Michigan football

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
bama_girl
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby bama_girl » Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:31 pm

i bet florida would let you borrow theirs!

bama_girl
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby bama_girl » Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:32 pm

or maybe tennessee
or miami
or maybe even auburn today :lol:

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:06 pm

we sure miss john cooper here in ann arbor. we need a new coach

You can have Cooper if you want. :lol:

I don't think Carr is the problem. Herman is responsible for recruiting defense and he is recruiting guys like he did 10 years ago. The Michigan defense is slow.

The Offense shows alot of promise. Mario Manningham will turn into the best receiver in the country. There isn't anything wrong with the Michigan offense as far as I can see. At least nothing that being healthy won't fix.

I think that when coach Carr has time to reflect on the team this offseason he will make the decision to update his defense. Michigan will be fine, they have rolled with the punches for over 100 years.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:20 pm

hey spence,i meant i want cooper back on the sideline in columbus...you're correct about the def being slow and they play the bend don't break style instead of being aggresive.we've got the best winning % all time (about 75%),longest consecutive bowl appearences, only2 seasons in 38 yrs with more than 4 losses etc. but the average mich fan is tired of being out of the national title race in sept evey year,carr has lost 3 or more in 9 of 11 yrs. that's not good enough for a program like mich.,by the way it's nice to finally meet a rational buckeye fan.loved watching the bucks pound the irish.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:33 pm

I know what you meant about Cooper, but I shutter the thought.

Nice to have you aboard. Welcome.

Being a Buckeye fan pretty much puts Michigan on top of my most wanted list, but as most Buckeye fan do, I respect Michigan football. I have always said without Michigan there would be no Ohio State and without Ohio State there would be no Michigan. We keep each other on our toes. Alot of people don't know the pressure coaches play under at these two schools. Cooper had a great record at Ohio State, he beat Notre Dame twice(when ND was good), but he didn't beat Michigan so he got fired.

Postby Guest » Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:42 am

spence, what is the greatest buck win over mich? by far the greatest UM win over the bucks was the 1969 24-12 upset over the 'unbeatable' rex kern,jim otis etc team. the year before woody 'dr.strangehayes' decided to go for 2 late in the game with the bucks leading 48-14,they made it to make it 50-14.that mich team finished 8-3,we've won 8 or more every year since except for this yr and one yr we went 6-6.

Eric

Postby Eric » Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:47 pm

Spence and other college football fans out there, MICHIGAN DOESN'T HAVE A BAD DEFENSE!!!

I'd have to say that they aren't the quickest, but they are still good. I think speed on the defensive side of the ball doesn't compare to the offensive problems. Carr's club should be lighting up the scoreboard with 50 points a game with the talent they bring in every season. They do need a change in offensive philosophy. And Spence, the reason why Carr keeps on losing to Ohio State is his conservative playcalling!!! Newsflash Lloyd, you probably aren't going to run the clock off with 8:30 left in the 4th quarter!!!!!! This "give it up to the defense" stuff is a load of crap. Why would you take your chances, try to score, man, it isn't that hard to understand.

Thanks firelloyd, it does me good to see a fellow Wolverine revolt against the idea of a "Michigan Man."
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Postby Guest » Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:30 pm

Eric, statistically the def was ok but how can you ignore the fact that they gave up scores in the last few posessions in :last yrs rose bowl,wis,minnesota (when minn. was trying to run out the clock),penn st,iowa,ohio st.,and nebr. talk about choking down the stretch...I do agree with you though about your concerns about the offense,especially in the red zone,we can move the ball between the 20's but then try to ram it down the opponates throat and end up kicking a field goal.We also seem to never have an elusive,break-a-way running back,all mich backs become battering rams,good backs but never a threat to go all the way,notice how many long td plays ohio st. had vs nd in the fiesta and the trouble they had in the red zone ie 2 blocked fg's and 2 turn overs. by the way I'm a proud EMU grad.

Eric

Postby Eric » Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:36 pm

Did you know that dating back to last season, Michigan is 7-7? Is that disturbing as a Big Blue fan?

What is really ticking me off is that ESPN has labeled this as the downfall of the Michigan program. Hey, last time I checked, Tennessee isn't getting treated like this, they didn't even make a bowl game!!! Michigan isn't going to hit the tank, Carr is going to coach here for 2 more seasons, then he will leave. He'll be here for the final 2 seasons of Chad Henne's career and Mike Hart's. It'll be interesting to see who the next hire is. If you follow any other Michigan sports, there certainly has been a lot of transitions:

Lions-?
Red Wings-Mike Babcock
Tigers-Jim Leyland
Pistons-Flip Saunders

Now considering that John L. Smith might get the boot soon, the coaches of Michigan sports are certainly going to be different!

Eric

Postby Eric » Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:38 pm

Oh come on! The coach of the Red Wings got edited! He has a word at the end of his name, kind of like a rooster?

Postby Guest » Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:51 pm

eric, over the last 38 yrs. mich football is the ONLY team to avoid a losing season or a stretch of being unranked,missing bowl games etc. our last 'slump' was the 4 consecutive 4 lose seasons from 93-96,we all remember what happened in 97.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:17 pm

My favorite win by Ohio State over Michigan was in 2002. It inabled us to go to the championship game and gave Tressel credibility. The '69 win by Michigan over Ohio State was my worst childhood memory :evil:

Postby Guest » Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:48 pm

the 02 buck win ended with a navarre int in the red zone (a BIG problem for our off still),the difference between the good teams and elite teams in modern day football is that the elite teams ALL have the 'home run' threat type players on off ,the bucks scored their td's vs nd on long plays but bogged down in the red zone,mich missed edwards this yr much more than people realize,my WORST mich-Oh St. memory was the missed fg in the 10-10 tie when you guys were #1 and we were #2,I think that was 73.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:56 pm

The '02 game had the hardest hitting between both teams that I have ever seen.

You are right the '73 10-10 game was bad for both of us. Worse for Woody and Bo.

Postby Guest » Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:59 pm

hey spence,have you ever heard of the old mich play by play radio broadcaster named bob ufer? he was something else,he read a poem on the air after the 69 upset,he called woody 'dr.strangehayes',went beserk when your players tore down teh UM banner etc.,there are tapes of his broadcasts that you might enjoy,he was the ultimate homer,it should be noted that many of mich best players have come from ohio.my favorite woody quote was when he was asked why he went for 2 late in the 68 mich game with the score 48-14 ,his answer was classic,'because they wouldn't let me go for 3.

Return to “General Discussion”