Additional bowl games for 2006 postseason

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Jason G
Head Coach
Head Coach

Additional bowl games for 2006 postseason

Postby Jason G » Sun Apr 02, 2006 1:04 am

I know when last season ended there was a lot of talk going around about new bowl games being created for this upcoming season. Since then, though, I haven't heard much on the subject.

Has anyone heard of any changes, outside of the BCS games, for this upcoming postseason as of yet? I know most years there is at least one bowl that ceases to exist or at least changes its conference affiliations.

Eric

Postby Eric » Sun Apr 02, 2006 1:34 am

I know that the ACC and Big 10 have reached deals with the Insight and Emerald Bowl. I'm sure you know of the BCS Championship Bowl. That's pretty much the changes. I'm not sure if the Big 10 is in the Emerald Bowl, I still think that bid belongs to the Mountain West.

The Insight Bowl is kind of odd, because the Pac-10 team is being replaced! That's supposed to be the draw of the crowd. It's also moved from Chase Field (formerly known as the "BOB") to Sun Devil Stadium. I always liked Bank One Ballpark hosting the Insight Bowl.

So far, that's all that I know of, I can't seem to find any more information on the internet.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

colorado_loves_football

Postby colorado_loves_football » Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:58 pm

I might be able to share a little insight (no pun intended) in the Insight Bowl. I know it's being moved to Sun Devil Stadium, but that is partly because the Fiesta Bowl will be played in Cardinal's Stadium.

The only other information I have, is that there would appear to be more bowls that have 'tie-ins' with established bowls. The Poinsettia Bowl was created partly because the Holiday Bowl has been so successful, traditionally. The idea, I think is to capitalize on the geography of those locations. People tend to want to be in warmer environments for the bowls, and that's one way to do it.

The 'fifth' bowl actually isn't the National Championship, it's the Fiesta Bowl. The National Championship was already in place, but it's being held at the same location, one week later. In effect, the BCS is still doing the same thing it has done, traditionally-speaking, but doing it a little more 'trickily'. How they managed it, is still something of mystery.

Eric

Postby Eric » Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:23 pm

The Fiesta Bowl is being played as a regular BCS bowl, but there will also be a "BCS Championship Bowl" being played at the same location as the Fiesta Bowl.

I hear Cardinal Stadium will be a very nice stadium when it's finished!

Eric

Postby Eric » Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:35 pm

LOL, that's pretty funny. I always thought the same thing. Last year, it would've been Buffalo vs. Florida Atlantic. The least they can get is their 3 hours of fame!

Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Yeofoot » Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:24 pm

Kohler should sponsor it, and host it up in Wisconsin.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:50 pm

Yeofoot wrote:Kohler should sponsor it, and host it up in Wisconsin.

They should play it outside, maybe at Camp Randall. Any team that played in it once would work their tails off trying not to go back.

Let's see the body painters out in 4 degree temps. The ones that survive the hypothermia get a badge for being the toughest drunk in college. :lol:
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Jason G
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Jason G » Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:59 pm

Actually, I remember last year there was a lot of talk about a bowl game taking place in the SkyDome in Toronto. Has anyone heard anything about this?

Personally, I'd like to see the return of the Gotham Bowl. I know you wouldn't have typical bowl game weather but the Big Apple is a very popular tourist destination for the holidays and it could still be a very enjoyable event for the teams and their fans.
Most December bowl games are as much about the events and recreational activities leading up to the game as they are about the game itself.

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:56 am

The Big East Conference is looking to start up a bowl. New York and Toronto were mentioned as possible sites. They were really hot after New York and were active on the political front when some in New York wanted to build a new indoor stadium. I believe it has been back-burnered though, the stadium that is, since the International Olympic Committee id not chose New York to host the Olympics here in a few years. :(

Being a host confenernce to a major bowl was mentioned as part of the plans to rebuild the Big East Conference. I haven't heard or read anthing about that piece of the plan in a while, not since the Olympic Committee truned down New York's bid anyway. :)

Jason G
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Jason G » Sat Apr 08, 2006 11:13 am

Thanks for the update. I hope a bowl in New York or Toronto comes to pass. Actually, if it ever happens I'd like to see the other tie-in to that bowl be either with the MAC (desperately needs more bowl tie-ins) or with a conference from somewhere out west (for regional diversity and it would be a bigger deal to go to a place like NYC if you live out west). Plus, teams from the west never seem to come east for bowl games, it is always the other way around.

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Sat Apr 08, 2006 11:48 am

I would imagine that the weather factor has a lot to do with that. For the folks in Southern California, the southwest, and the deep south they think it's really cold if the temperature is 50 degrees. :o

Uh, boy-oh-boy, come January, have we got a new experience for them. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Maybe Yeofoot can give them a little insite. :o :shock: :P

Howdy
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby Howdy » Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:49 am

Jason G wrote:Actually, I remember last year there was a lot of talk about a bowl game taking place in the SkyDome in Toronto. Has anyone heard anything about this?

Personally, I'd like to see the return of the Gotham Bowl. I know you wouldn't have typical bowl game weather but the Big Apple is a very popular tourist destination for the holidays and it could still be a very enjoyable event for the teams and their fans.
Most December bowl games are as much about the events and recreational activities leading up to the game as they are about the game itself.

Gotham Bowl :?:

Not me.
That was the first bowl game for Bob Devaney.
They had trouble getting enough money for it.
Bob kept the team at Lincoln till he was assured they had enough money
in a trust to pay the promised pay out.
Miami was the other team.
Maybe someone can find out if they did the same.

Return to “General Discussion”