why dont we all just start beating the crap out of each other and call it "Extreme" sports, so that we may avoid the consequences.

Call what you will, I call it assault. :evil:
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Eric

Postby Eric » Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:40 pm

I also call it hypersensitivity, for McKinney too! :lol:

Zidane said the Itallian player called him a terrorist, and the Itallian said he didn't even know what that meant......right.......! Even so, it was stupid. Where do you think that ranks on the biggest meltdowns in sports? That minor league manager deserves some recognition at #1, Reggie Miller and Ron Artest do to.

Eric

Postby Eric » Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:24 am

Okay, the new story is that he wished a painful death to him and his family and that he can go (bleep!) himself. I don't blame him as much for the headbutt. I think he's right about not apologizing too.

Return to “Off-Topic”