Top 10 vs Current Top 25 teams

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Dossenator

Top 10 vs Current Top 25 teams

Postby Dossenator » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:29 pm

Current Coaches Poll Top 10 (as of Nov. 28, 2010)
#1 Oregon - 1-0 - Stanford
#2 Auburn - 5-0 - Miss St, SC, Ark, LSU, Bama
#3 TCU - 1-0 - Utah
#4 Wisc - 1-1 - Mich St(L), Ohio St(W)
#5 Stan - 0-1 - Oregon(L)
#6 Ohio St - 0-1 - Wisc(L)
#7 Mich St - 1-0 - Wisc(W)
#8 Arkansas - 4-2 - Bama(L), Aub(L), A&M(W), SC(W), Miss St(W), LSU(W)
#9 OU - 2-2 - Mizzou(L), A&M(L), FSU(W), Ok St(W)
#10 Boise - 1-1 - VT(W), Nevada(L)

This is why Arkansas is undervalued at #8....tougher road and faired 4-2 vs top 25 teams (with 3 of those wins on the road....at South Carolina, at Miss State, Texas A&M in Dallas).

Auburn is 5-0 vs top 25....that's top (not sure how Oregon can be ranked above Auburn after looking at this).

Only Oklahoma has more than 1 win against a top 25 team out of the teams ranked in the top 10 (2-2 record).

And Stanford and Ohio State have not beat a current ranked top 25 team this year.
"A team with something to play for is dangerous, but a team with someone to play for is unstoppable..." Arkansas OL Brey Cook quote following the death of teammate Garrett Uekman (Nov. 2011).

Eric

Re: Top 10 vs Current Top 25 teams

Postby Eric » Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:20 pm

Mississippi State is decent, not great and Arkansas faced Texas A&M before they got hot. Not that Arkansas' schedule isn't difficult but I don't know if "undervalued" is the word I would use to describe their ranking. It won't matter much anyway since they'll be in the BCS.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Dossenator

Postby Dossenator » Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:25 pm

Eric wrote:Mississippi State is decent, not great and Arkansas faced Texas A&M before they got hot. Not that Arkansas' schedule isn't difficult but I don't know if "undervalued" is the word I would use to describe their ranking. It won't matter much anyway since they'll be in the BCS.

They won't be in the BCS if South Carolina beats Auburn next Saturday.
"A team with something to play for is dangerous, but a team with someone to play for is unstoppable..." Arkansas OL Brey Cook quote following the death of teammate Garrett Uekman (Nov. 2011).

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:04 pm

By just the "body of work", a 9-2 Arkansas might well be considered undervalued in relation to 11-1 Ohio State. Arkansas does have one more loss...but did play a much tougher schedule. (edit...10-2 Arkansas)

But, in head to head...I think that OSU would give up three points on the line.
Last edited by billybud on Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Dossenator

Postby Dossenator » Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:39 pm

billybud wrote:By just the "body of work", a 9-2 Arkansas might well be considered undervalued in relation to 10-1 Ohio State. Arkansas does have one more loss...but did play a much tougher schedule.

You mean 10-2 Ark and 11-1 Ohio State. If this game does indeed take place then I expect Ohio State to be favored.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:31 pm

Dossenator wrote:
billybud wrote:By just the "body of work", a 9-2 Arkansas might well be considered undervalued in relation to 10-1 Ohio State. Arkansas does have one more loss...but did play a much tougher schedule.

You mean 10-2 Ark and 11-1 Ohio State. If this game does indeed take place then I expect Ohio State to be favored.

I would expect Arkansas to be favored. I have seen both play, Ohio State several times and I think Arkansas is a better team. I will pick Ohio State in my bowl picks, though, because I always pick Ohio State. :mrgreen:
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

armchairqb
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby armchairqb » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:07 am

Eric wrote:Mississippi State is decent, not great and Arkansas faced Texas A&M before they got hot. Not that Arkansas' schedule isn't difficult but I don't know if "undervalued" is the word I would use to describe their ranking. It won't matter much anyway since they'll be in the BCS.

On paper, Mississippi State is decent at best. Their coaching staff has done very well with a talent base that might be marginally better than under their previous coaching staff.

South Carolina definitely has a chance to beat Auburn. The "old ball coach" knows a thing or two about preparing for a big time matchup. Though the chances are greater for Auburn to win the SEC Championship.
"A complimentary breakfast isn't supposed to make you feel better about yourself." -Captain Obvious

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:11 am

South Carolina has a good defense. Any team with a good defense can win. Auburn should be primed and ready for this game, though, so I think Auburn will be ready to play.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Dossenator

Postby Dossenator » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:29 am

armchairqb wrote:

On paper, Mississippi State is decent at best. Their coaching staff has done very well with a talent base that might be marginally better than under their previous coaching staff.

South Carolina definitely has a chance to beat Auburn. The "old ball coach" knows a thing or two about preparing for a big time matchup. Though the chances are greater for Auburn to win the SEC Championship.

Just a couple weeks ago the ole ball coach and South Carolina had a bg game against Arkansas in Columbia South Carolina. Hogs destroyed them....up by 31 points in the 4th quarter....and won by 21. I think Auburn rolls in this game...at least I am praying to the football gods to make it happen.

ktffan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby ktffan » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:21 pm

Dossenator wrote:Current Coaches Poll Top 10 (as of Nov. 28, 2010)
#3 TCU - 1-0 - Utah

This is why Arkansas is undervalued at #8....tougher road and faired 4-2 vs top 25 teams (with 3 of those wins on the road....at South Carolina, at Miss State, Texas A&M in Dallas).

Auburn is 5-0 vs top 25....that's top (not sure how Oregon can be ranked above Auburn after looking at this).

Only Oklahoma has more than 1 win against a top 25 team out of the teams ranked in the top 10 (2-2 record).

And Stanford and Ohio State have not beat a current ranked top 25 team this year.

Stanford beat Arizona, which is top 25 BCS:

http://www.cfbtrivia.com/cfbt_detail.ph ... on&tNIA=on

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:11 pm

Yep Arizona is...But he labeled his information as "Coaches Poll"....he is correct in his post.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:11 pm

Who is Colley?

I think that question says it all.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Dossenator

Postby Dossenator » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:13 am

ktffan wrote:
Dossenator wrote:Current Coaches Poll Top 10 (as of Nov. 28, 2010)
#3 TCU - 1-0 - Utah

Stanford beat Arizona, which is top 25 BCS:

http://www.cfbtrivia.com/cfbt_detail.ph ... on&tNIA=on

Well, they won't be now. Arizona just lost to Arizona State. So Stanfords big win is against a 7-5 team with a losing Pac-10 record.

Return to “General Discussion”