Tostitos Fiesta Bowl

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Eric

Tostitos Fiesta Bowl

Postby Eric » Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:51 pm

Wow, I don't know what team to start with as the favorite! I'll do Ohio State, considering they are ranked higher.

Ohio State has been fantastic this season. If it weren't for Tressel putting Zwick in the game for a half against Texas, we could be looking at the Buckeyes being undefeated. Troy Smith is an unbelievable playmaker, along with Antonio Pittman who cranks out a good number of yardage on the ground, and guys like Santonio Holmes and Ted Ginn, J.R. to throw to. The Buckeyes have, arguably, the best defense in the country. With a linebacking core like that, they are second to none. They rank 4th in the country, but they do have a strong argument for #1.

BUT

Notre Dame can makes some plays through the air. Weis' offense is very explosive, they rank 10th in offense. Brady Quinn is a big time NFL prospect, and he has playmakers to throw to like Jeff Samardzija and Maurice Stovall. They aren't a terrible rushing team, but they can get a good chunk of yards on the ground. The Buckeyes are 68th against the pass, probably the Achilles' Heel of this football team. Here lies the problem: Notre Dame will be able to score on this defense, you can't like the matchup. But who is the more physical football team that can run the ball? Ohio State. I think the Buckeyes should win in a shootout.

My prediction, Ohio State 38-31.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Yeofoot » Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:54 pm

Those linebackers are hands down the best in the country. Vince couldn't run whatsoever against them. Look for Quinn to be knocked down, again and again.

Eric

Postby Eric » Sun Jan 01, 2006 5:13 pm

Huh, I thought I would get more responses on this bowl game!

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Sun Jan 01, 2006 5:31 pm

Sorry about that, Eric.

I've been all caught up with the Sugar Bowl.

This will be a dandy. Two storied programs gettin' after it.

Let me see if I can stir the pot for you a little bit. :P

Now that Ohio State has found their offense ... they very well may just be the best team in the country. :shock:

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Jan 01, 2006 6:46 pm

They rank 4th in the country, but they do have a strong argument for #1.

Ohio State doesn't have an argument for #1. They got beat by 2 of the 3 teams ahead of them.

The only way Notre Dame will run against Ohio State is to run right up the gut. Walker is big enough to do that so I believe that is the match up to watch. If Notre Dame can run then the play action could hurt Ohio State. Notre Dames big receiver can cause Ohio State problems in the secondary. How good Youboty plays tomorrow is key. Also Mike Kudla needs to be in Quinn's face all day. Pressure, pressure,pressure!

Ohio State needs Pittman to have a good day on offense. Ohio State needs long, clock eating drives to keep the defense fresh and to keep the ND offense off the field. The skill players need to hold on to the football and TS needs to make good decisions. If Ohio State plays turnover free football, they will win the game.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Eric

Postby Eric » Sun Jan 01, 2006 8:01 pm

Oh, I was talking about defense they have an argument to be the best in the country. Not overall.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Jan 01, 2006 8:03 pm

OK, I'll agree on that. For a minute I thought the Alamo Bowl had driven you over the edge. :wink:

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Sun Jan 01, 2006 9:01 pm

Tell your guys what.

Let's watch the games tomorrow, Tuesday and Wednesday and critique the teams from an offensive, defensive and special teams perspective.

Afterwards, we'll get into who we think has the best team. Not the most highly ranked team mind you, but the best overall team.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Jan 01, 2006 9:42 pm

That sounds good to me.

On a sad note; it looks like LB Bobby Carpenter will not get to play in the Fiesta Bowl. The docs say his leg is healing nicely, but he hasn't been cleared to play. They said he would be re-evaluated tomorrow. Since he has had no practice time with pads and with the combine coming up it is doubtful that he will play. It is really bad news for Ohio State. Not unexpected, but bad.

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Sun Jan 01, 2006 9:56 pm

I'll bet he is heartbroken, but hopefully he understands and accepts that it is the right thing to do.

Jason G
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Jason G » Sun Jan 01, 2006 10:55 pm

I believe Ohio State is a better team than Notre Dame. I think ND always tend to be overrated because of their name more than any other school. That being the case, I have been born, raised and currently live in Columbus, Ohio so maybe my judgement is a little clouded since I have always been submersed in OSU football coverage in the local media.

This game is dangerous though. This game could be Brady Quinn's game to shine. He grew up just outside Columbus, so close that I actually went and saw him play in high school a few times. His motivation in this game has to be at an all-time high. It seems like every time a story line like his comes up the individual leads a dramatic and valiant effort that frequently results in victory.

For my prediction I'll go with my heart and say:
Ohio State 37 Notre Dame 28

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Sun Jan 01, 2006 11:33 pm

This could very well turn out to be the best game we'll see. I cannot help but think it's going to be close and dramatic.

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Mon Jan 02, 2006 3:09 pm

Yeofoot wrote:Those linebackers are hands down the best in the country. Vince couldn't run whatsoever against them. Look for Quinn to be knocked down, again and again.

Notre dame is overrated. Ohio State by 10.
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Jan 02, 2006 3:32 pm

Derick, I hope your right, but judging from the bowl games so far the B-10 may be over-rated as well.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Jan 02, 2006 4:02 pm

I'm starting to get pumped. 2 hours and counting. GO BUCKS! :shock:

Return to “General Discussion”