Iowa gets screwed again by bad officiating

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 02, 2006 3:53 pm

your right! but what a gutsy call by urban on the fake punt.not the kind of call you'd see from any big 10 coach..I'm a Mich. fan who says GO BUCKS beat ND

bmcd

Postby bmcd » Mon Jan 02, 2006 4:44 pm

Very gutsy call, but I can't stand that hot shot......I wish he would have had to face SC (anyone other than Pitt) last year if Utah really thought they could compete with the best....people give him so much credit for what he did at utah, BIG DEAL.....he couldn't hold a candle to SEC defenses this season....Oh dear lord excuse me, I guess they put up 49 against Vandy......

Bottom Line, CUSA officials shouldn't have been used in this game, as with the Alamo bowl...Even the ESPN announcers said that the officiating was terrible!

One thing I can't understand is the running into the kicker call....the Florida punter ran into the IA guy as he was trying to avoid contact, and moreover, when Florida blocked the punt in the first half, they flipped the IA punter right onto his face. Now even if that's considered a clean block, I guarantee that the punter was in a lot more danger during that block that when the IA player lightly tapped into the Florida punter later that half....

Then the personal foul calls, or lack thereof.....IA's WR Davis gets knocked on his butt by a FL defensive back WHEN THE BALL WAS ALREADY ON THE GROUND!! But yet there's somehow a late hit on IA when they tackle Leak who still up off the ground (not to mention what a wuss he is, clearly seen be how many times he "slid" to avoid contact....

Then Hinkel was called out of bounds when he was clearly pushed out in mid air?

Now for the onside kick....Iowa was NOT offside on the kick and even the announcers said that it was a horrible call.....IA recovered that kick CLEANLY as opposed to FU's consistently dirty play all game......

And all ferentz had to say, "At least the officiating was consistent the whole game"

I just hope that the Rose Bowl has competent, 20/20 vision officials from a BCS conference that can actually keep up with the speed of the game b/c this is absolutely rediculous.

bmcd

Postby bmcd » Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:12 am

You have to love how they replay the down in the Fiesta bowl when the aerial camera gets in the way but they can't replay the down when a ref is in the way---which of course happened to Iowa when they were driving in the redzone, and had to settle for a missed field goal...don't say that one didn't change things. The saddest part was that it was the ref in the center of the field who is supposed to stay up near the line but for some odd reason BACK-PEDDLED right into a short crossing route! Direct collision resulted in incomplete pass.....

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:17 am

The difference was that the Fiesta had official from the SEC who are used to seeing bang, bang plays. C-USA officials are out of their element when tring to officiate a game like that.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Postby Guest » Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:37 am

Spence wrote:The difference was that the Fiesta had official from the SEC who are used to seeing bang, bang plays. C-USA officials are out of their element when tring to officiate a game like that.

Spence
I think the refs. were from the Big 12
The one wit the white cap was the one that the Nebr coach got a reprimand
for the jester made to him at the game with Okla.

Howdy
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby Howdy » Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:43 am

Sorry I forgot to log in

Jason G
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Jason G » Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:55 pm

I agree that the two officiating crews in question had some serious issues and made some bad calls. I don't believe you can blame it on the conferences they officiate in.
Friends of mine who go to many Middle Tennessee games have told me in the past how bad the crew was that was working the Alamo Bowl. The Sun Belt fans themselves aren't crazy about that crew! I believe it was simply the case that it was a bad officiating crew and a better one from that conference should have been used.
I don't buy into the fact that officials from certain conferences can't keep up with the speed of the game. All of the officials in 1-A were officiating the same level of talent when they were doing high school games before moving to the collegiate ranks!
Also, with the possible exception of the Sun Belt, the speed of the game is not that different between conferences like the MAC and Mountain West than it is in the Big Ten and Pac-10. The differences are slight at best.
I am not saying the talent level and depth of teams are the same but speed of the game is pretty equal across the board.

Well, that's my opinion at least.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:10 pm

Spence
I think the refs. were from the Big 12
The one wit the white cap was the one that the Nebr coach got a reprimand
for the jester made to him at the game with Okla.

My bad. I thought I heard Gary Danielson say they were SEC officials.

My point though is that officials from the "big 6" conferences tend to let the teams play football. During the Fiesta bowl last night they let Notre Dame get away with a lot of holding. I don't have a problem with that as long as they are consistant. Calling offsides during the on side kick was ticky tacky at best. If he was off-sides it was too close to call.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Larry

Postby Larry » Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:39 pm

NO kidding

Return to “General Discussion”