This sums it up for me...

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Dossenator

This sums it up for me...

Postby Dossenator » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:56 pm

Great article here about Arkansas situation: http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-footba ... ler-wilson

It has nothing to do with the talent or personnel in Arkansas but with the person leading the team...actually the lack of leadership. Say what you will about Bobby Petrino the person but as a coach is was top 2 or 3 in the country.

John L Smith said he didn't know what to say after the game and he told the team the same thing. Well, that's what a great leader does. He also replaced an outstanding long snapper the day before you play #1 Bama in the rain. How did that play out: snap over head that gave Bama their first TD (when Ark's defense was dominating Bama's oline), and then a high snap on a field goal attempt that gave Bama time to get a piece of it (would have made it a 7 point game). He also admitted he knew all week Tyler was not going to play and using him as a decoy. Got the kids hopes up. Let him go out and warm up with the team in pads before the game, and said he would decide them. Then they showed a shot of the team in the tunnel getting ready to come out for the start of the game. You could see that Tyler was emotional...at that moment I knew he was not getting to play.

John L Smith is a clueless clown on the sideline. Rumor is that he will be reassigned tomorrow. His contract states that he can be reassigned at any time during the 10 month duration of his contract. I completely understand that this will not fix the problem at hand, and coaching changes during the season don't work out, but I can't stand to see this guy on the sidelines anymore. He stands there all game, arms folded, and looks completely lost. The sidelines are crazy, and he is quickly losing control of a Razorback team that is loaded with top 5 talent. Just makes me sick. Anything would be better then having him even one more week. I am afraid he is doing more harm than good.

Go to hogville.net and watch Tyler Wilson's comments to the media. He is beyond pissed at the situation. I feel bad for Tyler. Many believe he will be the #1 overall pick in the draft this next season. He is a great kid off the field as well.

Just beyond frustrating. Sat in several hours of pouring rain to watch the clown not coach. Game started great! Crowd was SUPER LOUD (did it come across on the tv?). Then after the long snap debacle it went down hill from there, and John L could not lead when the team needing him the most.
"A team with something to play for is dangerous, but a team with someone to play for is unstoppable..." Arkansas OL Brey Cook quote following the death of teammate Garrett Uekman (Nov. 2011).

Dossenator

Re: This sums it up for me...

Postby Dossenator » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:59 pm

"A team with something to play for is dangerous, but a team with someone to play for is unstoppable..." Arkansas OL Brey Cook quote following the death of teammate Garrett Uekman (Nov. 2011).

Dossenator

Postby Dossenator » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:05 pm

Last time Arkansas did not score in Fayetteville was 1966. John L must go.

Swamp Daddy
Coordinator
Coordinator

Postby Swamp Daddy » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:26 pm

OMG, did not catch that score until a few minutes ago. Unbelievable.

Swamp Daddy :cry:
visit: http://thecrunchzone.com/ for news
site moved to: http://cardinalforums.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1 for discussions

generic university site is: http://www.gocards.com/

Dossenator

Postby Dossenator » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:51 pm

Game started great. Arkansas smashing them in the mouth, McCarron running for his life, etc. Going into the 2nd quarter I believe Bama has 23 yards of total offense to Ark's 3 total yard of offense. Oh...Bama had a 10-0 lead. Why, because John L Smith? Ark fumbled the ball 8 times (did not lose all of them), and threw several Int's. Most of the turnovers were not forced. It was raining.

I have come to the conclusion that God must be a Bama fan. The first 3-4 Arkansas possessions it was pouring rain, everytime Bama got the ball the rain would stop. Bama was rain free for their first 3-4 possessions. I am not making that up. It was uncanny how it would happen. I am trying to find a way to blame that on John L Smith as well.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:23 am

I watched this game Doss and not sure I see it quite like you, but I have been wrong so many time before. Alabama’s defense is not going to let anyone score, so that in and of itself is not a big deal. Arkansas problem is not John L. Smith. It is they do not have the talent on the field. If they did, who knows, but I suspect the results would not be considerably different. I think we all start believing the hype. My thoughts, and have been since reading these injury reports over the past couple of years, they need to take a serious look at their strength and conditioning program. If that is as weak as it seems, then get it going and in a couple of years, you will have found a replacement for JLS. The players they have now can not execute the plays they have. Alabama is monstrous. Hard to find a weakness, except for the demented arrogant coach, but that is another subject.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:35 am

I didn't get to watch th game since I was watching FSU....but it appears that Bama's defense is the best this side of the NFL...

No SEC team scored more than 14 against them last year and LSU scored 9 total points in two games....They appear to be on that schedule for this year.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:16 am

I'm waiting for someone to realize the key to Bama is pin your ears back and play cream the QB with edge pressure and inside rush blitz on run and choice downs. The way WVU did Oklahoma with their "All World" QB Bradford. You can change the game completely with enough abuse!
Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
R. Reagan

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:41 am

WoVeU wrote:I'm waiting for someone to realize the key to Bama is pin your ears back and play cream the QB with edge pressure and inside rush blitz on run and choice downs. The way WVU did Oklahoma with their "All World" QB Bradford. You can change the game completely with enough abuse!

That's easier said than done. You have to get past some future NFL big uglies to make it all work.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:06 am

I never thought John L Smith was a good hire, but he may have been the only hire that Arkansas could make given the circumstances. What is wrong isn't his fault. I think that needs to be clear. It was the people who hired Petrino and the man himself. Arkansas should have known who Petrino was when they hired him. Tigers do not change their stripes. I actually think Petrino did Arkansas a favor. I think him getting fired saved Arkansas from some NCAA sanctions down the road.

It is a shame that This happened at Arkansas, but like Ohio State, they new what they were getting when they hired him. So now that the situation has blown up, it is up to the school to dig out. It's up to them to make decisions on hiring based more than just solely on a guy who can win - no matter the cost.

John L isn't a good coach and he is nuts (IMO) but none of this is really his doing. That blame lies with the guy who hired Bobby Petrino and expected a different result than any other place he has been.

Dossenator

Postby Dossenator » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:11 am

Bama is beatable and Ark does have the talent this year. They have a clown leading the ship. If you were close to the program who would see how dis functional it has become in three weeks with John L.

Arkansas was moving ball in first half and the defense was stopping Bama. Bama only had 94 rushing yards heading into 4th quarter but by that time the Ark team quit on John L. Crazy stupid mistakes by John L put Ark in a bad situation...like changing the long snapper. He admitted after the game he made a bone head decision. With Tyler in the game that game is within a TD at half even with spotting Bama 7 on the bad snap. The team just simply quit on John L late in first half and completely folder early 3rd quarter. They. See the lack of leadership. Kids are not dumb.

Bama had less than 50 yards deep into 2nd quarter. The defense played well enough to win. Not having Tyler killed them on offense. Ark had receivers open all first half, and was picking up 3-4 yards a carry. Turnovers, most not forced, killed them. The freshman QB made some terrible throws that Tyler would not have made.

John L MUST go.

Dossenator

Postby Dossenator » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:22 am

I agree the sins of Bobby put Ark in this situation and John L has compounded the problem. Ark should of had Tim Horton coach this season until a new one was named later this year. Horton has been on Arkansas staff for 15-16 yeas now, he is highly respected, and would at least have control of the licker room and sideline.

Last night as the game began you should have seen the two sidelines. Bama super organized in little pods getting coached. Looked like that all game long. Ark sideline was disorganized from the beginning, no rhyme or reason, no purpose, NO LEADERSHIP, and John L checked out before the game ever began. He is there for the payday and that it all. He does need the money due to going bankrupt a few weeks ago. He just laughs everything off and everything is a joke to him. When your coach has a deer in head lights look in every game then it does not instill confidence in your players.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:43 am

The problem with hiring Horton, as I see it, would be his retention. Ohio State put Luke Fickle in that position last year. He was head coach with no say on who his staff was going to be. No power even over the offense. Now, this year he is co defensive co-ordinator and because of last year he is getting the blame for this defense. I think he has less power over the defense this year than he did last year. We have taken a good coach with a bright future and smashed his reputation. You Don't want that to happen to Horton. But it would have if he was made coach for a year.

Bad as John L is, he is the easy guy to throw out with the bath water at the end of the year.

Dossenator

Postby Dossenator » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:17 pm

He has had a headset on but not once in any of the thre games has he said anything into it. Never pulled the microphone in front of his mouth. He has been nothing but a spectator. This team won 10 games two years ago, and this year is pretty much the exact team that won 11 games last year. This shows you the value of a quality coach and a leader at QB. Hogs lost their coach in Petrino and Tyler has missed a game and a half.

Return to “General Discussion”