Sporting News CFB

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Eric

Sporting News CFB

Postby Eric » Wed May 30, 2007 4:49 pm

Not sure if any of you guys read the Sporting News, but this week, I really liked the college football segment. You don't get this stuff in Sports Illustrated (I can't believe I was subscribed to that magazine for a couple of years :roll: )

Anyway, the article was about coaches who haven't shown that they are "good enough". The featured coaches were Les Miles, Lloyd Carr, Bill Callahan, and Karl Dorrell.

Here's Matt Hayes' article:

Regarding Miles:

"Before Miles, the Tigers hadn't won double-digit games in back-to-back seasons in the program's 100-plus years. Even the Nickator didn't do it.
Why, then,, is this a crossroads season for Miles? Because those four losses the past two years were god-awful--and kept a loaded team from winning a meaningful championship. Meltdowns against Tennessee and Georgia in 2005 and a combined 13 points in losses to Auburn and Florida in 2006 kept the Tigers from backing up their magical season.
The skinny: An SEC or national championship could translate to a new job--don't think he won't leave for another college job (Michigan) or the NFL. The schedule is favorable and the bar is set at 11 wins. Anything else is a step back.
The numbers: 22-4 at LSU, 8-4 vs. ranked teams, 2-0 in bowl games."

Regarding Carr:

"The two sides to the argument: Carr is the best coach in the history of the program, or Carr has done less with more than any other coach. I tend to fall with the former, no matter what the Bo crowd says.
But the past five years have not helped Carr's cause. Michigan is 1-4 vs. bitter rival Ohio State and 1-4 in bowl games. That's eight losses at the end of the past five seasons.
Now more than ever, this program needs a defining championship to reassert itself among the nation's elite.
The skinny: Carr's disdain for the NCAA's hypocritical ways will eventually lead to his retirement. A national title--or another late-season stumble--may be the nudge it takes.
The numbers: 113-36 at Michigan, 39-23 vs. ranjked teams, 5-7 in bowl games."

Regarding Callahan:

"It all sets up for Callahan this fall: Year 4 in Lincoln means four full recruiting classes aimed at changing the run-oriented culture. It also brings Sam Keller, the onetime Arizona State quarterback (and potential NFL first-rounder) who transferred to take over the offense. And, finally, the Big 12 has never been weaker.
What's not to like? How about a team that still isn't tough enough to control the tempo (see: West Coast offense) and a staff that still is learning the nuances of the college game.
The skinny: I still think hiring Callahan was the right move, but this team is desperate for a signature victory. Winning the Big 12 is the expected next step under Callahan. If not this year, when?
The numbers: 22-15 at Nebraska, 3-6 vs. ranked teams, 1-1 in bowl games."

Regarding Dorrell:

"He has the toughest job among BCS schools. Dorrell must set up shop across town from, recruit player-for-player alongside and constantly be measured against the best program in the nation.
The Bruins' victory against the Trojans last year upped the ante. Now UCLA not only is expected to compete with USC, but--with 20 starters returning--the Bruins are expected to compete for the Pac-10 title. Ten wins is a legitimate goal and would eliminate doubts stemming from last year's step back after 2005's 10-win season.
The skinny: Dorrell loves the NFL and eventually wants to return as a head coach (he has turned down opportunities). But he won't leave his alma mater until the Bruins return to the Rose Bowl. That might just happen this season.
The numbers: 29-21 at UCLA, 4-11 vs. ranked teams, 1-3 in bowl games."

So, what do you guys think? I happen to agree with all of them. Carr must bring a national title soon. Michigan has the talent to compete, I just think it's all mental at this point. However, I realize how difficult it is to become a national championship. It just seems to me like they should have one by now or at least played in one by now.

Les Miles is the biggest underachieving coach so far. Anybody who doesn't go to the national title with that team that they had last year screwed it up. They were probably one of the better teams we've seen in a while, they just didn't get it done. I think that one hast to be laid upon Les Miles' shoulders.

Callahan still has some time. I don't think it would be anything to worry about if they finish 8-4 and lose in the Big 12 title game or anything. They have been getting a little better year-by-year and I don't see why he should necessarily be on the hot seat. Nebraska's time will come soon enough.

Karl Dorrell is a good head coach. He hasn't necessarily underacheived, he just hasn't been that great. The high-point of his job at UCLA was the 2005 season when they were really, really good with Ben Olson and Maurice Drew. I don't know what to think because they are this year's It team. They could be a real BCS threat or they could win up in the Emerald Bowl again next year.

And, I couldn't let this go by without mention. The MAC was talked about! :D This was from the Inside Dish segment.

"Nate Davis made huge strides this spring and will be one of the nation's best at his position this fall. Who is Nate Davis, you ask? Merely the nation's best freshman quarterback last season. You know, the same Nate Davis who had offers from Toledo and Cincinnati in 2006, signed with Ball State and threw 18 touchdown passes while playing what he admits was "backyard football" the entire season. One AFC Scout says Davis is the MAC's next great quarterback: "A couple years of fine-tuning mechanics and decision making and he's going to be a major talent."

Cool, I thought I was alone in that. Trust me, he'll lead the Cards to a bowl game next season. Nate Davis will put up the stats and they will probably wind up with a 5-3 conference mark.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Return to “General Discussion”