Create Your Own Playoff At ESPN

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
..fanatic
Coordinator
Coordinator

Re: Create Your Own Playoff At ESPN

Postby ..fanatic » Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:46 am

Totally lame.
"Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it."

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:01 am

I don't understand why people like the fake playoffs. I think the only purpose it serves is so someone can look around and find one that reflects their own opinion so they get validation on what they believe. The ones that don't like the results just disregard that one and look for another. Kind of like voting in the coaches poll works. :lol:
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

..fanatic
Coordinator
Coordinator

Postby ..fanatic » Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:54 am

Spence wrote:I don't understand why people like the fake playoffs. I think the only purpose it serves is so someone can look around and find one that reflects their own opinion so they get validation on what they believe. The ones that don't like the results just disregard that one and look for another. Kind of like voting in the coaches poll works. :lol:

Amen, my friend. I think they're really nothing more than a sticky for the website - something to keep folks hanging around their pages a little longer.

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:42 am

..fanatic wrote:Totally lame.

My thoughts exactly!!!

I signed on, even at this hour to post about them having ESPNU Championship series on right now, and I think WHY WHY WHY would you care about this???????? :roll: :roll: :roll:

Is it any surprise that USC is gonna win it???? Even though I have not seen the results yet? They are down to the semifinals, but I know the outcome. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

And these people don't have an agenda????????
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:35 pm

This is simple diversion.

Keep the folks who are the typical media informed viewers interested in a playoff, by actually giving them something they can visualize.

It does two things.

1.) gets the BCS ney sayers grumbling a little louder.

2.) conives the prototypical media based fan into wanting a playoff from the media's point of view.

(it should happen like this, don't you think... ofcourse you do, because it's what we showed you)

<>

Reminds me of a comment by someone on this forum that stated:

"I don't understand the people here. When I go to other fan sites, they are all for a playoff system. But not here. This is the only site I have come across where the members are advently against it."

<>

Here's an easy way to explain.

All of those other sites, are a bunch of frustrated media fed fans. They are ready to go up in arms about anything the media either posts on a website, or displays as televised coverage.

They are not making up their own minds. They don't care enough to think for themselves. They want somebody else to make things right for them. To justify the way things are. And to tell them when things are amiss.

They are the ones who are going to speak up first. Because the playoff wanting fans do not have things the way they want them (or are told that they want them).

Those of us who are otherwise ok with the BCS, aren't going to speak up. We don't have a reason to. Because we don't see the system as being so bad, that we need to witch hunt the formula.

We only get a little noisey, when people come around telling us that things are so bad, that we need to have a change, so they feel better about the way the game is played.

You tell me why everything is wrong, and I'll question your source for information.

Chris Fowler proved my standpoint, when he was questioning Herbstriet about a playoff.

Herbstriet said:

Look, eveybody who keeps talking about a playoff need to just stop it. It is never going to happen. We maybe getting closer to a plus one scenario. But there will never be a FBS playoff.

Fowler said:

That maybe, but it doesn't make it right.

<>

Okay, Fowler, it may 'not' be right.

And yet again, a playoff may not be right either.

Why should I think so.?. because you said it?

Forget that!

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

RazorHawk
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby RazorHawk » Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:41 pm

I don't have a job, but still have too much to do, to spend any time with that. I would fire up the XBox and do my own, if I were so inclined.
Hawkeye and Razorback fan in Florida

Cane from the Bend
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby Cane from the Bend » Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:25 pm

It's really sad when the media has to resort to video games to make their point.

But to use this fake tournament as a segment on your Live College Football program... well, now that's just outright pathetic.

Showing highlights, and brackets as though there were some intrigue involved...

Are you telling me that with a 1/2 an hour show, you couldn't find anything better to fill the time with than your video game tournament?!

WoW!

Now I know espn is grasping at the straws.

Cane... [__]

"It is only impossible until it has been accomplished." ... then it becomes standardized ...

Success is measured by results; whereas Character is measured through the means by which one achieves those results . . .

It seems the Rapture did come for two worthy souls:
In Memory of Grandpa Howdy
In Memory of Donovan Davisson

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:18 am

David wrote:Wow, you mean I can have a make believe bracket for a make believe playoff system. I could even have make believe players that are 6'6", 290 lbs, run a 4.13 forties, 155 IQs and come from well to do families so they could be walk-ons, saving the scholarships for the real ballers. Oh and the cheerleaders........

Exactly and when it is done if you get the result you hoped for you can sit in your chair and say " See, if CFB would only have a playoff my team would have won. I knew it". If you don't get the result you want, you repeat it until you do. :lol:

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:37 am

CANE!!! YOU NAILED IT Brother!!!!

Especially this....
You tell me why everything is wrong, and I'll question your source for information.

ESPN has become a joke, and I have to struggle to watch them. It's such a joke. :cry:
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:45 am

The media is out inventing news all the time, or blowing up minor news into major news hourly...what do you think they are going to do when there is but a little real news out there to report on.

ESPN just lost 24 hours or more of real CF coverage, that they stretch to 40 hours, and basketball teams are mostly busy at beating down the high school sized colleges in the surrounding 400 miles. Worse this year...a crazy football season...and dipsy-doo dunk-a-roo Dick Vital is down in the "chordage"! It could be ugly 'till February!
Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
R. Reagan

BYUfan1
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby BYUfan1 » Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:37 am

Spence wrote:I don't understand why people like the fake playoffs. I think the only purpose it serves is so someone can look around and find one that reflects their own opinion so they get validation on what they believe. The ones that don't like the results just disregard that one and look for another. Kind of like voting in the coaches poll works. :lol:

The way college playoffs are structured, you can make the argument that even the "real" playoffs are fake. In most cases, teams are seeded based on how the powers that be want the tournament to play out. There should never be home games in college playoffs. Schedules and conferences are too different to say that one team is definitely better than other. You can seed the teams, just play the games on neutral fields.

I would love to see NCAA basketball have a blind draw once the 64 teams are picked out, but that will probably never happen. The small schools always get the short end of the stick when the seedings come out.
The critic is one who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.
-- Oscar Wilde

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:53 am

BYUfan1 wrote:
The way college playoffs are structured, you can make the argument that even the "real" playoffs are fake. In most cases, teams are seeded based on how the powers that be want the tournament to play out. There should never be home games in college playoffs. Schedules and conferences are too different to say that one team is definitely better than other. You can seed the teams, just play the games on neutral fields.

I would love to see NCAA basketball have a blind draw once the 64 teams are picked out, but that will probably never happen. The small schools always get the short end of the stick when the seedings come out.

That is exactly right. They match them up in sections that they think will produce teams that will draw the highest TV ratings. Same thing that the bowls do, only the bowls don't present it as something other then what they are doing.

People say playoffs gives the Cinderellas a chance, but for the life of me I can't remember the last time Cinderella won....Oh wait.

..fanatic
Coordinator
Coordinator

Postby ..fanatic » Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:42 am

BYUfan1 wrote:There should never be home games in college playoffs. Schedules and conferences are too different to say that one team is definitely better than other. You can seed the teams, just play the games on neutral fields.

Fans can't travel on a moments' notice to game after game on neutral fields. You HAVE to have home games. But the fact we're even arguing this little point is just one example why the masses will never be happy with anything.

WoVeU
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby WoVeU » Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:44 am

Fans will travel to one bowl, so I could see them going to one playoff game. But even with only 8 teams...you're asking for 4 teams to get fan support for 2 road games...and 2 teams to support 3. That could be iffy for sure.

And as long as the bowls seem to be growing in number and cash reward...the whole thing isn't going to happen. It is supply and demand, you can ask for what you think you want, but as long as the current supply (bowl games) is getting consumed...you are missing half of the equation!
Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
R. Reagan

Return to “General Discussion”