Phil Steele's Preseaon Power Poll 2006..Top 25

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re:

Postby Cane from the Bend » Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:18 pm

He's also calling for the trojans to have another undefeated season. (or at least 3 of his "power" ratings call for it)

I personally feel as though usc is too ineperienced to finish with no losses.

So many key players to replace.

And they don't have Reggie Bush to gain 500 all purpose yards to avoid losing to a WAC team.

SC played from behind in plenty of games to come back and win last year.

I don't think they've got a tested enough group to accomplish that.

Carroll let his star athletes play all four quarters in every game last season. They may have rotated some of the underclassmen in, occasssionally. But they didn't do it consistantly enough.

Bush and Leinart especially saw great benefits of staying in all game (padded stats).

And, even though it gets the sports writers talking, helping boost your players to awards at the end of the year (which also helps recruiting). In the long run, you're hurting your team more than helping them.

If your team lacks that excess playing time, those guys you beat up on in past seasons are going to have fun taking you apart in your next schedule line up.

After doing my own personal analysis of the trojans schedule, I see 5 potential losses, and 3 other ???'s.

They won't be as dominant this year.

And if they manage to slip through unbeaten, I'll be one surprised storm watcher.

They do have a couple of nice qb prospects. Which is really nice to have. If you can manage a relatively solid passing game, you can win some games on that side of the country.

However, their quarterbacks are still inexperienced. And, good prospects don't always play as stars.

Miami found that out.

We still are suffering from the graduation of Ken Dorsey.

And look at the qb line up we had after he left.

Berlin didn't pan out as we'd hoped.
Wright wasn't as good in his opening year as we thought.
And Freeman isn't good enough to take the job from Wright.

Those were some heavily recruited prospects.

So, right now, usc is what I would call a paper team.

Statistically, they look good.

But, we won't know how good they are, until we see `em play.[/code]
Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

colorado_loves_football

Postby colorado_loves_football » Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:24 pm

billybud wrote:Again...he is not issuing a Top 25...just a "most powerful" 25.

I think he is saying that a Penn State (#22), WVU (#24), Texas Tech, Nebraska, Georgia. etc...are stonger.

How many of the following would you give points to if they were playing TCU?

1..Oklahoma
2..Texas
3..USC
4..Ohio State
5..Notre Dame
6..Auburn
7..Michigan
8..California
9..FSU
10..Florida
11..Miami
12..Arkansas
13..LSU
14..Louisville
15..Tennessee
16..Virginia Tech
17..Iowa
18..Clemson
19..Oregon
20..Georgia
21..Nebraska
22..Penn State
23..Texas Tech
24..West Virginia
Isn't it ironic that the list is topped by a team TCU beat (in Oklahoma, no less), to begin the year?
For the record, Oklahoma needed 7 points to stay 'competitive' against TCU, too bad they didn't have them :wink:

Eric

Postby Eric » Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:29 pm

He forgot the International Bowl. I made some bowl predictions a little while ago on my other computer, I'll post them in a little bit.

If Navy is bowl eligible, they will take the Big East slot in the Meineke Car Care Bowl. They just recently made a deal with the bowl game. My prediction for that bowl game is North Carolina vs. Navy.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:29 pm

That was then and this is now....
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Eric

Postby Eric » Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:30 pm

International Bowl
Rutgers vs Kent St

Oh, scratch that, I see it. I'm getting the sense that he doesn't know what he's talking about when it comes to mid-majors. Kent State? They won one game against SE Missouri State last year.

colorado_loves_football

Postby colorado_loves_football » Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:39 pm

rolltide wrote:Okay Billybud, now I can agree more with his pole. There are few if any I would give points to against TCU. I guess I didn't think about what the pole really was. I do think UGA might need to be higher than Ark. Also I think WVU could move up some.
Oh, so this is a poll, about which teams likely wouldn't need points to beat TCU?
If nothing else, it explains why TCU isn't listed, they can't beat themselves.

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re:

Postby Cane from the Bend » Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:44 pm

Are you seriously talking about the opening game, from last year?

I told you then, that Oklahoma was inexperienced. that is why they lost to a TCU team who were virtually all returning players.

This is what TCU is coming into the with for 2006.

Seniors at
QB
RB
TE
3 WR's
ROTkl
LOTkl
SSfty
WSfty
FSfty
2 CBck's
P

Juniors at
WR
RGrd
K
RDfnsE
LDfnsE

Sophomores at
C
LGrd
DfnsT
DfnsNT
SLBckr
MLBckr

Again, TCU has an experienced crew, and should have a solid season.

However, that Texas Tech game looks like a roadblock fot the `frogs. And BYU is returning a fairly experienced squad themselves. The same BYU team that took TCU to a 51-50 OverTime game last year.

Irony... I don't think so
Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Jason G
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Jason G » Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:12 pm

I agree totally with you Eric. Where the heck did Kent State come from? Not to be a homer but do you think they actually meant the Flashes' arch rival instead? I notice that my guys weren't mentioned in the bowl matchups.

If that is indeed the case I'll chalk it up to another case of lack of respect for my alma mater's program.

Eric

Postby Eric » Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:24 pm

Yeah, and they don't look too much better this year, Jason G....... :?

Kent State is probably the least likely MAC team to make a bowl game. I think if there is a shortage, and this team plays a little over their heads, Ball State could make a push. Brady Hoke has to get something going there and their QB looks alright. The offense looks pretty decent. I don't think they'll make a bowl game because the MAC is very deep this year, but I guarantee they'll upset a top dog.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:58 pm

Kent State returns 18 starters, is recovered from injuries, has changed its offense some, illiminating the shotgun spread.

Steele has them tieing Ohio for their division...calls them one of the most improved teams (Doh...they lost 10)...win three and they triple their production.

But Steele names N. Illinois as the probable. champ
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:32 am

The list is bull.... :lol:

Although i will agree that GA will get another trip to the Outback bowl. That would be the 2nd trip in 3 years.

And neither of those teams will be in the BCS Championship. IMO
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:00 pm

Ditto

colorado_loves_football

Re:

Postby colorado_loves_football » Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:06 pm

Cane from the Bend wrote:Are you seriously talking about the opening game, from last year?
It's in reference to the poll that lists Oklahoma #1, overall.

Cane from the Bend wrote:I told you then, that Oklahoma was inexperienced. that is why they lost to a TCU team who were virtually all returning players.
I think we can all agree that excuses don't matter, wins do.

Cane from the Bend wrote:Again, TCU has an experienced crew, and should have a solid season.
Let's hope so. They are inexperienced on the offensive line, a critical part of any offense.

Cane from the Bend wrote:However, that Texas Tech game looks like a roadblock fot the `frogs. And BYU is returning a fairly experienced squad themselves. The same BYU team that took TCU to a 51-50 OverTime game last year.
Well, I guess it depends on which team you think is better, as to what the outcome will be. I'm going to take TCU at home, against what I consider to be an 'over-rated' Texas Tech team. As far as BYU is concerned, I think TCU will have an 'edge' playing in Ft. Worth. The games that concern me most, are Utah (in SLC) and Colorado State (in Ft. Collins). BYU's vaunted passing offense could pose a threat, however. Hopefully their defense will trump their high-powered offense.
Cane from the Bend wrote:Irony... I don't think so
Well, if the point being made is that 24 teams are likely 'better' than TCU, and the #1 team is one TCU beat, yes, it's ironic. Pathetic, is a better word.

Eric

Postby Eric » Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:14 pm

Dude, get real. Oklahoma in 2005 was inexperienced. Any reason that is made for a loss is looked upon you as an excuse. You're right, a win is a win, but I don't exactly see you as treating the loss to SMU as a loss for TCU. I believe I recall it was a "fluke".

Oklahoma is better in 2006, they closed out the season much better than they started it. Oklahoma could very well be the best team in the nation this year. And just because TCU beat them last year, doesn't mean they are better this year, or even better last year, for that matter.

Eric

Postby Eric » Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:18 pm

And what is so flukey about Texas Tech? They were looked upon as a fluke last year because they "didn't play any defense," which is a load of mularkey. They have a solid defense, one that might be better this year. The defense will be enough this year to hold TCU at bay.

Return to “General Discussion”