USC@Arkansas

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:50 am

Yeah.I caught that...why I mentioned another standard...
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Eric

Postby Eric » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:51 am

Gotcha.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Dossenator

Thanks for the welcomes

Postby Dossenator » Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:54 am

I am glad to finally find a college football board where fans from many different schools can talk to one another like adults should. Thanks for the welcome everyone. Someone asked if I was a Razorback fan...the answer is yes. I attended the University of Arkansas for my bachelor's degree and my master's. I marched in the marching band for 5 years from 1994-1999. I was born in Bentonville, Arkansas just about 20 miles north of Fayetteville, Arkansas where the University of Arkansas is located. Northwest Arkansas is crazy about the Hogs. That is all anyone talks about during football season, basketball season, baseball season, whne the incredible track team wins yet another national championship, oh who am I kidding they talk about Razorback sports all of the time. Irish88, I hope you are not right about Malzahn messing things up for years coming from a high school position. I don't think that will happen. I know Malzhan personally. I was the band director at Shiloh Christian School during his last year of coaching there. I ate lunch with him and some of the other coaches everyday. What a great guy and football genius. I guess we will just have to wait and see how it works out...however, just about anything would be better then Nutt's play calling over the past couple of years (Run on 1st down, Run on 2nd down, if you don't get a first then try a desperation pass on 3rd down....the other variation is to run on 3rd down because it may fool the defense). By the way Irish88 the USC vs. Notre Dame game last year was one of the best I have seen in years....however, I was hoping for the Irish to win that one. Maybe this year. Billybud, I got the youngest team in America from ESPN. At the end of last season they were going through the youngest teams in America and listed the top 10, and then discussed which ones would have improved seasons next year. The 18 freshman I am referring to with Arkansas means that out of the 22 possible positions on the field that 18 of those positions had at least one freshman start. According to ESPN Arkansas was the only team that did that. I am sure FSU played 27 freshman....I guess they could have played several freshman at one position to reach that number. So, I guess both teams were young. Are you a FSU fan Billybud? Thanks again for the warm welcome. I am looking to find some knowledeable people to play yahoo fantasy football with. If anyone is interested then you can email me at jandsdoss@msn.com. In the subject line put fantasy football. I can set up a private league and then email anyone interested with the sign up information.

Eric

Postby Eric » Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:02 pm

Thanks for the compliments, this board usually gets that from the new members after the first couple posts. We like to keep things civil. And, trust me, there is an Ohio State fan, a Michigan fan, and a Notre Dame fan and we all get along just fine :D

I'm a Hog fan too, not a diehard one, but a fan nonetheless. My roots are from Paragould, Arkansas, it's in NE Arkansas by Jonesboro, I'm assuming you know. I haven't been there too often, but my grandparents were from there, and I learned from my dad to like the Razorbacks.

Eric

Postby Eric » Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:06 pm

We also have another Razorback fan on the board who is here every once in a while. He's a Hawkeye and a Razorback fan.

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:38 pm

Hey, Dossenator .... behaving like an adult while being a college football fan is somewhat of a contradiction in personal behavior and probably has all the behavioral psychologist scratching their heads. :lol: :D :lol:

Stick around, kick the tires and take us for a spin ... I think you'll like the ride. :wink:

A word of caution though, be sure to wear your seat belt and don't try to drink hot coffee while you're driving ..... sometimes the ride gets a little bumpy. :shock: :o :P :oops: :lol: :evil: :twisted: 8)

Enjoy.

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re:

Postby Cane from the Bend » Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:08 pm

[/quote]last time i heard about a high school coach entering the college ranks as hyped as this cooridinator - his name was gerry faust .

ahh...

The Faust era.

Possible the fondest six years of my life.javascript:emoticon(':D')javascript:emoticon(':lol:')javascript:emoticon('8)')

Seriously, though. (well, I guess that was kind of serious)

Usc may very well be in for an downfall vs Arkansas.

If the Hoggs come out swinging, take an early lead, the trojans could wind up shellshocked.javascript:emoticon(':o')

No Reggie Bush.javascript:emoticon(':shock:')
No Lendale White.javascript:emoticon(':shock:')
Inexperienced running backs. javascript:emoticon(':?')

Take away the passing game, and the trojans may be in for a rough day.

Who will win...javascript:emoticon(':?:')

Right now it looks like usc.

Who am I taking...javascript:emoticon(':?:')

Arkansas

They don't have as much to prove.

However, don't think that the heat will effect trojans too terribly much.
Recent Temps in Southern Cal have been hovering around the 100 degree Mark.

What will drain the boys from troy, is the exhausting humidity in Arkansas.

It is very dry in California. And heavy humidity can cause serious fatigue and muscle cramping/spraining in those who aren't adept to it.
Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Dossenator

Postby Dossenator » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:54 pm

No offense taken irish88. By no means do I think that the Hogs are national championship material....or do I think they can even win the SEC title this year. However, at home they always play above their ability. I have watched in person on many occassions when the hogs were underdogs by more than 20 points and win by that many. Something about being at home no matter who the opponent is helps to equalize the competition. Also, this will be USC's first time in years without Leinert, Bush, and White. They say SC's stength is in their Wideouts this year...all I am hearing about in Southern California is about how good Jarrett is. But you have to get them the ball to be effective. With the crowd noise and a a new QB and an unproven ground game...we do not know what kind of team USC is going to be this year. Yes we know they have talent but talent does not always prevail...sometimes a little experience is needed...especially in hostile conditions....crazy loud fans and high humidity and the first road game for a new QB. Sounds like the making for an upset.

Eric

Postby Eric » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:47 pm

You have it right, Dossenator. I always bring up 6 points about this game:

1. SEC Homefield advantage
2. Sweltering Arkansas September heat
3. USC is missing some key parts
4. Arkansas is a little more experienced this year
5. The "rust" factor to be used as an equalizer
6. VENGENCE

Everything is going for Arkansas besides talent. I think collectively, these should act as an equalizer.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:46 am

I liked the way Arkansas played LSU, Bama, and Georgia last year...they could have (should have) won all three games....the Razorbacks are much better than their record would indicate.

Arkansas will give USC a better game than most of the PAC 10 will....
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Eric

Postby Eric » Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:00 am

I'd agree with that. I think it will be kind of similar to the Virginia Tech/USC game 2 years ago. The casual fan will be shocked, but if they paid attention to the offseason and the analysis, it shouldn't be surpising at all if Arkansas takes USC down to the wire.

Dossenator

Postby Dossenator » Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:06 am

Rolltide thanks for the welcome. I think the Alabama game will be a hard faught game. That game is always intense. I rember going to my first Ark vs Bama game in Fayetteville...about 12 years ago. It was my first experience of meeting Bama fans. I distinctly remember many of them wearing tide boxes around there necks with a roll of toilet paper attached on top of the tide box. They game in drove chanting "Roll Tide". I have alos been to two Bama vs Ark games in Bama. Great atmosphere in Bama. They are definetely passionate about their team and will bring a lot of fans to Ark. If you look at the past six seasons Ark and Bama have split the victories...each winning three. 2000 at Ark - Ark W 28-21, 2001 at Bama - Bama W 31-10, 2002 at Ark - Bama W 30-12, 2003 at Bama - Ark W 34-31, 2004 at Ark - Ark W 27-10, and 2005 at Bama - Bama W 24-13. I always look forward to the Bama game. It usually determines who has a shot to challenge LSU and Auburn for the Western Title.

Billybud I agree with you completely.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:30 am

I went to the 1980 Sugar Bowl....Alabama vs Arkansas. I was wearing my hat as a baptised Bama boy (although FSU is my alma mater).

It was a great time...both fan bases were stalking the French Quarter wearing red, both with "A"s....an outsider probably couldn't tell them apart.

The band leaders made a fortune at the club I was at...Bama fans would pay a huge tip to have "Stars fell on Alabama" played over and over...Arkansas folks payed to have tunes played...the only one I remember was, I believe, called Arkansas or You Run Deep in Me..they called it both.

I've always enjoyed the Sugar Bowl (except for playing the Gators there)..Gator fans and Nole fans just do not mix well.

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:36 am

Good stuff guys .... its been my experience that these type games will come down to the 'Trojan's Swagger' versus the 'Razorback's Resilience '.

The 'swagger' teams will try to, and usually do, jump on you early, get you down and then try to keep you down ...... the Hogs will have to earn this one and their biggest obstacle will more than likely be themselves. :wink:

Dossenator

Postby Dossenator » Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:41 pm

I have made two trips to Atlanta with the Hogs since they joined the SEC. The first time in 1995 where they faced the Florida Gators and lost their star running back on the first series and ultimately the game 34-3. They shared the Western Division title in 1998 but the tie breaker went to Mississippi State to play in the SEC Championship Game. Then the Hogs played in the 2002 SEC Championship game against Georgia. Man the Hogs were shell shocked from the first play and they could not recover. So, Atlanta has not been good to the Hogs.

I did find some interesting info on the University of Arkansas sports page. These are all stats since Houston Nutt took over as the Razorbacks coach. Here it is: The Razorbakcs are the Only SEC Western Division Team with six bowl appearances since 1998 (better then Bama or Auburn), and the Razorbacks have the most Home Wins (38) of any SEC Team in the last seven years. So, playing at home for the Hogs is a good thing. Watch out USC........ It is crutial for the Hogs to get a good start in this game. Don't give up big plays. If the Hogs can pressure the QB and the crowd stays in the game then I believe they can win this one. My grandfather said that the USC game is all anyone is talking about in Arkansas. It is an obsession. He said the local news stations have a timer that runs at the bottom of the screen that is counting down to that game. I guess growing up in Arkansas is mush like other Southern SEC states. I was born a Razorback fan....I had no choice. It's like you are born and the doctor is calling the hogs....Woooooooooo Pig Sooooieeeeeee!

Return to “General Discussion”