Arkansas fires Pelphrey

A place to chat about that other college sport during the football off-season.
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Dossenator

Arkansas fires Pelphrey

Postby Dossenator » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:32 pm

Well, Arkansas fired coach Pelphrey today. This is the third straight season with no NCAA tournament. The days of Eddie Sutton and Nolan Richardson seem so far away. Arkansas has a great history in basketball but have not played so well the past 10 years. The 70's to about 2000 were great years to be a Hog fan. I was a freshman the fall of 1994 (right after they won the National Championship and was in the Hogwild band in 1995 when they played in the Championship game against UCLA).

Brief History:
The University of Arkansas recently completed its 88th season on men's basketball. The Razorbacks won the 1994 NCAA Championship and earned a national runner-up finish in 1995. Arkansas has advanced to a total of six NCAA Final Fours, made 10 NCAA Sweet Sixteen appearances and won 40 NCAA Tournament victories. The Razorbacks have won 24 conference championships (22 SWC, 2 SEC), four SEC divisional championships and seven conference tournament championships (6 SWC, 1 SEC).

I hope the Hogs can get a good coach. When Nolan left I thought his assistant Mike Anderson should have been hired. Anderson is now the coach at Missouri. He is the person most Hog fans would like to get. They believe he will bring back that 40 minutes of Hell that Nolan was so famous for.

Arkansas also has a top 3 recruiting class (a month or so ago it was ranked #1 overall) coming in this next season with many key players back from this years team. Whoever the coach, they will be stepping into a great situation.
"A team with something to play for is dangerous, but a team with someone to play for is unstoppable..." Arkansas OL Brey Cook quote following the death of teammate Garrett Uekman (Nov. 2011).

Dossenator

Re: Arkansas fires Pelphrey

Postby Dossenator » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:16 am

CBS Sports is reporting that Mike Anderson (current Missouri coach and former 17 year assistant at Arkansas under Nolan Richardson) will be the Razorbacks next head coach. This article says Anderson and Arkansas have reached an agreement in principal and just have a few things to iron out.

If this is true then I think it is a good hire. Arkansas fans will welcome Anderson back home.

The story:
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketb ... next-coach
"A team with something to play for is dangerous, but a team with someone to play for is unstoppable..." Arkansas OL Brey Cook quote following the death of teammate Garrett Uekman (Nov. 2011).

BYUfan1
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby BYUfan1 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:36 pm

Dossenator wrote:CBS Sports is reporting that Mike Anderson (current Missouri coach and former 17 year assistant at Arkansas under Nolan Richardson) will be the Razorbacks next head coach. This article says Anderson and Arkansas have reached an agreement in principal and just have a few things to iron out.

If this is true then I think it is a good hire. Arkansas fans will welcome Anderson back home.

The story:
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketb ... next-coach

Not sure about that one since I heard Mike Anderson and Missouri are close to signing a long term deal. I rather see that since Missouri is my favorite Big 12 basketball school, and Anderson has brought the program back to life after Quinn Snyder tried to kill it.

The Story I like better:
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=6245054
The critic is one who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.
-- Oscar Wilde

Dossenator

Postby Dossenator » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:13 am

Mike Anderson must be a wizard. If Missouri gives him a raise this year and extension then that will make three years in a row that Missouri has increased his pay and length of contract. I am not sure I have ever heard of that happening before....not three times in a three year span.

The rumor mill is going crazy in Arkansas. They are saying now that the lead candidates are: UCLA's Ben Howland, and Marquette's Buzz Williams.

Other names being thrown around: Bruce Pearl, Billie Gillispie, Wichita State's Greg Marshall....and yes even Kansas' Bill Self (they say since the Big XII is in trouble he may want to jump ship...not going to happen).

Actually, the latest rumor is that a 70 year old Larry Brown is coming in to be the next coach.

It's a wonder that I have not seen rumors of the late Coach Wooden coming in to bring the program back to prominence (it would not be the craziest thing I have seen before on a message board full of crazy fans).

Dossenator

Postby Dossenator » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:47 pm

They are currently reporting (KNWA news out of northwest Arkansas) that Mike Anderson is extremely close to accepting the Arkansas coaching job....even with Missouri offering him more money and an extension.

Here is a reason he may except the job:
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball ... ams_032211

Arkansas' basketball program ranks 13th in revenues. Not too shabby for a team that has been down for 10 years now. The school has a great bball tradition from the 70's through about 2000. With multiple final fours, elite eights, and sweet sixteens (two finals appearances and a National Championship in 1994).

Come on Mike...come home.

Dossenator

Postby Dossenator » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:56 pm

The University of Arkansas has confirmed Mike Anderson will be named the next Razorback Basketball coach on Thursday. His contract will be for 2.2 million a year for 7 years (with a $500,000 dollar buyout clause).

Ark news reported that Anderson cried when he accepted the job. The press conference will be emotional tomorrow. He spent 17 years as an assistant under Nolan Richardson. He wanted the job when Nolan was let go. Fayetteville is his wife's home and I truly believe this is his dream job.

Welcome home Mike. I am excited and I hope for Hog ball to return to Fayetteville. Now can he keep the current players and a top 3 recruiting class from tranferring...that will be his first challenge.

Go Hogs!

Dossenator

Postby Dossenator » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:08 pm

Here is the UofA's official staetment...
http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/ViewA ... =205122134

Welcome home Mike Anderson! :D

Return to “College Basketball”