TCU - Iowa State

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Spence
Administrator
Administrator

TCU - Iowa State

Postby Spence » Sun Jan 01, 2006 12:34 pm

Nice win for TCU. It proves a teams mettle when the can pull out a clutch score at the end. Very nice seaason for the Horned Frogs.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Larry

Postby Larry » Sun Jan 01, 2006 3:18 pm

It was a fairly sloppy game. Oddly enough, the game's vost valuable players (2 picked) were both cyCLOWNS. I considered this game a "mid-level bowl game". Example: the South Florida game last night was a "low-level bowl game".

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Jan 01, 2006 3:49 pm

TCU didn't play very well in the second half, but they did what they needed to do to win. That does say something about a team.

Eric

Postby Eric » Sun Jan 01, 2006 4:32 pm

Yeah, TCU is still a mid-major in my opinion. They are a very good team, but would've done a little better than Iowa State had they been in the Big 12. I just don't think they were capable of winning a BCS game. But, we'd have to see them play a bigger team. They had control over their BCS berth, all they had to do was NOT lose to SMU, and they're more than likely in because they'd recieve the same respect as Utah did last year.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Sun Jan 01, 2006 5:15 pm

I don't believe so, Eric. Not this year anyway.

The six BCS Conference Champions are in by BCS rule as well as Notre Dame and Ohio State.

Eric

Postby Eric » Sun Jan 01, 2006 5:19 pm

Good point.

However, had they gone undefeated, would they be in the top 6 and kick Notre Dame out?

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Sun Jan 01, 2006 5:35 pm

Don't know about that, but I can check it out.

Other rules apply to Notre Dame if a non-bcs conference member makes the BCS Bowls ... I do remember that ... maybe Ohio State would have been given the boot ... like I say ... I'll check it out.

Larry

Postby Larry » Sun Jan 01, 2006 5:55 pm

Anybody that thinks Not Our Dame rules... better think twice. Great coach, but......that's all

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Sun Jan 01, 2006 6:27 pm

You've got that right, Larry.

The Irish have a huge fan base and following throughout the country. :mrgreen:

Guess you and I are both full of anticipation about our teams teeing it up tomorrow. 8)

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Jan 01, 2006 6:59 pm

Good luck to both teams tomorrow as well as my Buckeye's :wink:

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Sun Jan 01, 2006 7:17 pm

There's a bunch of anxious members hanging out around here tonight.

Good luck to all.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Jan 01, 2006 7:58 pm

I hear you. It's the whole waiting thing. They should be playing right now. :evil:

Eric

Postby Eric » Sun Jan 01, 2006 8:08 pm

I'm not familiar with the BCS' qualifications of what has to happen if this and that happen. But it depends which rule they take more seriously, if you finish in the top 6 in the BCS if you are a mid-major or Notre Dame, or if you are a non-conference champion and in the top 4. And if the non-conference champ was selected, is it up to the selectors to decide Notre Dame and TCU, or is it the higher ranked of the two? Boy, this is confusing.

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Sun Jan 01, 2006 8:31 pm

Here's what I found within the Automatic Qualification Standards:

Automatic Qualification for At-Large Selection:

Paragraph 2: Any team from an independent institution Conference, USA, the Mid-American, Mountain West, Sun Belt, or Western Athletic Conference that is ranked three through six shall quality for automatic selection.

a. If one or more teams other than Notre Dame qualify for automatic selection under this provision, Notre Dame shall also qualify provided it is ranked in the top ten or has won at least nine games.

This is different from the Pool of Eligible Teams Section which says:

All Division 1-A college football teams are eligible for at-large selection provided they meet both of the following requirements:

1. Have won at least nine regular season games.
2. Are among the top 12 teams in the final BCS Standings.

After application of the previous provisions, if any at-large slots remain unfilled and the team ranked either three or four is form the Atlantic Coast, Big East, Big Ten, Big 12, Pacific-10 or Southeastern Conference but is not its representative, that team shall automatically fill one at-large slot and shall be selected to play in one of the BCS bowls.

The Pool of Eligible Section is about which teams can qualify for an at large selection by a BCS bowl while the Automatic Qualification for At-Large Selection would by-pass the selection option.

That's how Ohio State and Notre Dame earned and were awarded their bids.

Eric

Postby Eric » Mon Jan 02, 2006 1:37 am

I know that, I was just talking about a "what if" TCU beat SMU thing. Not that it has any relevance.

Return to “General Discussion”