Newcoming Coach of the Year: 2006

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Eric

Newcoming Coach of the Year: 2006

Postby Eric » Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:51 pm

I did this last year, and I picked Mike Sanford last year to at least get UNLV to a bowl game ( :oops: ). As for this year, here is the list of candidates, and of course, give a reason why:

Chris Peterson (Boise State)
Turner Gill (Buffalo)
Dan Hawkins (Colorado)
Dennis Erickson (Idaho)
Ron Prince (Kansas State)
Rick Stockstill (Middle Tennessee State)
Todd Graham (Rice)
Chuck Long (San Diego State)
Al Golden (Temple)
Bret Bielema (Wisconsin)

If I were to pick, I think I'd go with Rick Stockstill. The guy was a very good recruiter for Florida State, and I think he can get the Blue Raiders to win the Sun Belt this year. Some pieces seem to be in place for him. My honorable mention would go to Chris Peterson; I think he's going to win another WAC title.[/i]
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:05 pm

I don't know enough to make a realistic pick, but based on what little I do know I'll pick Brett Bielema at Wisconsin. The Badges have a good program and now have a football guy in the Athletic Directors chair. 8)

Turner Gill and Buffalo may have pulled off swapping the West Virginia game for a game with Auburn and a bigger payday, but athletic directors and coaches have very, very long memories. :twisted:

You know what really ticked me off about that whole incident is that Buffalo did not even try to contact the West Virginia people and work something out or cut another deal ........ and once the dual scheduling of the date became public, Buffalo did not contact and would not even talk to anyone at West Virginia. That, in my mind anyway, is no way to conduct your business. :evil:
Last edited by mountainman on Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eric

Postby Eric » Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:07 pm

Mountainman, look at it this way: Turner Gill wanted a lesser beating, so he went with Auburn! :lol:

Speaking of that, what happened to the open date for West Virginia? Is it still being filled or what?

Eric

Postby Eric » Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:20 pm

I wouldn't sleep on Dennis Erickson either. Nick Holt had some good talent to work with, and this season could've been a big launching pad for him had he stayed. Erickson will be able to at least improve the Vandals offensively, but guys like Cole Snyder are missing on defense. I think Idaho could win 4 or 5 games, but they could shock a few teams along the way with Erickson's guidance. I, however, am not really expecting much anything from them this year.

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:26 pm

Hey Eric. Buffalo has been replaced with the Eastern Washington Eagles (1-AA) for the September 9th date. The game will be played in Morgantown. :?

Buffalo made it tough on the Mountaineers by not living up to their commitment at such a late date. If what I have read is true, Buffalo will net less money from Auburn after they pay the default penality to the Mountaineers than the 450k guarantee that West Virginia worked out with Eastern Washington ...... serves them right ..... I wouldn't say that and would not begrudge Buffalo if they had approached West Virginia and tried to work out a better deal with the Mountaineers and then if a new deal could not have been struck, then tell West Virginia they were backing out for a better deal. :evil:
Last edited by mountainman on Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jason G
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Jason G » Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:53 pm

I think most of these guys will get things going the right way at their schools in the long run but as far as this season goes I would have to go with Bielema at Wisconsin also.

Chuck Long may make a pretty quick impact at SDSU too. I think that team has been underachieving the last few years. Maybe this coaching change will provide the spark they need.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:19 pm

I would say short term it will be Bielema, but in the long term I think Chuck Long will be a star. Great offensive mind.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Jason G
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Jason G » Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:08 pm

Erickson's name will certainly help the level of recruits showing interest in playing at Idaho. If he sticks around long enough he can turn the Vandals around, but that is a big "if".

Eric

Postby Eric » Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:02 am

True, it's a big if. I think Erickson will at least give Idaho some national attention. They're on the map for the first time in forever.

Return to “General Discussion”