The Moral Compass of the NCAA?

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Spence
Administrator
Administrator

The Moral Compass of the NCAA?

Postby Spence » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:24 pm

"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: The Moral Compass of the NCAA?

Postby donovan » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:31 pm

Yep. When Emmert came to the UW he did in the midst of the Neuheisel fiasco. Frankly after the fact and now known Neuheisel's sin was he went to a block party and drew a ticket, paid his money and was in a blind football pool. I get avoiding the appearance of evil, but this is not exactly what corrupts college football, nonetheless the NCAA clamored and for various others reasons the sharks or rabid Husky TYEE boosters turned on him and he was ousted. Not sure Emmert can be held accountable for that...but then...he brings in Willingham who cleans up the program, a corrupt program that had nothing to do with Neuheisel....been going on for years especially when the godfather Don James was there..(a lot of this I know of being much closer than in hindsight, makes sense...I now give what little money I have to non athletic funds and feel a lot better about that, but I digress) Willingham cleans up the program and it was not without some bloodshed, but Willingham never deferred or flinched. Emmert was right there to take the credit. So now we have a clean program except for one thing....a no win season and several before, not so good. So what happens...Emmert succumbs to the pressure of to those that lie in wait to deceive and fires Willingham. So this is the question...is it better to have a clean program with no wins or a begin again corrupting program that starts winning. I think this is a no brainer, but it take a leaser with guts, principles and fortitude. Emmert accesses his characteristics and becomes President of the NCAA where he is like a rudderless ship in a storm tossed sea. This is all so predictable...SO WHO IS TO BLAME...the weaselly, lily livered, emasculated, incompetent, acacdemically challenged men and women running the universities of this nation....The Presidents. Time schools just bow out and stand up and be counted.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

ktffan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby ktffan » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:19 pm

The NCAA spent years trying to free us from the evil of Indian mascots. Now at least they are trying to address corruption. However, they failed to address the Cam Newton issue, since that would cost people money, so why should we trust them to do the right thing?

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:07 pm

ktffan wrote:The NCAA spent years trying to free us from the evil of Indian mascots. Now at least they are trying to address corruption. However, they failed to address the Cam Newton issue, since that would cost people money, so why should we trust them to do the right thing?

I don't mind the NCAA going after corruption . However I do have a problem with a corrupt NCAA going after anyone. If the clean their own house they can have at it. Miami could be corrupt to the core, but t hey shouldn't be convicted by a group that is just as corrupt.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:17 am

The NCAA wasn't really corrupt.....I suppose, if your favorite program has been stung by the NCAA, you may be more inclined to use such hyperbole.

They just used some questionable tactics, legal but questionable, to get the truth about Miami corruption. Without subpoena powers or any method to induce former players to be disposed by the NCAA, they used a surrogate who did have such powers.

Miami now, was corrupt. I also, in my heart of hearts, know that Auburn has been corrupt for decades.

If we do not want to just give up and let programs/boosters pay for athletes, we must empower the NCAA to stop such corruption. And they really have a lot fewer investigative tools to do so than one might think.

All that I ask for is even handedness....

But...bagmen in college football must be anathema. You can't pay off high school coaches like Bama did, or hand out money to high school kids like Miami did and Auburn most likely did.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:10 am

billybud wrote:The NCAA wasn't really corrupt.....I suppose, if your favorite program has been stung by the NCAA, you may be more inclined to use such hyperbole.

They just used some questionable tactics, legal but questionable, to get the truth about Miami corruption. Without subpoena powers or any method to induce former players to be disposed by the NCAA, they used a surrogate who did have such powers.

Miami now, was corrupt. I also, in my heart of hearts, know that Auburn has been corrupt for decades.

If we do not want to just give up and let programs/boosters pay for athletes, we must empower the NCAA to stop such corruption. And they really have a lot fewer investigative tools to do so than one might think.

All that I ask for is even handedness....

But...bagmen in college football must be anathema. You can't pay off high school coaches like Bama did, or hand out money to high school kids like Miami did and Auburn most likely did.

Ohio State wasn't caught by the NCAA using "questionable" methods. The NCAA didn't catch Ohio State do anything. Ohio State compliance caught Jim Tressel and some players. They got what they deserved, and I have nothing to say against the way Ohio State got punished.

The NCAA offered dangled money and "help" in front of the booster at Miami. He didn't want to go to jail and they told him they would try and help him. So he could tell them anything. He could lie and because the NCAA doesn't have subpoena power he wouldn't be facing perjury if he was lying.

I agree that they must give the NCAA the teeth to do their job, but they need reformed before anything like that happens.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:20 pm

Its not all this difficult. NCAA is a private organization. Members must abide by the rules or they are kicked out. So make the rule that says, the NCAA has access to all records of the school, boosters, etc. If the individuals do not sign the waiver, then they don't get the job.....Happens all the time in other organizations. If a law is broken, the call in Elliot Ness or Sgt. Friday.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:37 pm

The NCAA is a private institution...that enjoys a monopoly!
Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
R. Reagan

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:39 pm

WoVeU wrote:The NCAA is a private institution...that enjoys a monopoly!

They are not a monopoly. Their are other collegiate athletic organizations. The NAIA is one.

Donovan is right, they can kick schools out of the organization, there would probably be a lawsuit, though, and it would be messy.

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:55 pm

This guy is a true politician. Sounds even slicker than Slick Willie.
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Return to “General Discussion”