BCS Buster 2006

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.

Who is the Most Likely to "Bust" the BCS?

Utah
22%
Bowling Green
11%
Northern Illinois
No votes
TCU
44%
Boise State
No votes
Tulsa
No votes
Fresno State
22%
Central Florida
No votes

Total votes: 9

Eric

BCS Buster 2006

Postby Eric » Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:04 pm

If you have to pick a team, who is it?
Utah?
Bowling Green?
Northern Illinois?
TCU?

All interesting choices, but I think college football should be looking out for the Bowling Green Falcons. You'll hear it here first, I think they're going to win the MAC handily and have 1 or zero losses. I think with Omar Jacobs healthy, and they have a good core of their players coming back, that they are more likely to crack the BCS than any other school.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:19 pm

Gee, Eric.

You are way ahead of me on this. I'll have to have some time to take a look at the teams and schedules before I would even guess at something like that.

That said, with the new BCS format coming on line, sooner or later, somebody's going to make the scene. The MAC, Conference USA, Mountain West, Western Athletic or Sun Belt .... who knows?

Eric

Postby Eric » Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:23 pm

Definitely not the Sun Belt! When your conference champion has 1 OOC win, and that was the Middle Tennessee fluke over Vanderbilt-against 1A competition-that's HORRIBLE!!

Yeah, I'm going to have to wait from some previews to come out as well, this is just something to get people going. I'm pretty sure the Falcon's toughest opponent in 06 will be the Wisconsin Badgers. This time, Bowling Green gets them in their territory. Watch out!

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:24 pm

I went with Fresno St., but Bowling Green would have been my second choice. BG has had some great teams.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:06 am

I went with TCU...
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Jason G
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Jason G » Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:37 pm

Bowling Green QB Omar Jacobs declared himself eligible for the draft today.

I think if a team is a BCS Buster next year it will most likely be a Mountain West team or possibly Fresno State.
I'll be pulling for MAC schools but with Jacobs, Gradkowski, and Garrett Wolfe all gone what MAC school can get there?

Obviously I want to say Akron since 64% of this year's championship roster was sophomores and freshman but with non-conference games at Penn State, at NC State, at Cincinnati, and a rumored home game with Boston College I don't see my Zips having a good enough overall record to be a buster next year but then again if they can pull of a couple HUGE upsets the schedule strength should be there.

Eric

Postby Eric » Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:06 pm

Well, thanks for the info! I was assuming he was going to stay because of his injury. I guess he might've wanted to prove a point by coming back next year and going beserk? Guess not.

He is a very good quarterback, but I think he should've stayed.

Of course, I have to go with Utah. They have so much coming back, and that win, no no, bloody massacre of Georgia Tech, they should have plenty of momentum coming into next season. My only question is, will the starter be Brian Johnson, or Ratliff? First I said Ratliff didn't throw the ball well against BYU which was totally inaccurate. He threw 400+ twice in his last 2 starts. Regardless, I don't think they will get into the BCS, but I'd have to say they have the best chance to.

Toledo-no way
Northern Illinois-no way
TCU-possibly
UTEP-no way
UCF-no way
Tulsa-more possible than you might think
Fresno State-without Pinegar, no way
Boise State-possible, doubt it though
Utah-possible

I'd have to say teams with the best chances of getting into the BCS (based on talent, I really haven't taken a look at everyone's schedule) would have to be Utah, TCU, and Boise State.

colorado_loves_football

Postby colorado_loves_football » Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:11 pm

Again with respect to potential BCS 'busters' I think all anyone needs to do is compare how these teams did over the course of year.
UCF was good, but couldn't win C-USA, although admittedly a lot better than expected, but probably not BCS 'worthy' at least not yet.
Boise St, didn't beat Boston College, but played fairly well, in Hawkins' fairwell game. So, probably not them, either.
The MAC is surprisingly competitive, it's possible one of them may 'break' through, but probably not Bowling Green, Toledo seems most likely to be a BCS 'buster', they have more weapons.
I personally feel one team ought to be granted BCS 'admittance' every year, provided they meet established criteria, which is why I kept referring to TCU, they were best in terms of overall W/L.

irish88

Postby irish88 » Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:24 pm

i will say UCF .. o'leary is an outstanding coach . . unfortunately for UCF, o'leary won't be around there long . . the big time schools will forget all about his little resume problem the irish discovered . . the guy can flat out coach .

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:34 pm

Hey irish88,

Exactly what did happen with O'Leary and Notre Dame. I never quite got the whole story on that. :?

Return to “General Discussion”