This sums it up for me...

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Dossenator

Re: This sums it up for me...

Postby Dossenator » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:06 pm

This goes to show what havng an elite coach means to your team. Look at the New Orleans Saints for example: won Super Bowl 2 years ago, deep into playoffs last year, and 0-2 to start this season with an interim coach.
"A team with something to play for is dangerous, but a team with someone to play for is unstoppable..." Arkansas OL Brey Cook quote following the death of teammate Garrett Uekman (Nov. 2011).

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:48 am

Is it true that Smith only has a one season contract?
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Eric

Postby Eric » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:40 am

billybud wrote:Is it true that Smith only has a one season contract?

I'm pretty sure he does. He accepted the job at Weber State and then Arkansas came calling at the last minute for a quick fix.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:52 am

Eric wrote:
billybud wrote:Is it true that Smith only has a one season contract?

I'm pretty sure he does. He accepted the job at Weber State and then Arkansas came calling at the last minute for a quick fix.

He agreed to come in for a year.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:58 am

That was my understanding. Smith is a character. Is he a big school coach, probably not. But he has integrity. The problem I have with schools like Arkansas is they are always looking for scapegoats. Smith is not the problem. He may not be the solution, but he is not the problem
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:17 pm

donovan wrote:That was my understanding. Smith is a character. Is he a big school coach, probably not. But he has integrity. The problem I have with schools like Arkansas is they are always looking for scapegoats. Smith is not the problem. He may not be the solution, but he is not the problem

That is right. Smith is not the solution. He really isn't the problem either. He wasn't an unknown commodity. Arkansas knew what they were getting. They just hoped he could survive the year without much problem. He was never going to be considered to be head coach after this year, no matter what anyone told him.

The problem at Arkansas - and most everywhere else in division one - is they put winning above anything else when hiring a coach - then are surprised when it backfires on them. It is the reason Ohio State has problems, the reason Penn State has problems, USC, or just pick a school. They all are guilty to different degrees. When they get so bad, they get knocked back to earth and have to climb the ladder again.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Dossenator

Postby Dossenator » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:18 pm

Arkansas did not call John L Smith. John L Smith called Arkansas and asked if he could come and help out. He said he received permission from Weber State first. This was not even an option until he contacted Ark. Wish he would have never made that call. I am not saying he is all the problem but he is a lot of the problem.

He has admitted he does not know what to do or say. No passion, no enthusiasm, no discipline, and no answers. Petrino was a hard nose, attention to detail, put the fear of God in you coach. He had a plan and the players responded. They worked hard. This current staff is laid back and lacks focus. The team has taken on the personality of it's current head coach. Undisipliciplined. Tyler Ilson finally called them out and said many on the team have quit and that things have been going wrong for awhile (I think this is a statement directed to the team and coaches). Players did not always like Petrino but they were prepared to battle come game day.

John L entered his press conference today all smiles, laughing, and said why us no one smiling? Nothing but jokes and wise cracks from this guy at a time these young men need leadership. It is unfair to Tuler Wilson to be put into the situation he is in. If John L was doing his job then he would show the passion and frustration that Tyler is showing. After the Bama game John L said I don't know what to say and that's what I told the players. Tyler had enough and spoke his mind after the clown had nothing to say.

So much for John L having integrity. Until the motorcycle ride Petrino was bashed almost exclusively for leaving schools early and after saying he never wanted to leave. John L gave a press conference at Weber State saying he was home and wanted to retire there. Then he is the one that sought after the Arkansas job and left Weber State high and dry in the spring. So if everyone is going to bash Petrino for doing that where is the out rage towards John L?

Everyday he is the coach the program takes another step backwards. I literally get sick at my stomach hearing him speak now.

And thank God his contract was only for a 10 month period. He has said on several occasions he wants to remain the coach after the 10 months. He does desperately needs the money after filing for bankruptcy last week

Sorry for all the typos and errors. I am on my iPhone right now. Fat fingers and small screen. I am too lazy to go back and fix it. I guess I am also taking on the personality of the Arkansas head coach.
"A team with something to play for is dangerous, but a team with someone to play for is unstoppable..." Arkansas OL Brey Cook quote following the death of teammate Garrett Uekman (Nov. 2011).

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:51 am

And this year started with so much promise for the Razerbacks....

I do know that coaching makes a difference. I watched as Bobby and his older crew aged out and I can see the difference that Jimbo and his staff bring in. I do think it is the assistants more than the coach....and how the kids relate to their position coach and the OC/DC.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:58 pm

Spence wrote:
WoVeU wrote:I'm waiting for someone to realize the key to Bama is pin your ears back and play cream the QB with edge pressure and inside rush blitz on run and choice downs. The way WVU did Oklahoma with their "All World" QB Bradford. You can change the game completely with enough abuse!

That's easier said than done. You have to get past some future NFL big uglies to make it all work.

Even if that is true I am still bringing it even if I have to bring 9 every time. They only throw enough to keep it honest and I would disallow that honesty by 1st quarters end even if it is 21 - 0! They are going to know they were in a game.

And I don't buy that they are as All World as everyone already claims. I see them being tough and disciplined and taking advantage of many mistakes by the opponent. Which is always good, and it is great early in the season.

And I'd make their fat Hogs run on D, even if I have to go backwards to do it, most things would be misdirection....and I'd tell them if they sniff it out...run and keep running, traverse the field twice if you can even if you give up 35 to do it. Then in the 2nd Quarter I pound them 2/3 of the downs with a 7 man line, H-Back and Bone set, direct snap to the FB. O-line hits the D-line at upper thigh and the big FBs from the Bone (read as 320lb Guard/Tackle) comes across the back of the O-line and busts them in the diaphragm! Then one down of 5 Wides and misdirection marathoning. Then mid 3rd we start getting to some normalish football.
Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
R. Reagan

bama_girl
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby bama_girl » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:09 pm

"smile! smile!!!"

what the c r a p?

i love underdogs n arkansas is now my second favorite team. haven't had one of those in a while.
The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire. ~Mark Twain

Return to “General Discussion”