Who is the best coach in college football?

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Who is the best coach in college football?

Postby Spence » Sun Mar 19, 2006 2:29 am

This kind of thread is how you know the slow period has arrived. :lol:

Everyone nominate a coach from their conference and one from another conference. You can't nominate your own coach, to try and cut down on bias. Once we get a coach for every conference we will vote on the top coach.

My in conference pick - Kirk Ferentz - Iowa

My OOC pick - Jeff Tedford - Cal.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Jason G
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Jason G » Sun Mar 19, 2006 2:53 pm

My in conference in the MAC would actually be J.D. Brookhart of Akron and I'm not being a homer here. This program was going nowhere for years before his arrival. He steps on the scene and next thing you know the Zips have a conference title and an alum he helped immensely starting at QB in the NFL.

My national coach of the year in 2005 was Geoge O'Leary of Central Florida but he may not be the best overall out there. It was just an incredible rebound year down in Orlando.

I think Tressel has done a great job at OSU as well as a guy like Mangini at Kansas, but right now I may have to go with someone like Pat Hill at Fresno State. It is amazing how he can get those guys there and have them perform at such a high level. I would think that he has got to be just about the best head coach recruiting-wise since he can sell Fresno to so many high caliber players.

Can't argue too much with Tedford either.

Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Yeofoot » Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:30 am

GRUMBLE GRUMBLE GRUMBLE GRUMBLE!!!!

Boob Stops! from OU

Oops, I mean Bob Stoops.

Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Yeofoot » Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:55 am

Out of Conference...

I think I'm going to have to go with a tie on this one between Tressell and Spurrier.

The Sweater Vest vs The Visor

Howdy
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Postby Howdy » Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:06 pm

I am not good at remembering names.
Hope you can make out my picks.

In conference the coach from Kansas is my pick to watchout for.
Outside of conference the coach from USC.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:59 pm

GRUMBLE GRUMBLE GRUMBLE GRUMBLE!!!!

Boob Stops! from OU

Oops, I mean Bob Stoops.

I thought about Stoops as my OOC coach, but I knew you would about have to take him since Les Miles bolted for the SEC. I really like how Stoops coaches. I like the all or nothing style.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:35 am

In Conference:
Forgive me for my bias....But I think the most rejuvenated program in the last 5 years has got to be GA, thanks to Mark Richt.......

Although Spurrier is going to probably take that title in the next 2-3 years.

Out of Conference:
I much as I hate to say it....Notre Dame has recovered greatly after their huge mistake in coaching choice, and brought in Charlie Weiss and will enjoy BCS glory (and money) for a while.
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

bama_girl
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby bama_girl » Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:52 pm

spurrier and stoops, but if the sooners don't do well this year, i reverse my decision and never think highly of him again :?
The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire. ~Mark Twain

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:13 am

rolltide wrote:Richt and Tressel are both good coaches. The only reason I didn't pick Richt is because UGA is always loaded with talent and expected to play for the NC, but they don't get there. They are still really good though. I would have picked him if they had just held on to the Auburn win last year. haha

Well...they do play in the SEC, a VERY tough conference, they knock each other off...(Rich may insert sarcastic remark here.) :lol:
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Eric

Postby Eric » Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:50 pm

I think it's a tie with Ted Hoppner and Jim Tressel. I think anybody who won 5 games with Indiana (even if they came from Central Michigan, Kentucky, and Nicholls State) should get some time in the spotlight! I do think he'll be a coach people need to pay attention to a few years down the road, because I think his system fits well with Blake Powers. If Powers can work on a couple things, I think this offense could fly, as I saw the Hoosiers get pummeled by Michigan State in East Lansing. But from what I saw, I think MSU played their best game of the season, too.

Tressel is an extremely conservative coach, but he is winning, and that's all that matters in the end.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Return to “General Discussion”