Bracket Busters

A place to chat about that other college sport during the football off-season.
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.

Which is the biggest threat to make a Sweet 16 run?

Bucknell
25%
Northern Iowa
25%
Manhattan
No votes
South Alabama
No votes
Witchita State
50%

Total votes: 4

Eric

Bracket Busters

Postby Eric » Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:04 am

Well, it is about that time of the year to start thinking about how to fill our bracket. In order to have a successful one, I'd have to say you must pay attention to mid-majors. Now, I tried so hard to win some kind of prize, that I filled out more than 30 brackets from different websites and such, and I didn't win a thing! :roll:

Anyway, some teams to keep an eye on for the Bucknell/Kansas, UW-Milwaukee/Alabama, Vermont/Syracuse kind of games:

1. Bucknell
2. Northern Iowa
3. Manhattan
4. South Alabama
5. Witchita State

I think the Missouri Valley Conference is probably the most unappreciated. They should have 4 teams, and if Missouri State gets on a roll, they could have FIVE. I doubt that though. I think Northern Iowa, Witchita State, Southern Illinois, and Creighton should all go to the tourney. Illinois' close encounter with the Shockers proved that Witchita State can compete with some top-notch teams.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

..fanaticjr
All-American
All-American

Postby ..fanaticjr » Sat Jan 21, 2006 5:53 pm

I'm going with Bucknell. After their win last year against Kansas and undefeated in their conference this year, I think they will win their conference which secures a NCAA tournament spot. They should be a #14 seed, possibly win two upsets and get to the Sweet Sixteen.

Note: Bucknell beat Syracuse in the Carrier Dome by five points.

Eric

Postby Eric » Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:35 pm

Indeed they did, but it is looking like Syracuse might be a bubble team come Selection Sunday...

..fanaticjr
All-American
All-American

Postby ..fanaticjr » Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:59 pm

Good point Eric. Syracuse definitely isn't living up to expectations.

Eric

Postby Eric » Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:33 pm

Well, just give Boehiem some time, he should have the Orangemen ready for tournament time. If not, well, they'll just be NC contenders next season!

I do think Kansas is going to pull it together by seasons' end. They might be around .500 in the Big 12, but they'll get on a little run in the Big 12 tourney and be a 10 or 9 seed in the NCAA tournament. Watch out, whichever one seed will play them in the second round better be sharp. I just think because they are so young, they'll have their experience in March.

Jason G
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Jason G » Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:00 am

I agree that the MVC is a league capable of producing multiple bracket busters. I have a feeling that UNI might be the team that pulls off a big surprise or two in the tourney though.

You could certainly make the argument that the MVC is as good as the MWC or WAC this year.

I was a little disappointed that no MAC school was represented in this poll. That league's teams often don't have stellar records because the teams at the top just knock each other off all season but the level of play is comparable to leagues like the WAC and Atlantic 10 in my opinion.

Eric

Postby Eric » Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:53 pm

I was just curious, do you think some teams like Davidson deserved to go into the tourney when they were upset by a clearly not as good school. I'd have to say that Davidson, who went 16-0 in regular season SOCON play, should've been in the tournament. Of course, I don't know who else they lost to in the OOC schedule, but they were still above average. Davidson had no publicity throughout the season, and I think that contributed to their missing the tournament, even as a 12 seed!

Return to “College Basketball”