College football's most sought after coach = NFL??? hope not

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Larry

College football's most sought after coach = NFL??? hope not

Postby Larry » Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:08 pm

Kirk Ferentz received six head coaching offers the past 3 years by NFL teams. Now he will be "visiting" the Houston Texans next week. Four other NFL teams have contacted him in recent weeks as well (including Green Bay & Kansas City). I sure hope he stays at IOWA, but his son (Brian Ferentz) graduates this spring (he was IOWA's center on the football team). Right now, I'm crossing my fingers????

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:02 pm

I hear the NFL has been after him for a few years now. I hope he stays at Iowa ..... college football needs all the good coaches and good guys that do it the right way they can get.

Postby Guest » Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:17 pm

You got that right. When Iowa lost Hayden Fry, Bobby Stoops & Kirk Ferentz were both hoping to replace him. Glad it was Ferentz. Hawkeye fans are now scared, cuz they don't know if they would "luck out again" with a coach that could do as well as Ferentz (or Fry).

Eric

Postby Eric » Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:29 pm

Yeah, I don't think the Texans will be hiring Ferentz. #1 like you said, he wants to be in Iowa City for his children, #2 he loves Iowa, and #3 I think he isn't Houston's main guy. They're going for a coordinator of some sort. Kirk, don't go man! Houston is going to take 5 years to rebuild, as they still look like an expansion team. Remember what the NFL stands for, the No Fun League and Not For Long!

Yep, Greg Kubiak is the height of the Texan's intrest. I think he'll be hired. He's the offensive coordinator for the Denver Broncos, in case you didn't know. Christopher Foote was throwing his name around for the Colorado job, I think he'd make a great coach. But, as the way the NFL is, he's expected to take crappy players and make them winners and wave a magic wand within 3 years. My problem with the NFL is they aren't patient enough. It's the GM's job, and sometimes partly the coache's, to get good players. Don't use the coach as a scapegoat (Matt Millen ).
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:55 pm

I see where Coach Ferentz has withdrawn his name from NFL consideration. :D

Eric

Postby Eric » Sun Jan 15, 2006 4:43 pm

Well, if Kubiak doesn't take Vince Young, he'll be in for a long 3 years before he'd be able to get anything done because he couldn't get anything done because he doesn't have a magic wand to wave and make the Texas Superbowl contenders. He'll win 3 games, then 4 games, then 5 games, and when he'd be on the verge of breaking through, they'll fire him and the process starts all over again. The thing NFL GMs don't understand is that in order to build a winning team, you need the nucleus of your team to stay and grow together for 5 years maybe. Are they looking at what Mike Holmgren has accomplished?

Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Yeofoot » Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:03 pm

One of the rumors I've been hearing, that I'm praying to be true is that Houston is talking with the Dolphins about a trade, Ricky Williams + 3rd Round draft pick for David Carr. If that happened, I might have to move to Houston.

Larry

Ferentz : Big Ten or NFL

Postby Larry » Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:46 pm

Looks like it's Big Ten (at least for 2006). I certainly can't blame him -- steady job, none of the "huge headaches" of the 'big cities'. (You could not pay me to battle the traffic & stress of this Country's big cities).

Eric

Postby Eric » Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:34 pm

I congratulate Ferentz, he made the right move. You seriously can't think about having a stable job in the NFL. You get hired to get fired as they always say. I mean, how many Bill Cowhers and Tony Dungys are you going to find who coach very solid football teams every single season? When you are trying the turnaround process, you had better have a patient GM, because it'll take you 4 or 5 years to get it done before they are ready for the Superbowl.

Return to “General Discussion”