West Virginia

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Jason G
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Jason G » Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:12 pm

While I agree teams winning in your conference helps I have to believe this is more the case in non-BCS conferences that are trying to become more of a player on the national realm than it is in conferences that everyone sees as "premier" already anyway.

As an Akron fan and alum I generally root for MAC schools to always win. I am also an Ohio State fan but it would take some strange circumstances for me ever to root for the likes of Michigan or Penn State. For the "power" conferences there is quite a bit more flexibility to pick and choose who you root for.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:01 pm

I must admit that I thought if WVA were to win the game it would be because of the defense. While they had a hand in it with the fumbles and such, the real props in the game go to Slaton and White. Very fast, they stunned Georgia. Richt didn't have Georgia ready to play as was obvious because of the difference between the 1st. and 2nd. half. West Virginia came to play from the opening bell.

The Mountaineer coach is a keeper. They should sign him to a long term deal and make sure he stays. The fake punt at the end took guts, you have to love a coach like that.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:54 pm

What I liked most about that play was the execution.

The punter had the guts to call it and the will to execute it. Did you see him go down after he crossed the first down marker. He knew where first down line to make was, he got across it and when down in a ball so as to not take the chance of fumbling the ball.

That's coaching ... he was told before the play that if it was there to call it and run the play. The coaching staff had their heads in the game and thought Georgia would probably call for a return, instead of a cover or rush or block on the play.

In my judgement, it won't be a matter of money that keeps Coach Rodriguez and his staff at West Virginia, that's already in place. It will be a matter of whether or not the university is willing to do the things that will elevate the Mountaineers to the elite level in college football. A level where the football program will be a top ten or fifteen program every year. I believe that is what he wants and he would like very much to take the Mountaineers to that level.

If the university is satisfied with having a good team most of the time and a very good team once in a while, then I don't believe that is what Coach Rodriguez would want. He knows there is work to be done in order to have an elite program.

We'll see what the decision makers decide.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:00 am

In my judgement, it won't be a matter of money that keeps Coach Rodriguez and his staff at West Virginia, that's already in place. It will be a matter of whether or not the university is willing to do the things that will elevate the Mountaineers to the elite level in college football. A level where the football program will be a top ten or fifteen program every year. I believe that is what he wants and he would like very much to take the Mountaineers to that level.

He has the perfect opportunity to do just that right now. WVU stock is pretty high right now.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

colorado_loves_football

Postby colorado_loves_football » Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:13 pm

I believe the last poll (AP) had them fifth, another one, I believe had them 7th (USA Today?). TCU finished 9th in one, 11th in another, all-in-all not too bad, I guess, but I had hoped they might finish higher.

Return to “General Discussion”