six game-changing bad calls in one game - all against 1 team

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Larry

six game-changing bad calls in one game - all against 1 team

Postby Larry » Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:33 pm

I have NEVER NEVER seen a game officated so unfairly in all my 40 years of watching college football. I don't have to tell you which game I'm talkin' about, cuz all the networks have mentioned it.
Examples:
1) 3rd and long yardage: Iowa caught a pass near midfield for a 1st down. ESPN replays clearly showed the Hawkeye receiver was at least one yard "inbounds". officials called it out of bounds.
2) "Facemask" call aginst IOWA....ESPN replays clearly showed it was actually Florida! Not only the wrong player, but the wrong team!!! This is the 1st time I have ever seen this mistake by officials.
3) Pass interferrence by the "umpire" on the 5 yard line --a sure touchdown reception by Iowa was foiled because the unpire clearly ran in front of the receiver. ESPN commentators called it "inexcusable".
4) "helmet to helmet" hit....ESPN replays clearly showed that his "arm" hit his helmet.
5)" Running into the punter" - ESPN replays clearly showed this to be a bad call.
6) Offsides on the final Hawkeye kickoff. ESPN replays clearly showed that no Hawkeye was offsides.

This Outback football game is clearly by far and away the most bad-called game most people have ever seen. It was also clear that the above mentioned bad calls made ESPN "very angry".

Many networks, newspapers, radio stations, etc throughout the Country have posted their "shock" regarding this event as well.

This was also the first time I have ever seen a a television news commentator's "on aire microphone" be temporarily turned off (because he got so angry at the officiating).

Hawkeye fans will NEVER forget the 2006 Outback Bowl. I don't blame anyone but the officiating crew. Sure - the Hawks should have won, but that's okay, as I am even more proud of IOWA than ever before. Hats off to IOWA...they are truly a "standup outfit".

By the way, the Outback Bowl was the fastest sellout in their history (this is one reason IOWA was picked for a January bowl).

My concern now is: Who could blame Kirk Ferentz if he took an NFL head coaching job??? Lord knows he's had many of these offers in recent years, and now there are many NFL head coaching openings. If I were coach Ferentz, I'd be wondering why I should have to put up with this kind of officiating.

Rumors abound, and they all come to the same conclusion......THE REFS WERE PAID OFF. Taking it one step farther = why?.......the most common "guess" is: a "certain NFL team" wants Ferentz.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:02 pm

This was also the first time I have ever seen a a television news commentator's "on aire microphone" be temporarily turned off (because he got so angry at the officiating).

That was Chris Spielman. Former Ohio State and Detroit Lions pro bowl LB. Spielman said that was the worst crew he had ever seen. Spielman is a no excuse type of guy, so if he thought Iowa got hosed they did. I have never heard him say anything like that. Usually he says you have to suck it up and get better so it isn't close enough for the ref.s to make a difference.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Larry

Postby Larry » Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:58 pm

Thanks Spence -- when they "muted his mike", I knew he was mad -never seen him so mad before. So was I. IOWA won that game. I now have more repect for both the Hawkeyes AND ESPN than ever befoire. Previous posts on this site eluded to games with bad calls, but the Outback Bowl "took the cake", and I'm sure money was involved. I congradulate the following:

OHIO STATE
Wisconson
The Hawkeyes (cuz they won their game)

not our dame still sucks (can I say "sucks" on this site?)

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:25 pm

Larry, there's nothing I can say .... you've got a legitimate beef.

The referees blew some calls and it really hurt Iowa's chances to win, and that's a shame.

Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Yeofoot » Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:52 am

After I watched that onside kick, I had a nightmare that night that Texas would win or lose because of a bad call.

Postby Guest » Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:06 am

Lots of bad calls, please lets have crews from BCS leagues do BCS league bowl games. Like they said, that crew couldn't keep up with the speed of that game.

Larry

Postby Larry » Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:58 pm

Today Conference USA officials admitted several bad calls during the Outback Bowl. The NCAA will begin their investigation soon. It's a darn shame what those refs did in that game. They are a disgrace to sports in general.

bmcd

Postby bmcd » Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:25 pm

It's great that this is still going! Thank God the officiating was much better in the Rose Bowl.

Larry

Postby Larry » Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:07 pm

The Rose Bowl was a class act -- both by the officials as well as the "elevated play" by both teams. What a game! WOW!

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:12 pm

The Rose was called pretty good. The only really bad call was the one where V Young's knee was down when he pitched the ball. The officials let them play. That is always a good thing in my book.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Return to “General Discussion”