USC Cheating?

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Eric

USC Cheating?

Postby Eric » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:29 pm

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/ncf/story/_/id/8605756/usc-trojans-fire-student-manager-deflating-game-footballs

I don't think this story matters a whole lot, especially if nothing was said about the type of ball on the field. After all, if it does make such a difference, wouldn't the players notice how strange it was? Nobody would bring it up or complain? And if the change was subtle but had real effects on the game, it seems like it would help Oregon's passing game as well.

But there is absolutely no way a student manager is going to do this unless they were directed by somebody on USC's staff. There is absolutely no chance. Would they even have the knowledge or frame of reference to think that it would help?
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

ktffan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Re: USC Cheating?

Postby ktffan » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:38 pm

Knowing Kiffin's integrity, I'm sure he'd never let anything shady go on under him.

Eric

Postby Eric » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:45 pm

I suppose USC would be at an advantage if they were going to throw the ball a lot more often than Oregon, which, without looking at the box score, I assume is the case.

I'm so tired of this guy. How does any recruit coming out of high school want to line up and play for him? If you get an offer from USC and also get ones from LSU, Texas, Oklahoma, and Nebraska, pick one of those teams for heaven's sake. Don't go play for this guy. When the talent either begins to dwindle or it comes to the point where they can't develop the blue chip freshman because they don't know what's going on or when they start losing games because of the head coaching decisions, this thing is going to come to a standstill.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

ktffan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby ktffan » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:09 pm

Eric wrote:I suppose USC would be at an advantage if they were going to throw the ball a lot more often than Oregon, which, without looking at the box score, I assume is the case.

I'm so tired of this guy. How does any recruit coming out of high school want to line up and play for him? If you get an offer from USC and also get ones from LSU, Texas, Oklahoma, and Nebraska, pick one of those teams for heaven's sake. Don't go play for this guy. When the talent either begins to dwindle or it comes to the point where they can't develop the blue chip freshman because they don't know what's going on or when they start losing games because of the head coaching decisions, this thing is going to come to a standstill.

I love his assurance that no advantage was gained. It was a "disadvantage" in fact. How could he know that? He wouldn't know what plays it was used, nor if it would make a difference on it. If I were to give him the benefit of the doubt that he knew nothing about this, that doesn't excuse him for making lame excuses about it. At least stand up and be a man about it.

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:40 am

Eric wrote:I'm so tired of this guy. How does any recruit coming out of high school want to line up and play for him? If you get an offer from USC and also get ones from LSU, Texas, Oklahoma, and Nebraska, pick one of those teams for heaven's sake. Don't go play for this guy. When the talent either begins to dwindle or it comes to the point where they can't develop the blue chip freshman because they don't know what's going on or when they start losing games because of the head coaching decisions, this thing is going to come to a standstill.

There is oft times when the tale of handshakes with envelopes changes hands at meet & greets between players, alum, and vested parties with personal interests.

Anymore, you would think of this sort of thing being a scandal.

But the NCAA seems to be witch hunting absolutely every possible thing else.

These banquette gatherings happen multiple times a year. And when your backyard is Hollywood; and you have one of the foremost noteworthy film schools in the country . . . those handshakes can be frequent and heavy.

The problem with this type of exchange, is the absence of a paper trail.

It goes on at a lot of places; and some places it can be downright seductive . . . (what do you think some of the chaperons whisper into an impressionable recruits ear during a campus visit)

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Return to “General Discussion”