OSU could vacate wins

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

OSU could vacate wins

Postby billybud » Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:06 pm

Since Tressel has been proven to have played ineligible players...and since the NCAA has vacated wins (whether the school knew or not)...it seems that OSU should vacate wins and its Big 10 title.

Especially since Tressel lied...

http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/spo ... t-Tressel/
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Re: OSU could vacate wins

Postby Spence » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:13 pm

billybud wrote:Since Tressel has been proven to have played ineligible players...and since the NCAA has vacated wins (whether the school knew or not)...it seems that OSU should vacate wins and its Big 10 title.

Especially since Tressel lied...

http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/spo ... t-Tressel/

I think if vacating wins was all that were coming Ohio State would be doing flips in the endzone. It doesn't look like they are going to get failure to moniter or lack of institutional control, but I would think that they will probably lose between 5 and 10 scholarships a year for three or so years and no bowls for that many. Not much Ohio State can do to fight it, they are guilty. Nothing coming out of the NCAA allegations that Ohio State didn't turn themselves in for already, so that is good for Ohio State. They are going to get slapped lots harder than lots think though,
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Dossenator

Postby Dossenator » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:23 pm

Article from Fox Sports:
http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootbal ... ?GT1=39002

You know Dez Bryant lied to NCAA investigators and was suspended for an entire season. He did not violate any NCAA rules but he did lie. Now we have a coach who lied....at minimum a one year suspension would be far.
"A team with something to play for is dangerous, but a team with someone to play for is unstoppable..." Arkansas OL Brey Cook quote following the death of teammate Garrett Uekman (Nov. 2011).

Dossenator

Postby Dossenator » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:25 pm

Also, if they have to vacate wins....does that mean Arkansas gets that nice Sugar Bowl trophy from last season.
"A team with something to play for is dangerous, but a team with someone to play for is unstoppable..." Arkansas OL Brey Cook quote following the death of teammate Garrett Uekman (Nov. 2011).

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:01 pm

Dossenator wrote:Also, if they have to vacate wins....does that mean Arkansas gets that nice Sugar Bowl trophy from last season.

No, because the NCAA deemed the players eligible in that game. It would be for all other games that the players were not eligible to play in. And yes, that is stupid.

Dossenator

Postby Dossenator » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:11 pm

Spence wrote:
Dossenator wrote:Also, if they have to vacate wins....does that mean Arkansas gets that nice Sugar Bowl trophy from last season.

No, because the NCAA deemed the players eligible in that game. It would be for all other games that the players were not eligible to play in. And yes, that is stupid.

I for one don't want Arkansas to have the trophy....they did not win the game. However, how can players be eligible for a post season bowl after they have been ruled ineligible for the entire season. You are right....stupid.

I think the real loser in all of this madness is USC. The Trojans were slammed for 2 years no bowl, had to vacate wins (including a NC), Reggie Bush had to give back his Heisman, and a loss of 30 scholarships to be spread out over three years. And the NCAA findings could not connect any coach to the Reggie Bush situation. Yet teams like North Carolina, Ohio State, Auburn, Oregon (and the list could on and on) will only get a few games, and a slap on the wrist. Either they need to remove the remainder of USC's penalties or they need to treat everyone fairly. The big beef with USC is that they were playing an ineligible player. Well, Ohio State played 5 ineligible players for a whole season, and we have proof the coach knew about it and lied. If you go by precedent then Ohio State's punishment should be equal too what USC is going through right now. I would feel the same way if Arkansas was ever caught cheating in this way.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:52 pm

Dossenator wrote:
Spence wrote:

I for one don't want Arkansas to have the trophy....they did not win the game. However, how can players be eligible for a post season bowl after they have been ruled ineligible for the entire season. You are right....stupid.

That was my point as well.

I think Ohio State will get something on the order of what USC got. The difference, though, between SC and Ohio State is that the USC AD Garrett, thumbed his nose and fought the NCAA and Ohio State turned themselves in before any one knew about any of this. That doesn't excuse the coach signing a document that said he knew of no violations when in fact he did know of violations by at least two of his players. He didn't, though, fight the school compliance office or later the NCAA. Garrett did. Doesn't excuse him from what he did, but I think that is what saved the school from a "failure to monitor" or a "lack of institutional control". I don't look for Ohio State to only vacate games and that isn't what I am hearing the school thinks they are going to get. That is what lots of fans are hoping to get, but I don't think it is reality, nor should it be. Coach was not truthful when he signed that document in September and there is no excuse for that, no matter what his reason for doing it. (the real reason really has never came out) I believe that the coach did tell Gene Smith and Gene Smith didn't act - which is worse for them to admit and would constitute a worse penalty. I think that coach should have taken it to compliance when GS didn't, but that didn't happen. I think they decided that Tress was already in trouble no matter what and they are looking to save the school from a tougher penalty. Tress has always covered his butt in every situation and he had nothing when this came up, so it blind sided him. That could only happen if he had covered himself and they decided to cover that up.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:19 pm

This is an interview by Tim May and Chris Spielman on the Tressel situation. There is no bigger Buckeye than Chris, but he believes in accountability. I agree with his take on this whole thing.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=6425980

GoBoilers
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby GoBoilers » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:06 pm

Sad state of affairs for anyone's school! Just hope I could make the right decisions if I were facing an ethical situation of this magnitude. Ultimately it goes to $$$.
The preceding statements are solely the opinion of GoBoilers and are, therefore, probably not based whatsoever on fact, research or more time in thought than what was required to physically type them. They're probably correct anyway, so you shouldn't argue too much, because otherwise he'll just blather on forever. On the internet Al Gore invented.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:14 pm

GoBoilers wrote:Sad state of affairs for anyone's school! Just hope I could make the right decisions if I were facing an ethical situation of this magnitude. Ultimately it goes to $$$.

As a head coach you are paid to be able to make the right decisions. All he had to do is walk the information down the hall to compliance and let them handle it. He didn't, know matter what, he didn't do that and that was the one thing that was the easiest to do.

GoBoilers
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby GoBoilers » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:40 pm

Spence wrote:
GoBoilers wrote:Sad state of affairs for anyone's school! Just hope I could make the right decisions if I were facing an ethical situation of this magnitude. Ultimately it goes to $$$.

As a head coach you are paid to be able to make the right decisions. All he had to do is walk the information down the hall to compliance and let them handle it. He didn't, know matter what, he didn't do that and that was the one thing that was the easiest to do.

Yup. Gotta think heads will roll. I really like the guy, too. As much as I love college athletics it is also the reason I haven't been quite as rabid the past 10 years.
The preceding statements are solely the opinion of GoBoilers and are, therefore, probably not based whatsoever on fact, research or more time in thought than what was required to physically type them. They're probably correct anyway, so you shouldn't argue too much, because otherwise he'll just blather on forever. On the internet Al Gore invented.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:09 pm

I agree, it sucks he did what he did. He will have to pay the price, what ever it ends up being, including maybe being fired. I like him him too. Always have, which is funny because I have never been a fan of his coaching style. The man, though, I have always liked and I think it is a shame he did this to himself. Like most problems people have, though, they mostly have to look in the mirror to find someone to blame.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:39 am

He screwed up....this NCAA thing is so out of control. Let the school decide what they want to do. They get to decide what type of institution they want to be, not some self assuming morally superior self righteous nincompoopish blatherskites.

Killing mosquitoes on your forehead with sledge hammers.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:26 am

Hey...that worked for Auburn!
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:05 pm

donovan wrote:He screwed up....this NCAA thing is so out of control. Let the school decide what they want to do. They get to decide what type of institution they want to be, not some self assuming morally superior self righteous nincompoopish blatherskites.

Killing mosquitoes on your forehead with sledge hammers.

What the coach did was worse than what the players did. The players sold their own property for less than market value. The coach knew and didn't turn them in. I agree that the rule on the original offense is silly, but you change the rule you don't break it.

Return to “General Discussion”