Bad Day for the Big Tenish

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Bad Day for the Big Tenish

Postby billybud » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:12 am

Although some conference teams had nice wins, all in all...I think that the tone was set more by the losers than the winners...

Although OSU's struggle with Toledo was the most visible negative....Minnesota losing at home to New Mexico State was the primary conference downer.

Iowa's loss to Iowa State, Penn State's double digit loss to Bama, Purdue's loss to Rice, Indiana's loss to Virginia added to a bad weekend.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Eric

Re: Bad Day for the Big Tenish

Postby Eric » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:26 am

We've had worse :lol:

Indiana, Purdue, and Minnesota are all horrific this year (no offense GoBoilers). I don't think there's any shame in losing to Alabama, especially since Penn State is probably the fifth or sixth best team in the conference. And Iowa State / Iowa is usually a close one.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:57 pm

Not a great day. I agree.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Brian Roastbeef
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby Brian Roastbeef » Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:34 pm

The nature of Michigan's win automatically makes it a great day, whatever else happened. :wink:

Yeah, Penn State's loss was about as expected. Ohio St. struggling against Toledo is scary though... Miami next week - I wonder if the heard mentality will panic them into a favorable line, just as they did to TCU and Auburn this week. Safe to say both teams have had more than their share of issues lately, so I'd be wary of touching that game even so.

Purdue I know isn't great, but that was still a pretty bad loss. Isn't this supposed to be the part of the season wherein Purdue goes 5-1, just to work it back to 6-6 when all is said and done? (no offense, GoBoilers. We really do feel your pain here.)

Minnesota's win is also pretty bad, really, when considering the fact that they hung with USC last week. NMSt. is okay, but they aren't one of those stunner non-BCS teams. This win might upgrade their year to 7-6 instead of 6-7...

Iowa, I don't know what to expect out of this year. They always seem to be magnificently underestimated, but this year... they're just estimated, I guess.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:11 pm

Minnesota won? Dang...I missed that...

You had me looking it up...Minnesota lost to New Mexico State...
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

GoBoilers
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby GoBoilers » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:39 pm

billybud wrote:Although some conference teams had nice wins, all in all...I think that the tone was set more by the losers than the winners...

Although OSU's struggle with Toledo was the most visible negative....Minnesota losing at home to New Mexico State was the primary conference downer.

Iowa's loss to Iowa State, Penn State's double digit loss to Bama, Purdue's loss to Rice, Indiana's loss to Virginia added to a bad weekend.
I was at the Purdue/Rice game. We are toast. The kids have the effort but, several bad bounces and some questionable coaching calls doomed us. Yes, Purdue and much of the Big Ten look horrible! I would cancel my trip to watcn ND @ Purdue but, it's already paid for!
The preceding statements are solely the opinion of GoBoilers and are, therefore, probably not based whatsoever on fact, research or more time in thought than what was required to physically type them. They're probably correct anyway, so you shouldn't argue too much, because otherwise he'll just blather on forever. On the internet Al Gore invented.

Brian Roastbeef
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby Brian Roastbeef » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:44 pm

billybud wrote:Minnesota won? Dang...I missed that...

You had me looking it up...Minnesota lost to New Mexico State...

Bah... I meant Minnesota's loss... My post was about the Big 10s losses. Sorry to screw up and make anybody think Minnesota won. They are indeed looking quite crappy this year.

And to clear up further confusion, this sentence: This win might upgrade their year to 7-6 instead of 6-7... was in reference to NM St, who will have a tough time with their other OOC games, but should be reasonably okay with most of the non-Utah State part of the WAC schedule

ktffan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby ktffan » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:03 pm

Eric wrote:We've had worse :lol:

Indiana, Purdue, and Minnesota are all horrific this year (no offense GoBoilers). I don't think there's any shame in losing to Alabama, especially since Penn State is probably the fifth or sixth best team in the conference. And Iowa State / Iowa is usually a close one.

When? Only the 3rd time since 2000 the Big Ten has lost 5 or more non-conference games in a regular season week.

http://www.cfbtrivia.com/cfbt_records.p ... 5&splwk=on

Only the 41st time ever:

http://www.cfbtrivia.com/cfbt_records.p ... 5&splwk=on

Return to “General Discussion”