Newsflash!: Michigan's Defense Still Otherworldly Horrendous

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Eric

Newsflash!: Michigan's Defense Still Otherworldly Horrendous

Postby Eric » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:07 pm

Michigan's offense has turned the ball over a few too many times and given them bad field position, but Illinois is getting a in a groove and marching down the field with ease. This is going to be a 50 pointer for the Illini I think. Denard hasn't done all that well today throwing behind some people, but one man can only do so much.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Brian Roastbeef
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Re: Newsflash!: Michigan's Defense Still Otherworldly Horrendous

Postby Brian Roastbeef » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:13 pm

Robinson would be having a good day if not for his two picks...

Illinois offense meanwhile looks balanced in that scary sort of way. Maybe a little more skewed toward the running game, but it's working for them.

Brian Roastbeef
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby Brian Roastbeef » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:25 pm

Robinson 45 yd pass to take the lead... so it's going to be one of those games... Well, most would prefer a steady offense than having to rely on making the big passes every drive. Still, I can see this one finishing 52-49.

(Heading off to check what the O/U was...)

Eric

Postby Eric » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:28 pm

Brian Roastbeef wrote:Robinson 45 yd pass to take the lead... so it's going to be one of those games... Well, most would prefer a steady offense than having to rely on making the big passes every drive. Still, I can see this one finishing 52-49.

I think Illinois was favored by 3.5 over Michigan.

RazorHawk
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby RazorHawk » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:30 pm

Eric wrote:
Brian Roastbeef wrote:Robinson 45 yd pass to take the lead... so it's going to be one of those games... Well, most would prefer a steady offense than having to rely on making the big passes every drive. Still, I can see this one finishing 52-49.

Michigan was favored by 3.
Hawkeye and Razorback fan in Florida

Brian Roastbeef
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby Brian Roastbeef » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:36 pm

RazorHawk wrote:
Eric wrote:

Michigan was favored by 3.

Yeah it was Michigan by 3, standard home field advantage line... But I meant the over/under. (Combined point total)

That was 58.5... which they have now already passed before halftime.

Eric

Postby Eric » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:37 pm

62 points at halftime? Let's see if any of the surrounding schools have any middleschoolers who would like to play defense in this, I'm sure they would provide roughly the same amount of resistance :lol:

Grayghost
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby Grayghost » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:56 pm

Eric wrote:62 points at halftime? Let's see if any of the surrounding schools have any middleschoolers who would like to play defense in this, I'm sure they would provide roughly the same amount of resistance :lol:

I thought I was looking at a Big 10 basketball score for a second. :shock:
I dont care who wins as long as Notre Dame loses!

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:31 pm

Again...kicking and punting seem to be lacking, steadily worse over the last few years across the NCAA.
Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
R. Reagan

Grayghost
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby Grayghost » Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:43 pm

This had to be a preview of Big 10 basketball...had to. 132 points!? Are you kidding me?
I dont care who wins as long as Notre Dame loses!

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:24 am

Eric wrote:Michigan's offense has turned the ball over a few too many times and given them bad field position, but Illinois is getting a in a groove and marching down the field with ease. This is going to be a 50 pointer for the Illini I think. Denard hasn't done all that well today throwing behind some people, but one man can only do so much.

I'm with you...except on the other side of the ball...Ga defense is alive and well and playing like World beaters....but the offense is NOT clicking with Murray.

The have the best reciever in the country and can't seem to find him.

I went to the Georgia game yesterday and watched Murray throw about 3-4 passes in the dirt. It's getting kinda old.

Pics from the Ga/Idaho State game...http://www.dscsgroup.org/photos/main.php?g2_itemId=690
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

silverfox
Coordinator
Coordinator

Postby silverfox » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:38 am

Derek wrote:
Eric wrote:Michigan's offense has turned the ball over a few too many times and given them bad field position, but Illinois is getting a in a groove and marching down the field with ease. This is going to be a 50 pointer for the Illini I think. Denard hasn't done all that well today throwing behind some people, but one man can only do so much.

I'm with you...except on the other side of the ball...Ga defense is alive and well and playing like World beaters....but the offense is NOT clicking with Murray.

The have the best reciever in the country and can't seem to find him.

I went to the Georgia game yesterday and watched Murray throw about 3-4 passes in the dirt. It's getting kinda old.

Pics from the Ga/Idaho State game...http://www.dscsgroup.org/photos/main.php?g2_itemId=690

Congratulations on that win against Idaho State. That second quarter must have been a fun blow-out.
Win or Lose - IT'S HOW YOU HYPE THE OUTCOME! BCS logic: When teams in the AQ conferences lose, it shows how tough those conferences are; when teams in non-AQ conferences lose, it is weakness.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:07 am

Friday's game should push Michigan's defense into near last in the nation in defense. This should be a glaring, although extreme, example that offense is complete over -rated in it's importance over defense. CFB needs to get back to real x's and o's, block and tackle football and quit passing this crap off for football. It is football like soccer is football. It says something when Boise State looks more like Michigan than Michigan. Ohio State is built much the same way, except they have lots more speed on defense, but they have a soft belly. Have had for five years. Iowa and Wisconsin still play football they way it was meant to be played. Hopefully the fact that they are winning against this other crap will tell the other teams something. The B-10 looks like the freakin Sun Belt. :roll:
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:49 pm

Spence wrote:This should be a glaring, although extreme, example that offense is complete over -rated in it's importance over defense.

It's kind of the same thing that happened to Louisville; Petrino left `em with almost no defense, instead, stacking all his eggs in the offensive basket ... now, the Cardinals are struggling to get back to a balnced team.

You can see quite nearly the same thing happening at Arkansas, presently; the Razorback passing game is tremendous, yet, they have been giving up alot on defense ... it's starting to look like that old Petrino we're use to.

Spence wrote:It is football like soccer is football.

I get the reference, though, soccer is a sport with very little scoring. 8)

The Love affair with the speedy little offense will become a fizzled flicker on the wick of a burnt out candle inside the Bigger conferences.

It may be fun to watch, but, when those smaller teams start getting beat up during the regular season by stronger defenses, it will all fall by the way side ... as these high profile schools will not accept flashy offensive pizazz as compensation for a lack of W's.

Like all things, we see the benefits before the larger picture, and short comings. And we have seen what the quick springy offense play is all about ... now, those offenses are starting to wane, as the well built defensive programs are flexing their muscle, holding the squirrely trickards in check ... while their traditional offenses are putting numbers on their deficient counter parts; due to putting too much faith in one aspect of the game, and not focusing on the other ( i.e. preventing the opponent from scoring ).

The quick spread works in smaller conferences, because the depth of the defensive rosters they're competing against isn't vast ... and, playing one worthy adversary every now & again, is easier to prepare for.

However, once inside the bigger conferences, the adjustment of said game plan suffers ... because the Defenses have deeper rosters, and rotation keeps the players fresh enough to keep up with the flash.

In the end, it will all balance itself out.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Eric

Postby Eric » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:04 pm

Does Oregon and Auburn ring a bell?

Gus Malzahn's "system" is every bit the equivalent of a team like Oregon or Michigan. They spread you out and try to get their athletes in space. You can win with different styles I think. I don't think three yards and a cloud of dust is somehow inherently more productive than Oregon's spread option.

Return to “General Discussion”