BCS Rankings: TCU leaps Boise

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Eric

BCS Rankings: TCU leaps Boise

Postby Eric » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:09 am

1. Oregon
    2. Auburn
    3. TCU
    4. Boise State
    5. Utah
    6. Alabama
    7. Nebraska
    8. Oklahoma
    9. Wisconsin
    10. LSU
    11. Ohio State
    12. Missouri
    13. Stanford
    14. Michigan State
    15. Arizona
    16. Iowa
    17. Oklahoma State
    18. Arkansas
    19. South Carolina
    20. Mississippi State
    21. Baylor
    22. Virginia Tech
    23. Nevada
    24. Florida State
    25. NC State

That's this week's BCS. I was really surprised to see TCU jump past Boise State this week. I guess they were pretty close in the human polls obviously, but the computers obviously prefer the Horned Frogs. Maybe it's TCU who we should think about for a chance to represent the non-AQ's in the title game?
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

silverfox
Coordinator
Coordinator

Re: BCS Rankings: TCU leaps Boise

Postby silverfox » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:30 am

This is not surprising. Also consider the fact that TCU has played and won two more games that BSU (9 vs. 7)and I am guessing that factors in as well. TCU still has three games left this season which includes Utah. Boise State has five games left including Hawaii, Nevada, Idaho, Fresno State and Utah State. I think the leap_FROG is basically a temporary thing for TCU if both teams win out. To take the leap over Boise State with a win over UNLV (1-7, sole win was New Mexico) shows the computers were programmed a little strange. I bet the program contains a bias which assumed UNLV would be strong this year because it is a BCS school with a strong schedule (logic dictates if most of the schedule is BCS then it must be assumed it is a stronger schedule, therefore, a non AQ team to beat a BCS team with a strong schedule is worth more in the computer bias (even if the team losing is crappy).

By the time the schedule is completed and all games are factored in I would think TCU will end behind BSU if both teams win out.

TCU's last two games are with San Diego State and New Mexico.
Win or Lose - IT'S HOW YOU HYPE THE OUTCOME! BCS logic: When teams in the AQ conferences lose, it shows how tough those conferences are; when teams in non-AQ conferences lose, it is weakness.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:38 am

Indirect wins.....a product of an education system run amok. I guess if you just say it enough, even those that use to have semblance sanity can fly over the cuckoo's nest. :roll:
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

silverfox
Coordinator
Coordinator

Postby silverfox » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:53 am

Ive said it before, I will say it again. The BCS computer formula is "weighted" for BCS schools as opposed to non-AQ schools. This jump by TCU in the BCS poll proves it. Look at UNLV's record for this year. There is no way this should have happened except for the fact it is a programmed outcome for playing a BCS school -- no matter how bad it is.

I have testified in court and in front of legislative bodies in the past about the use of computers producing outcomes. The outcome is dependent upon the variables or weights a programmer uses to produce an outcome. These BCS computers are obviously "weighted" in favor of BCS schools. If you take the BCS programmed bias out of the equation then the outcome may be noticeably different. The BCS is a semi-private organization or association. In order to be rewarded "weighting" in the computer polls you need to be a "member".

Membership has its privileges!
:wink:
Win or Lose - IT'S HOW YOU HYPE THE OUTCOME! BCS logic: When teams in the AQ conferences lose, it shows how tough those conferences are; when teams in non-AQ conferences lose, it is weakness.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:40 am

Yes....some computer algorithimns are weighted against Boise.... in that they take into account the quality of your opponents.

I LOL at the paranoid ravings about a conspiracy by the BCS that has "fixed" all of the computers.

Measuring your body of work? Oh my God! What can they be thinking to try to quantify the value of wins? Yes. All the BCS President's got together at their roundtable and said..."hey, guys...let's send this algorithmn our programers have developed that adds points if an opponent is a BCS school to all of the computer rankers and have them plug it into their rankings".

Just maybe the fact that TCU buried Baylor 45-10 (and Baylor beat Kansas State and Texas), and TCU also beat a good AFA squad 38-7 (who just lost by five ponts to Utah)just might have something to do with TCU's jump in ranking. You think?

I t isn't beating UNLV...it's the showing of the stronger teams that TCU has beaten.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

silverfox
Coordinator
Coordinator

Postby silverfox » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:54 am

billybud wrote:Yes....some computer algorithimns are weighted against Boise.... in that they take into account the quality of your opponents.

I LOL at the paranoid ravings about a conspiracy by the BCS that has "fixed" all of the computers.

Measuring your body of work? Oh my God! What can they be thinking to try to quantify the value of wins? Yes. All the BCS President's got together at their roundtable and said..."hey, guys...let's send this algorithmn our programers have developed that adds points if an opponent is a BCS school to all of the computer rankers and have them plug it into their rankings".

Just maybe the fact that TCU buried Baylor 45-10 (and Baylor beat Kansas State and Texas), and TCU also beat a good AFA squad 38-7 (who just lost by five ponts to Utah)just might have something to do with TCU's jump in ranking. You think?

I t isn't beating UNLV...it's the showing of the stronger teams that TCU has beaten.

Ok, Ok. Then where was it last week? Why this week?

And I never said it was a conspiracy. It is a business. The BCS is like a trade association. All trade associations favor their own members or otherwise they would not have a trade association.

And who are you calling paranoid?

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:12 am

Well...the computers, just like us folks, saw Baylor beat Texas. The computers, like us folks, said "hmmm".
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:38 am

And who are you calling paranoid?

Just those who have fantasys (that would be flights of fancy without factual grounding) of Mr. Sagarin or Billingsly or Massey deliberately weighting their algorithmns to favor a certain sector of schools because of that school's affiliation.

I wonder how some of these guys managed to have 30 plus IIA schools ranked higher than some BCS schools?

Don't tell me, I know. It is really a longitude based bias. If you are east of California and west of Fort Worth, the formula penalizes you.

silverfox
Coordinator
Coordinator

Postby silverfox » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:41 am

I.'m not talking about Baylor.

I'm talking about why TCU this week jumped to third?

The human polls didn't do that. The BCS computer system did.

TCU whipped UNLV. UNLV has only one win this season and that was against bottom dweller New Mexico.

But UNLV is a BCS conference school, right?

BSU beat Louisiana Tech. Louisiana Tech is a non-BCS school. Right? 3 and 5 record.

My contention is that the only reason TCU jumped is because of two elements:

1. The have already played 9 games and won all of them and Boise State has only played 7 and won all of the them.
2. There must be weight added to playing and beating a BCS school (as in UNLV) in order to jump. Both Teams won. TCU was ranked behind BSU not only last week but all season.

Therefore it is reasonable to conclude that this is only temporary once Boise State completes its season and the games even out.

I think we can all agree that UNLV is having a bad season this year despite the fact they are BCS

Eric

Postby Eric » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:43 am

UNLV plays in the Mountain West.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:45 am

UNLV is not BCS...

It was Baylor beating Texas that pushed up Baylor's stock as an opponent...for TCU.

silverfox
Coordinator
Coordinator

Postby silverfox » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:57 am

Good point. Makes it even more intriguing. My error (about UNLV affiliation) but the question looms larger.

It must be the number of games played then. The computers have probably already weighted the wins for two more games played and won than
BSU. I bet you will see a flip flop again before season end if both teams win out.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:14 pm

My problem with TCU jumping Boise State is no matter what happened "indirectly" I saw basically the same two teams play each other in January and Boise State had the better team. That was proven directly on the field. It is hard for me to overlook such things. Especially since it was the bowl match up. It isn't like they played last September.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:08 pm

billybud wrote:Yes....some computer algorithimns are weighted against Boise.... in that they take into account the quality of your opponents.

Foolish consistency is as Ralph boy said, the hobgoblin of little minds....but seem to me we can not talk about a historical body of work when it proves our point and this years schedule when it proves our point.;....but that is not the way to sway the crowds....
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:30 pm

In this case you have a head to head match up. The teams were fairly evenly matched, but the head to head matchup needs to have some weight.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Return to “General Discussion”