Has anybody seen any "soldout" bowls yet???

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Larry

Has anybody seen any "soldout" bowls yet???

Postby Larry » Fri Dec 30, 2005 6:27 pm

I'm not sure that I have. Even the Nebraska/Michigan game had many empty seats!

Note: Iowa Hawkeye bowl tickets were "sold out" in the first 5 days!!!

Many say this is why Michigan drew a "december bowl".

Bowl invitations are often decided by "three variables" -- fan support, quality of program, and who traditionaly performs well in bowl games - not just win/loss records.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Dec 30, 2005 8:22 pm

It should be a peach of a game. :D
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Howdy
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Re: Has anybody seen any "soldout" bowls yet???

Postby Howdy » Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:41 pm

Larry wrote:I'm not sure that I have. Even the Nebraska/Michigan game had many empty seats!

Note: Iowa Hawkeye bowl tickets were "sold out" in the first 5 days!!!

Many say this is why Michigan drew a "december bowl".

Bowl invitations are often decided by "three variables" -- fan support, quality of program, and who traditionaly performs well in bowl games - not just win/loss records.

Nebr. sold out there alotment in 96 hrs.
Asked for more,but I do not know how many the recieved.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:20 pm

I thought the Miami - LSU game would be closer. LSU has delivered the goods, but Miami seems to have lost direction. The just don't look like the Miami that I am used to seeing.

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:11 am

Let me think about this .... let's see ...... Virginia Tech beat West Virginia ..... Miami beat Virginia Tech ..... LSU beat Miami ..... Georgia beat LSU.

Whoa Nellie !!!!

My Mountaineers better bring their "A+ Game" come Monday evening.

Gettin' closer to game time ..... tic ... tic ... tic

..fanatic
Coordinator
Coordinator

Postby ..fanatic » Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:16 am

The Holiday Bowl was a"record crowd" and looked pretty packed. I think that's the closest I've seen to a sold out bowl so far.
"Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it."

colorado_loves_football

Postby colorado_loves_football » Sat Dec 31, 2005 2:49 pm

I believe the Insight Bowl (Arizona St. vs. Rutgers) was a sell-out.
They said the Holiday Bowl set a record for attendance.
For the most part they've had good attendance in bowls.

colorado_loves_football

Postby colorado_loves_football » Sat Dec 31, 2005 3:21 pm

Food for thought: Imagine if you will that each one of the games we referred to (Holiday, Alamo, Insight) were also preliminary games in a 64-team playoff (presently 56 go to bowls).
I'm not suggesting this is the best solution, but in effect, every team that is now going bowling, would be allowed to participate in a playoff arrangement.
I'm actually opposed to it, for the following reason: I thnk it would work, but take away from regular season attendance. Secondly, I think it's too many games for any one team (up to 20, for national champion). And I think it would be too inclusive.
So that's why I think the BCS (4 bowls) ought to be a playoff. Eight teams, awarded by BCS criteria, playing for national title.
And keep all other bowls as presently arranged, but add 3 bowls (two semi-finals) and one national championship game.
It works, and it doesn't require any one team to play an excessive number of games (unless 3 is excessive).

Postby Guest » Sat Dec 31, 2005 11:01 pm

I'm sure the numbers are somewhat different than the other bowls mentioned on this thread but Akron also sold out their ticket allotment for the Motor City Bowl. The ticket office had to rquest more tickets from the bowl officials and then proceeded to sell those out as well. Everyone always said Akron wouldn't travel well because the university is largely a "commuter" school. The Akron fans really did the university proud. That being said there was still a lot of empty seats at Ford Field, just a lot fewer than anyone anticipated.

The 8-team playoff idea is certainly interesting but the single most important reason I am in favor of the bowl system right now is because I fear any playoff system would not be done fairly. As a MWC fan I am sure you can agree with me that if a playoff were ever put in place that ALL conference champions should be involved. This would likely mean that 16 teams would have to be in the field. At the very least a 12 team field with various teams getting byes would be appropriate.

Jason G
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Jason G » Sat Dec 31, 2005 11:05 pm

Sorry guys. That was me, Jason G, in the post shown as being by "guest". I guess I forgot to log in.

Happy New Year to everyone!

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Mon Jan 02, 2006 3:38 pm

from what I see on the screen....the Gator Bowl is like half empty.

The peach bowl had some empty seats too.....

But surprisingly the Cotton Bowl looks packed...Go Bama. :)
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

colorado_loves_football

Postby colorado_loves_football » Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:04 pm

Typically 'sell out's have vacant seats, the reason for that is many, for one thing, sometimes to guarantee a sell-out a corporation will buy the remaining allotment so that the bowl can post 'sell-out', so that's probably not so unusual.
Secondly, yes in an ideal arrangement, every conference champion would be represented in some fashion in a playoff, and actually it's possible for that to happen! (believe it or not).
Consider with the addition of the fifth bowl, that in effect allows for a total of ten 'automatic' bids to the BCS, assuming the BCS awarded ten 'automatic' bids (which they don't).
At present there are 11 conferences, with varying membership, but the most common denominator is 12, which happens to also be the minimum required to host a conference title game.
Now, if you do the math, with 119 teams at present under I-A designation, it would appear that 10 conferences are all that are necessary to 'contain' all 119 teams so 11 conferences is redundant, there only need to be 10 (minimal) for every team to be represented.
The WAC and MWC are both similar in that they occupy the same geographic area, and therefore a simple 'reunion' of those conferences would for all intents and purposes create the ten conferences, without dramatically altering the BCS itself.
Finally, every conference already in the BCS would have to add teams to stage a conference title game. The Big East would need to add 4 teams, Pac-Ten two, big Ten one. But because there aren't 4 teams available to the Big East, I predict they 'steal' Penn State away from the Big Ten, just like the ACC 'stole' teams from them (all's fair in love and war), leaving the Big Ten shy two teams. They, in turn rob the Big XII of Iowa St,and Missouri, leaving them short two teams.
They add (out of necessity) TCU and Arkansas, basically creating a SWC reunion, while also shorting the SEC a team, so they take S. Florida from the Big East. The Big East robs C-USA of Marshall, and E.Carolina, and C-USA adds Army (a former member) and Temple to keep their twelve team allotment.
Pac-Ten adds San Diego State, and San Jose State, so now only Sun Belt is under-represented. They add Lousiana Tech, and Western Kentucky (expansion from I-AA) to get to ten.
Now, with the exception of Sun Belt, nearly every conference has twelve teams (WAC-MWC) 14. This would allow 9/10 conference title games, which might give nearly every conference direct access, if adopted.
And i'ts a simple way to select teams, regardless.
The one at large bid, could either go to Notre Dame, or could be reserved for an 'at large' team such as the BCS is already.
Either way, 'direct' access could be expanded to include nearly (or every) conference thorough that kind of selection process.

Larry

Postby Larry » Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:38 pm

Outback Bowl sold out. In fact, it was their quickest sellout ever. Credit Hawkeye fans. To bad conference USA refs were there.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:10 pm

The Fiesta Bowl had the largest non championship crowd in the history of the bowl.

Return to “General Discussion”