ESPN: Don't Forget The Defense

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
wvjohn
Coordinator
Coordinator

ESPN: Don't Forget The Defense

Postby wvjohn » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:16 am

Finally the Defense is getting some love, bout time.

By David Albright, ESPN.com

PISCATAWAY, N.J. -- There was no escaping the hideous sportcoats.

Representatives from the Fiesta, Orange and Sugar bowls (not to mention the Gator, Sun and International bowls, too) were on hand at Rutgers Stadium as No. 7 West Virginia dismantled the Scarlet Knights 31-3 on a rain-soaked Saturday in central New Jersey.

Ray Rice got his yards, but the WVU defense held him and the Scarlet Knights out of the end zone.
The representatives obviously saw the endless spectacular runs by WVU's dynamic duo: quarterback Pat White and running back Steve Slaton.

What they might not have noticed was the job turned in by the WVU defense.

For all the accolades regularly handed out to the Mountaineers' explosive offense, it's the under-publicized defense that has been every bit as good all season.

"Offense brings the crowd, defense wins games," White said. "Anytime we're executing offensively and defensively, it doesn't matter who's making the plays, it's a fun game for us."

The WVU defense, which gets 11 days to prepare for Brian Brohm and Louisville on Nov. 8 (ESPN, 7:30 p.m. ET), is ranked in the top five nationally in total defense (No. 3, 262.1 yards per game), scoring defense (No. 4, 14.9 points per game) and pass defense (No. 5, 161.0 yards per game, 11 interceptions).

The Mountaineers kept Rutgers, a team that came in averaging more than 36 points per game, out of the end zone. And WVU intercepted two Mike Teel passes and recovered two fumbles to finish the day plus-four in the turnover department (plus-11 for the season).

"I thought our defensive staff had a really nice plan," coach Rich Rodriguez said. "I was obviously concerned with [Ray] Rice, and he got his yards. With their explosiveness, I wasn't comfortable until the very end. I thought our defense made a few nice plays in the secondary, and we got a couple of nice turnovers."

With four games left -- including three at home -- WVU is in great position in the Big East race and is among the one-loss teams jockeying for BCS position.

Which means the guys in the pale yellow jackets likely will be following around the Mountaineers the rest of the season.
Big 12

FEAR NONE RESPECT ALL

IT IS A GREAT DAY TO BE A MOUNTAINEER WHERE EVER YOU MAY BE

Return to “General Discussion”