Crap, there goes my Mich St. pick....

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Crap, there goes my Mich St. pick....

Postby Spence » Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:22 pm

Looks like the heart of the Michigan State defense is going to be watching from East Lansing. Guess they better get used to how Marc Dantonio runs his show.

http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/7602076?MSNHPHMA
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Re: Crap, there goes my Mich St. pick....

Postby WoVeU » Tue Dec 25, 2007 9:03 pm

For those who read the article...
Would somebody help me out here...please?

What type of Math class awards 5 credits?
(Now remember this is a Sociology Major, maybe there was an accredited recitation and lab.)

I'm not even going to speak on a guy taking 2 classes and only passing 1.
Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
R. Reagan

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:12 am

It isn't uncommon for a senior football player who only needs a couple of hours to graduate to only take a couple of classes during the football season. I doubt the math class has anything to do with his major. I would guess it was something he thought would help him when he gets drafted. I do know of players who graduate early or on time that use the rest of their scholarship eligibility to take grad courses to save them some money later. Some guys set to graduate just fill their schedule with electives. It depends on the guy.

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:49 am

I could see that...but 5 credits!!!!

I have taken many Math classes and the most I received was 4 credits for Calculus...which was our easiest.

Yes taken grad courses as an undergrad is much cheaper...in Engineering if you are smart you can pretty easily take the undergrad limit...which I think is 3 or 4 most places.
Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
R. Reagan

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:18 am

I guess different places award different credits. I know some schools offer five credits for Calculus. I Believe UW in Madison does, but not sure about MSU. It looks, though, as if he was working on something that wasn't related to his degree. Maybe to do the work he wants to do you have to have some advanced math classes. Just a four year Sociology degree wouldn't require an upper level math class.

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:56 am

Did anyone notice that he said he needed 6 credits to graduate, but fell short 2 on his math class, which had a 5 credit potential; and he took a sociology class which totaled 3 credits :?: :shock:

:idea: :arrow: Math 5 + Sociology 3 = 8 - 2 (math) = 6 :roll:

If he truly only needed six credits, and he was being forthcoming with his achievements in these classes, then, he should still be graduating.

His math doesn't add up to well. :oops:

No wonder why he failed :lol:

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Wed Dec 26, 2007 1:18 pm

Generally math courses that are for 5 credits are basic course..100 division where the class meets daily...my suspicion is "meet daily"...that may mean you have to show up everyday....that is where my money would be and it would give it all the confidence points I lost on that lackluster Boise team! :D
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:19 pm

I never had a class that covered five days a week that didn't involve a lab. I didn't even know that they were available.

RazorHawk
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby RazorHawk » Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:26 pm

Spence wrote:I never had a class that covered five days a week that didn't involve a lab. I didn't even know that they were available.
Does detention count as a class?
Hawkeye and Razorback fan in Florida

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Wed Dec 26, 2007 4:21 pm

Spence wrote:I never had a class that covered five days a week that didn't involve a lab. I didn't even know that they were available.

Michigan State does...basic math....and besides Spence...you probably went to class and studied.............
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:21 pm

RazorHawk wrote:Does detention count as a class?

We didn't have such a thing as detention in school. The "board" of education was the prefered method of punishment. It seemed to work better then detention or temporary expulsion. I never have understood why they expell kids, seems to me that the ones who really should be in school are the ones who get the expulsion. The board worked with me. One time in 3rd. grade and then the booster in 9th grade to carry me to graduation.

Donovan wrote:Michigan State does...basic math....and besides Spence...you probably went to class and studied.............

I did go to class. The studing part was something that had to be learned in college. High School came pretty easy to me and I didn't have to study much. College was a different story. I went to a private school, they had very different methods of teacking and testing. My freshman quarter I had a Western Civ. class. The prof. was excellent. His lectures were very interesting and I learned a lot. The problem was the mid-term. Two questions, one bluebook and neither question was over any thing he had lectured over. The whole test was over the material we were assigned to read. (That I didn't read - at least not well) I tanked it. The prof. (who was also my advisor) asked me why I did so poorly, because I did well in class and I told him we didn't cover any of the material on the test. His response - "Why would I test you on stuff I have covered in class? I know you know it." That was the beginning of my "real" education.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:35 pm

I didn't have a problem going to class. I was paying for them and I am too tight not to blow them off. :lol: We had some small classes, but I don't ever think I had any as small as fifteen. Normal class sizes for us were about 30-35. Freshman classes and some electives would have lots more then that and lectures were usually around 100.

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:09 am

I looked up that Math class at MSU...can't recall the course number right now. 5 credits for linear equations, inequalities, graphical unions, matrices, basic probabilities. I think it is a loader class, carefully constructed for the right people.

If you needed Calculus to graduate and 2 math classes total you could take this class and Cal with 1 other course and be full time. This would allow a person who does relatively well at Math for not giving it a whole bunch of effort in the past and you could saturate yourself in Math that semester and knock it out and be done. (Probably by adviser sign off in the general case.) Linear equations, inequalities, and graphical union stuff, is covered to prepare for Limits, then Derivatives before you even get to the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus. That Theorem usually doesn't even show up until the course is 75 to 80% complete.
R. Reagan

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:15 am

Oh...as I looked to my left and found my Soap Box. I am ALL about saturation...I think Universities and the experience of college would both gain tremendously by getting away from the 3 term system and go to 6 semesters with the course length cut in half. That being full time at 2 classes 6 credits, 7 or 8 weeks long.

From what I've seen in Summer and Evening compressed courses...students do much better, especially working students, which the majority are!
R. Reagan

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:55 pm

I agree, but could you imagine the opportunity for the schools to raise tuition? They could really sock it to you under that system, without making the raises look like much.

Return to “General Discussion”