Did Hawaii Teach "Em Anything?

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Did Hawaii Teach "Em Anything?

Postby billybud » Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:17 pm

I know it's really about money and not good football match ups, but...

Hawaii was exposed...the Warriors only played one BCS team this year (4 win Washington) and played only two teams with winning records. Fans would have been better served seeing a Georgia-Missouri game...

In fact, I think that Hawaii squandered some of the respect that Boise had gotten for the non BCS top teams.

I hope that the bowl execs/BCS rankings do a better job for the fans next year..
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

Eric

Re: Did Hawaii Teach "Em Anything?

Postby Eric » Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:33 pm

I agree, the non-BCS teams were done a disservice. Usually there's one or two non-BCS schools that can compete on a high level, but this year didn't provide very many. Hawaii deserved a chance at a team like Georgia, but they failed miserably.

SOS has to weigh more in the BCS. That's the bottom line.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Eric

Postby Eric » Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:03 pm

fluiddude wrote:What I saw was a Hawaii team that had to travel seven timezones to find themselves on a national platform surrounded by 100,000 mostly hostile observers. It was pretty obvious they were rattled from the beginning and never really got their game going. Plus they were playing a very good team, certainly one of the top two or three at the end of this season. If the game had been played in Hawaii, no doubt Georgia would still have won, but it would have been much closer. Hawaii isn't a bad team...they beat two pretty good teams in Fresno State and Boise State and even Washington is a better team then their record indicates. Hawaii's overall schedule wasn't much (if any) worse than Kansas. I also think Jone's trash talking in the weeks prior to the game created some extra incentive.

Speaking of June Jones, does anybody see him leaving for SMU? I think he'll take the job there. He's being offered between 1.5 to 1.7 million dollars.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:46 pm

Fluid...I don't think the Warriors had a chance in any time zone. Their only chance was if Georgia's defensive front had to play with both legs in a gunny sack. You can't throw the ball real effectively when the other team's D linemen are almost beating the ball to the quarterback. I'll hand it to Colt Brennan for toughness..he was hit, knocked down, but would wobble back up and try it again. The kid was sacked 8 times..knocked down a dozen and who cares to count the hurries.

Jones did try screens, draws, anything to offset the fact that Georgia was past the O line before they got out of their stance. Nothing worked because speed ate it up.

And Hawaii was held to minus yards rushing...so the Dawgs tee'd off on every snap. No play action would cause hesitation.
“If short hair and good manners won football games, Army and Navy would play for the national championship every year.”

RazorHawk
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby RazorHawk » Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:05 pm

Unfortunately, this was a mismatch from the start. When many bowl games will pit a 5th or 6th place team from a BCS conference against the champ or runner-up from a mid major making for a competitive game, seldom will putting the 1st or 2nd place team from a mid major conference against a like rated BCS make for a close game. The Boise St vs Okla Fiesta Bowl was definitely the exception to that.
Hawkeye and Razorback fan in Florida

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:55 pm

Fluiddude,

For the first time I have found your comments to truly match that new avatar. (Except for that filter and the smooth cylindrical appearance of that "cigarette".)
Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
R. Reagan

Swamp Daddy
Coordinator
Coordinator

Postby Swamp Daddy » Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:00 pm

I thought the Hawaii defense was capable in the game; but, the offense showed me they had had it too easy all year and when faced with a decent defense on the other side they couldn't do much.

Swamp Daddy :?
visit: http://thecrunchzone.com/ for news
site moved to: http://cardinalforums.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1 for discussions

generic university site is: http://www.gocards.com/

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:42 am

I do not think you can say Hawaii was any worse than other teams that got soundly beaten in a bowl game. They are what they are.....they looked bad. Georgia looked good........
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

RazorHawk
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby RazorHawk » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:00 am

donovan wrote:I do not think you can say Hawaii was any worse than other teams that got soundly beaten in a bowl game. They are what they are.....they looked bad. Georgia looked good........
Don't disagree, but the other teams beaten soundly had not been awarded a BCS bowl.

Quite possibly and probably Hawaii would have been beaten equally as soundly by Missouri, Tennessee, Michigan, and the list could go on. They needed overtime to beat a 5-7 La Tech team and overtime to beat another 5-7 San Jose St team.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:04 pm

I understand what you say and you may well be right. It is fundamental, in my outlook, that if you are going to have a system that allows 119 teams to compete...and a team goes undefeated, you are really obligated to put them in the mix...if not..then the system needs to be repaired...this subject has be rehashed plenty.....

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:20 pm

OH BS...So you go undefeated? But you play two teams with a winning record and the only BCS team you play had only four wins.

What does going undefeated really mean? Only that you played a bunch of bad to mediocre teams.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:42 pm

billybud wrote:OH BS...So you go undefeated? But you play two teams with a winning record and the only BCS team you play had only four wins.

What does going undefeated really mean? Only that you played a bunch of bad to mediocre teams.

It means it is hypocritical to invite someone to a contest and then not allow them to win...but hypocrisy has never stopped College Football or is fans.....that is what it means in my arrogant opinion....

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:49 pm

Well...they have handicaps in golf and horse racing. They could have been more "fair" to Hawaii.

Why not make a team like Georgia play Hawaii with only ten men? Or make the Georgia Defensive line wear ten pound weights on each ankle? Or have the Georgia offense only have three downs instead of four.

There were ways that the game might have been more competitive.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:27 pm

billybud wrote:Well...they have handicaps in golf and horse racing. They could have been more "fair" to Hawaii.

Why not make a team like Georgia play Hawaii with only ten men? Or make the Georgia Defensive line wear ten pound weights on each ankle? Or have the Georgia offense only have three downs instead of four.

There were ways that the game might have been more competitive.

I think the ankle bracelets are a good idea....many players may already be use to them.....

RazorHawk
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby RazorHawk » Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:01 pm

donovan wrote:I understand what you say and you may well be right. It is fundamental, in my outlook, that if you are going to have a system that allows 119 teams to compete...and a team goes undefeated, you are really obligated to put them in the mix...if not..then the system needs to be repaired...this subject has be rehashed plenty.....
What is this mix, you speak of. I don't think the NCAA has those thoughts that just because a team in Div I, they are in any mix. The only way that would have any relevancy, would be if there indeed was a playoff. I don't think the intent of the NCAA is having 119 team competing. That is the reason there are conferences, so that they may compete with similar type programs. If a team get too good for their respective conference and feel they can make more money, they will jump to a better conference, if invited.

The system, if the purpose is for true competition, surely does need to be repaired. And if that purpose were to include all teams in some sort of equal competition, the NCAA or governing body would determine the conference alignments and schedules. (See the NFL) Also the number of teams in THIS mix would probably be no more than 50% of the existing teams. The other teams would compete on a different level. I truly don't ever see this happening, and is totally hypothetical.

darn, Donovan, you have gotten me making longer posts and rambling on and on. I usually try to keep all posts to 1 or 2 sentences. :D

Return to “General Discussion”