2006 Conference Schedule Breakdown

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Eric

Postby Eric » Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:05 am

I would agree with you on that but that was because of Cody Hodges. Harrell is a much better quarterback. Texas Tech probably wasn't as good as they were 2 years ago but they will have a legit shot at the BCS in 2006. The sterotype of Tech "not playing any defense" is a load of junk, too. They have been steadily progressing since the Leach era began. I believe they finished in the top 20 this year in defense and I think they still had a top 3 offense. I can't say if they beat out USC this year in total yardage, they might have, but I can't remember.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

colorado_loves_football

Postby colorado_loves_football » Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:53 pm

Eric wrote:I would agree with you on that but that was because of Cody Hodges. Harrell is a much better quarterback. Texas Tech probably wasn't as good as they were 2 years ago but they will have a legit shot at the BCS in 2006. The sterotype of Tech "not playing any defense" is a load of junk, too. They have been steadily progressing since the Leach era began. I believe they finished in the top 20 this year in defense and I think they still had a top 3 offense. I can't say if they beat out USC this year in total yardage, they might have, but I can't remember.
I looked under the NCAA season totals, Texas Tech was #6 overall total offense (TCU was #41) and #30 overall total defense (TCU was #25).
I was surprised, mostly that TCU's offense wasn't ranked any higher. So, you likely are justified in your position, offensively. If you are interested, you can make your own 'judgements'.
http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/mainpage.jsp
Click on 'national rankings' then select the category you are interested in.
TCU's pass defense was only ranked #63 overall, but their scoring defense was #15. Interesting! (don't you agree?)

colorado_loves_football

Postby colorado_loves_football » Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:35 pm

rolltide wrote:I think that will be a good game next year.
It will be good because it will give TCU some idea how they compare to the Big XII competitively. I think their joining the MWC was a strategic move. TCU has a 'history' of moving around, conference-to-conference, I'm guessing with the idea of 'improving' their position within the BCS. And, I think it has worked, if last year is a fair representation of their competitiveness.

I had assumed being in the MWC might limit their bowl options to the Liberty, but it appears they actually have more, than they did as a C-USA member. TCU was invited to the Gallery Furniture Bowl (the Houston Bowl) while in C-USA, but they only played in the Liberty Bowl one time. The Liberty Bowl will likely select the C-USA champion, every year. So, winning the MWC might actually give them an 'advantage' in the BCS. It's even possible that the MWC could conceivably secure a deal with the 'fifth' bowl in a similar fashion to how other 'major' conferneces have. I wouldn't rule it out, altogether.

Return to “General Discussion”