The First Post

A place to chat about that other college sport during the football off-season.
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.

Who will win in March?

Duke
No votes
The team that upsets Duke
100%

Total votes: 8

Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

The First Post

Postby Yeofoot » Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:07 pm

Texas has gotten better and better since the royal (expletive) kicking we received from Duke earlier in the season. Texas is the defending national champions in Football, and Baseball, and about to make a trifecta of it by winning the tournament in March. I think they will be on the opposite side of the bracket as Duke, and will most likely lose to them if they play in the championship game, but if someone can pull off an upset, Texas will win it. Hook 'Em

PS, it's more fun talking my Hook Em smack about football, because I actually know something about the team.

Eric

Postby Eric » Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:55 pm

I've got.....I have no freakin' clue. If I had to pick right now, it would be Duke. There just aren't any other elite teams in the tournament. I'd have to say they'll probably hook up with Illinois if the Illini are in a different bracket, or if they'll be a #1 seed.

I accidentally voted for the "team that upsets Duke", so I goofed. Duke is going to win it by default because there aren't many challengers. Florida and Pitt aren't anything special. Florida is good but not great. They're beating up on a weak SEC. As a matter of fact, the whole D1 is weak this year.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

..fanatic
Coordinator
Coordinator

Postby ..fanatic » Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:35 am

5, 3, 6, 3, 2 and 1 - that's the margin of defeat in six of VT's seven losses, including a buzz loss on a 43-foot shot to Duke at Cameron. They've got some individual talent but no evidence of team chemistry or a "step-up" leader.

As far as March Madness time comes, I don't have a clue right now. I'm just now starting to pay even "passive attention" to it. I like Gonzaga - seem to have grit and teamwork - Battista and Morrison lead that team. Duke is always a factor because of the coaching and constant ability to recruit. UNC is young but very talented.

Surprised by Kansas' loss to Missouri and Kentucky's troubles this year.
"Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it."

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:59 am

Ohio State has lost 2 games by 5 points total. Thad Matta has done a pretty good job coming into a bad situation at Ohio State.

I like basketball, but I don't follow it much at all until March. The regular season in basketball is pretty meaningless.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Howdy
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby Howdy » Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:20 pm

[
A

Surprised by Kansas' loss to Missouri and Kentucky's troubles this year.[/quote]

Also Kans.ST.

Eric

Postby Eric » Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:32 pm

Really, what was the streak at, 31 games for the Jayhawks over the Wildcats? Ouch. Kansas might, however, still be a team to watch come tournanment time. Watch out for them to get on a run near the end of the season, I just don't think Texas is that good, I don't think they'd win the Big 12 if Oklahoma State and Kansas were their usual selves.

I hate Gonzaga. Morrison is a freakin' punk, I'm so tired of that guy. Ravio is a gangsta. I just don't like that team come tournament time. If you watched the game against Loyola Marymount (which I doubt any of you did, it was midnight on the east coast), they had some big problems with their transition defense.

That game irriated me because I think any team can beat any team as long as that heavy underdog has the better shot selection. It makes me mad because there were a couple guys on LMU who thought they were Kobe Bryant and tried to make some difficult shots. Farliegh Dickinson could've beat Illinois had they taken better shots in the second half. After one half of play they were down by 1. They were taking bad 3 point shots, and that is what eventually led to the game being busted.

Eric

Postby Eric » Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:39 pm

One more thing about the 'Zags, I think as long as they stay in the WCC, they will never become a title threat. A good team maybe, but never a threat to win the title. The thing about Gonzaga is that they have the talent to make a run in the tourney, I just don't think they have enough in the tank to win 6 straight games against top-notch competition. They have Batista, Morrison, and Ravio, and? The answer is mid-major caliber players. They do have that red-haired guy that is pretty good, but still. The lack of depth on the bench is what I think will hurt Gonzaga.

This is pretty funny guys, but all of the regulars basketball teams are doing well.

Michigan, Nebraska, VT (even though they look mediocre, they play very hard), Oklahoma, Ohio State, West Virginia, Alabama, and the way this trend is going, if there is anybody else who I missed, your team is probably doing well too!

Postby Guest » Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:24 pm

Eric wrote:One more thing about the 'Zags, I think as long as they stay in the WCC, they will never become a title threat. A good team maybe, but never a threat to win the title. The thing about Gonzaga is that they have the talent to make a run in the tourney, I just don't think they have enough in the tank to win 6 straight games against top-notch competition. They have Batista, Morrison, and Ravio, and? The answer is mid-major caliber players. They do have that red-haired guy that is pretty good, but still. The lack of depth on the bench is what I think will hurt Gonzaga.

This is pretty funny guys, but all of the regulars basketball teams are doing well.

Michigan, Nebraska, VT (even though they look mediocre, they play very hard), Oklahoma, Ohio State, West Virginia, Alabama, and the way this trend is going, if there is anybody else who I missed, your team is probably doing well too!

Nebr look awful last night
They were in it for about 15 minutes,then the roof caved in on them.

Postby Guest » Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:25 pm

Eric wrote:One more thing about the 'Zags, I think as long as they stay in the WCC, they will never become a title threat. A good team maybe, but never a threat to win the title. The thing about Gonzaga is that they have the talent to make a run in the tourney, I just don't think they have enough in the tank to win 6 straight games against top-notch competition. They have Batista, Morrison, and Ravio, and? The answer is mid-major caliber players. They do have that red-haired guy that is pretty good, but still. The lack of depth on the bench is what I think will hurt Gonzaga.

Nebr look awful last night
They were in it for about 15 minutes,then the roof caved in on them.

Howdy
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby Howdy » Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:36 pm

Sorry gang.
I having a hell of a time today.
I thought I had this thing set up to log me in right away but must of done it wrong.

Eric

Postby Eric » Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:41 pm

Nah, it isn't just you. Same thing happens to me all of the time. OpenSkies said it had to do with something about cookies.

Jason G
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Jason G » Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:08 pm

I think neither. I think the Blue Devils will make the Final Four or Elite Eight before getting upset by someone. That win, though, will likely leave the upsetting team pretty spent for their next game and they are likely to get picked off at that point.

When it comes to college basketball tournament time I have learned to expect the unexpected!

Return to “College Basketball”