USC@Arkansas

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Eric

Postby Eric » Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:27 pm

I've been saying this over and over again....

The Trojans are ripe for an upset.

1. SEC homefield advantage
2. Sweltering Arkansas September heat
3. USC is young and a tad inexperienced this year
4. Arkansas is experienced
5. Rust on both sides, considering it's the first game of the year
6. Of course, VENGENCE!

All things point towards Arkansas besides talent, so all these 6 reasons collectively might act as an equalizer. Don't get me wrong though, I'm taking USC, but this can be a heck of a lot closer than some people might think of because of the Trojan's recent success.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

bama_girl
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby bama_girl » Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:31 pm

i usd to hate arkansas almost as much as TN but i'm kinda pulling for them to come back this year. it'll be a really good game!

colorado_loves_football

Postby colorado_loves_football » Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:22 pm

I've already listed this as a potential 'upset'.
It isn't that I necessarily like Arkansas, all that much. I just think that USC will have a harder time winning games, on the road.
As far as a possible 'upset' is concerned, one need look no further than the season opener, when USC faces what could be a very good Nebraska Cornhusker team. I think that game has more possibility for an upset, myself, than the Arkansas game does.

Eric

Postby Eric » Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:34 pm

It makes for good discussion though! :lol:

colorado_loves_football

Postby colorado_loves_football » Sat Jun 03, 2006 3:10 pm

Eric wrote:It makes for good discussion though! :lol:
Yeah, I agree, problem is USC is probably a lot better than Arkansas.
So, I'm not going to wager anything on it. Colorado played USC in Boulder, 2002, and USC beat them, soundly. Colorado even captured a 'share' of the Big XII title that year (beat everyone but CSU & Oklahoma). They also lost to Wisconsin in the Alamo Bowl, thanks to Brooks Bollinger. (late TD 'iced' the game for the Badgers).
But, I would like to see Arkansas beat USC, at any rate.

Jason G
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Jason G » Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:54 pm

Knowing how Arkansas seems to play in a lot of crazy games I wouldn't be surprised to see this go into multiple overtimes.

Eric

Postby Eric » Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:59 pm

I'm in the same boat with you. For the reasons I mentioned above, it might act like an equalizer. I was in Arkansas last September, and it was sweltering.

Dossenator

I pick Arkansas to win!

Postby Dossenator » Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:16 pm

For those of you who do not follow Arkansas football closely I can certainly see why you would pick USC. Last year was the worst game I have ever seen Arkansas play. The youngest team in American last year (they started 18 freshman during the season) had to go on the road to USC for the their first road game....brutal. However, the young talent started showing the second half of the season. 3 games on the road showed how much they had improved: they took Alambama to the end, in Georgia they lost by only 3 and had a shot at the end, and in Baton Rouge against LSU lost by only two (Arkansas missed 2 field goals at the end that would have won that game). Casey Dick will be the starting QB even though Arkansas signed the #1 high school QB in the nation (Mitch Mustain...who will red shirt this year). Arkansas had the SEC freshman of the year last year in Darren McFadden (future Heisman Candidate...he garnered many other honors since), Felix Jones was second in the nation in return yards average (averaged 31.2 yards a return...he was also a freshman), Arkansas got an offensive coordinator so Houston Nutt will not be calling the plays....Gus Malzahn a football genius....he was a high school football coach in Arkansas (Shiloh Christian School and Springdale High School....won several state championships....coached Mitch Mustain in high school.....considered in the coaching ranks as of the best offensive minds in the game....he travels all over the country to teach other coaches his schemes.....he employs a no huddle offense). So, the Hogs are returning 19 of the 22 starters from last year, they will have the best running game in the SEC...again (4 out of the last 5 years), they will employ a no huddle offense with a new offensive coordinator, the passing game will be greatly improved with the new offense, and the defense is going to be strong (last years weekness was the secondary...exposed by USC....but the young guys got better as the season went along), so my prediction is Arkansas wins by 10. If you have never been to a Razorback game, especially for a big game, then you do not realize how much the crowd will be into the game. USC QB will not be able to hear himself on the line....much less the rest of the team. I know I am just rambling on......Sorry.

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:31 pm

I personally think the USC-Arkansas game will be good. No blowout for USC this year. And i agree with your assesment as to why it was so bad, experience is important for a young team against USC....IF the game was played later in the year, the score WOULD have been different.
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:59 pm

Welcome, Dossenator. :D

I take it your are a Razorback fan. 8)

openSkies
Administrator
Administrator

Postby openSkies » Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:41 am

Welcome aboard, Dossenator!

Eric

Postby Eric » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:25 am

Dossenator wrote:For those of you who do not follow Arkansas football closely I can certainly see why you would pick USC. Last year was the worst game I have ever seen Arkansas play. The youngest team in American last year (they started 18 freshman during the season) had to go on the road to USC for the their first road game....brutal. However, the young talent started showing the second half of the season. 3 games on the road showed how much they had improved: they took Alambama to the end, in Georgia they lost by only 3 and had a shot at the end, and in Baton Rouge against LSU lost by only two (Arkansas missed 2 field goals at the end that would have won that game). Casey Dick will be the starting QB even though Arkansas signed the #1 high school QB in the nation (Mitch Mustain...who will red shirt this year). Arkansas had the SEC freshman of the year last year in Darren McFadden (future Heisman Candidate...he garnered many other honors since), Felix Jones was second in the nation in return yards average (averaged 31.2 yards a return...he was also a freshman), Arkansas got an offensive coordinator so Houston Nutt will not be calling the plays....Gus Malzahn a football genius....he was a high school football coach in Arkansas (Shiloh Christian School and Springdale High School....won several state championships....coached Mitch Mustain in high school.....considered in the coaching ranks as of the best offensive minds in the game....he travels all over the country to teach other coaches his schemes.....he employs a no huddle offense). So, the Hogs are returning 19 of the 22 starters from last year, they will have the best running game in the SEC...again (4 out of the last 5 years), they will employ a no huddle offense with a new offensive coordinator, the passing game will be greatly improved with the new offense, and the defense is going to be strong (last years weekness was the secondary...exposed by USC....but the young guys got better as the season went along), so my prediction is Arkansas wins by 10. If you have never been to a Razorback game, especially for a big game, then you do not realize how much the crowd will be into the game. USC QB will not be able to hear himself on the line....much less the rest of the team. I know I am just rambling on......Sorry.

I see where you're coming from, and welcome aboard! I follow the Razorbacks too, and all of this stuff sounds like it should help them out a little bit. All preseason long I have wondered if Houston Nutt should start Casey Dick instead of Mustain. I watched Dick against South Carolina....and the offense was anemic. They scored 10 points I think. I remember a lot of people thought the hiring of Malzahn was just a stunt to get Mustain to go there. And, I agree with your assessment of McFadden. He will get a little hype this year, kind of like the amount of hype surrounding Lawrence Maroney because he isn't on a good enough team yet, but in 2007, if Adrian Peterson goes to the NFL, he should top a couple lists.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:42 am

The youngest team in American last year (they started 18 freshman during the season)

Actually, the youngest team in America, on one standard, was FSU who played 27 freshman.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:43 am

I have posted, in another thread (See Steele's power thread) that Akansas is better than last year's record...their games against Bama, Georgia, and LSU show power.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Eric

Postby Eric » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:44 am

I think he's talking about 18 freshman that started at some point in the season.

Return to “General Discussion”