I know how to solve all the BCS mid-major inclusion problems

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:28 pm

I got a better idea start pestering the ever loving *&^# out of the AD of your school and tell him that you and the other 2500 or so season ticket holders won't renew your tickets until he finds three or four of last year's top 25 willing to put his team on their schedules right now.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Sun Apr 23, 2006 6:10 pm

That should not be difficult.....BCS conferences are padding their schedules with "Snyder syndrome" teams...

The following are playing teams finishing AP Top 25 last year..a sample

Akron vs Penn State
Central Mich vs VT
W. Kentucky vs Georgia
N. Illinois vs Ohio St.
FAU vs Clemson
N. Texas vs Texas
Northeastern vs VT
Marshall vs West Va

AND THAT'S IN WEEK ONE OF THE SEASON...

Jason G
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Jason G » Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:48 pm

Why do people continue to consider scheduling teams like Akron, Northern Illinois, and Marshall as padding their schedules? All of these schools have the potential to be ranked as one of the top 60 teams in the nation, and unless I'm mistaken that would put them in the top half of all Division 1-A schools.

In addition, why does it always seem to being looked at from the point of view of the Penn State, Ohio State, and West Virginia's of the world? There are plenty of complaints about those types of schools scheduling supposedly inferior competition but whom would you have schools like Akron, NIU, and Marshall schedule if they wish to become a better program nationally?

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:36 pm

but whom would you have schools like Akron, NIU, and Marshall schedule if they wish to become a better program nationally?

Jason...I'd have them schedule LSU, South Cal, Notre Dame, Auburn,
Miami, Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, VT, BC...all teams that FSU scheduled when they wanted to make a move on the national scene....play the big boyz and beat 'em and your program gains respect....

Become "King of the Road" like Bobby....Play Ohio State back to back in Columbus, LSU 5 times in Baton Rouge, Michigan State in Lansing, VT in Blacksburg....Nebraska in Lincoln, ND in South Bend....take the fight to the ranked teams.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:12 pm

Why do people continue to consider scheduling teams like Akron, Northern Illinois, and Marshall as padding their schedules? All of these schools have the potential to be ranked as one of the top 60 teams in the nation, and unless I'm mistaken that would put them in the top half of all Division 1-A schools.

I don't view it as padding their schedules. I think all teams should schedule 2 majors and 2 mid majors. The mid majors have to have a way to prove they belong in the picture, if no one will schedule them, then they are in a catch-22. I don't think that 1-AA teams should be on anyones schedule, though.

Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Yeofoot » Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:15 pm

There is a lot of strategy behind games like that, Texas plays North Texas before Ohio State, and they play Sam Houston State the week before OU, There is too much riding on those games to replace those teams with good team.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:23 pm

Become "King of the Road" like Bobby....

There is a lot of truth to that statement. Florida State just didn't get respect. When Bobby Bowden got there he had to play on the road and earn his way to the top. It isn't an easy road, but it can be done. You really can't expect to get a home and away with a top team unless you have proven you deserve to get that kind of respect by playing and winning on the road.

colorado_loves_football

Re: I know how to solve all the BCS mid-major inclusion prob

Postby colorado_loves_football » Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:52 pm

David wrote:First off this is the last time I use the term 'mid-major', from now on I will refer to those teams as the Weak Sisters of the Poor or WSOP for short.

Now for my idea. Lets refer to all of the bowl games as BCS bowls. This way every team that is bowl eligible gets to play in a BCS bowl game we're all included. Doesn't that idea make you feel good about your favorite WSOP team already? I didn't think so.

I got a better idea start pestering the ever loving *&^# out of the AD of your school and tell him that you and the other 2500 or so season ticket holders won't renew your tickets until he finds three or four of last year's top 25 willing to put his team on their schedules right now.

Until then just shut up about it already.
If you are referring specifically to TCU, then I think you need to re-evaluate your position to suit the reality.

TCU doesn't schedule 'weak' teams to 'pad' their schedule, quite the contrary. We've already covered this point, by the way. Their future schedules, include teams like Stanford, Texas Tech, Baylor, just to name a few. They will also be playing LSU, home & away beginning in 2013.

So, if I were you, I'd be careful about 'picking' on anyone, especially TCU.

They don't schedule 'cupcakes' so they can finish with a 'high' national ranking, and likely never would, either.

That being said, if you believe they aren't necessarily 'BCS' material, that's your right, I suppose. But, I dont' think you can legitimately support that view, without being more objective.

Is the MWC necessarily a 'weak' conference? I don't think so. TCU isn't the only competitive team, in that confernece. And, even if it was, (I'm not suggesting that it is), that wouldn't necessarily 'prove' your point, entirely, based on things I've already mentioned. (OOC losses by 'major' teams to supposedly 'weak' teams, in supposedly 'weak' conferences).

So, you are likely walking through land-mine laden field, but if you want to press the issue, go right ahead, I'm game.
Last edited by colorado_loves_football on Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:16 pm

Spence..I have loved the Noles for decades...I remember how thrilled we were in '78 to beat Cincinnati.....

FSU did have a method to moving up to the big time in the 80's...

1. Recruit a few great players..Ron Simmons put FSU on the map in 1979-1980...the big Nose Guard dominated the defensive line and FSU went 11-0 in '80 and to the Orange Bowl (the start of FSU's rep as a defensive team)...which brought in Deion Sanders which brought in a load of good kids. A few good players can elevate a team but a team must build on those...Marshall was good with Moss and UCF was good with Duante Culpepper...but neither could spring board on after they left.

2. Schedule and beat good teams...do what it takes..play 'em wherever, whenever.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:45 pm

billybud wrote:Spence..I have loved the Noles for decades...I remember how thrilled we were in '78 to beat Cincinnati.....

FSU did have a method to moving up to the big time in the 80's...

1. Recruit a few great players..Ron Simmons put FSU on the map in 1979-1980...the big Nose Guard dominated the defensive line and FSU went 11-0 in '80 and to the Orange Bowl (the start of FSU's rep as a defensive team)...which brought in Deion Sanders which brought in a load of good kids. A few good players can elevate a team but a team must build on those...Marshall was good with Moss and UCF was good with Duante Culpepper...but neither could spring board on after they left.

2. Schedule and beat good teams...do what it takes..play 'em wherever, whenever.

Bowden is a good coach (or was depending on who you talk to), he knew he had to get players and to do that he needed to play great teams. I have always been impressed with Florida State's defense. It was that defense, who schooled us in the Sugar Bowl, that changed the philosophy at Ohio State. We recruited big and slow on the lines. That game showed us we needed to be fast. Since Tressel came to Ohio State he has put a premium on speed. He even hired Butch Reynolds as a speed coach. Ohio State has concentrated on strong and fast instead of huge and strong. It has made a difference.

Eric

Postby Eric » Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:19 pm

I always use the Michigan State/Rutgers/New Hampshire example from 2004, that ends up being UNH competitve with California! He never seems to regard that.......... :roll:
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

billybud
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby billybud » Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:34 pm

LOL...Really , transitive wins don't really work...anyone can make it what they want...they are actually fun...go undefeated and you are on no one's chain.

1...2005...Tulane was better than Ohio State...

Tulane beat
SMU who beat
TCU who beat
Oklahoma who beat
Nebraska who beat
Michigan who beat
Penn State who beat
Ohio State

2...Colorado Mines was better than Penn State

Colorado Mines beat
Chadron St who beat
Mesa St who beat
Western New Mexico who beat
St Paul's who beat
Shaw who beat
Bowie St who beat
Morgan St who beat
Howard who beat
Charleston Southern who beat
Coastal Carolina who beat
James Madison who beat
William & Mary who beat
New Hampshire who beat
UC-Davis who beat
Stanford who beat
Arizona St who beat
Northwestern who beat
Wisconsin who beat
Michigan who beat
Penn State

3. West Viriginia was behind:

Florida.....

Florida beat
Florida St who beat
Virginia Tech who beat

Georgia Tech

Georgia Tech beat
Miami FL who beat
Virginia Tech who beat
West Virginia

and Henderson State

Henderson St beat
Harding who beat
Valdosta St who beat
Central Arkansas who beat
Presbyterian who beat
Charleston Southern who beat
Coastal Carolina who beat
James Madison who beat
William & Mary who beat
New Hampshire who beat
UC-Davis who beat
Stanford who beat
Navy who beat
Colorado St who beat
Utah who beat
Georgia Tech who beat
Miami FL who beat
Virginia Tech who beat
West Virginia

West Virginia

ktffan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby ktffan » Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:56 pm

billybud wrote:LOL...Really , transitive wins don't really work...anyone can make it what they want...they are actually fun...go undefeated and you are on no one's chain.

1...2005...Tulane was better than Ohio State...

Tulane beat
SMU who beat
TCU who beat
Oklahoma who beat
Nebraska who beat
Michigan who beat
Penn State who beat
Ohio State

Getting there faster:

Tulane beat TCU
TCU beat Northwestern
Northwestern beat Ohio St.

Colorado Mines beat Chadron State
Chadron State beat Bemidji State (MN)
Bemidji State (MN) beat Wisconsin-River Falls
Wisconsin-River Falls beat Wisconsin-Platteville
Wisconsin-Platteville beat Drake
Drake beat San Diego
San Diego beat Holy Cross
Holy Cross beat Dartmouth
Dartmouth beat Brown
Brown beat Rhode Island
Rhode Island beat Massachusetts
Massachusetts beat New Hampshire
New Hampshire beat Rutgers
Rutgers beat Michigan St.
Michigan St. beat Wisconsin
Wisconsin beat Penn St.

Actually I-A teams that played teams that been beaten by an opponent they already beat were 159-99 last year. There is some validity in transitive wins, but it decreases rapidly the more levels you go.

Eric

Postby Eric » Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:18 pm

Haha :lol: , those are some great ones! My example is from 2004:

New Hampshire beat Rutgers
Rutgers beat Michigan State
Michigan State beat Minnesota
Minnesota beat Alabama
Alabama beat Southern Miss
Southern Miss was "competitive" with California

My conclusion?: New Hampshire could be "competitive" with California! I never thought of it that way :roll: .......

This is nothing compared to the Colorado Mines/Penn State comparison!

Eric

Postby Eric » Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:36 pm

Whoops, I didn't read your post above

Return to “General Discussion”