USC 2005 vs Miami 2001

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:07 pm

People will always think that a good offense will always beat a good defense. While it would be good to have both, I have always found that the reverse is true. Anyone of these teams in games together would be fun to watch. Anyone of them would be competitive. No one could really know who would win. How many people thought that Utah would beat GT? Bet Mark May or Herbie either one picked Utah. I know I wouldn't have. that is why you play the games.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

colorado_loves_football

Postby colorado_loves_football » Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:33 pm

I think that's a bunch of crap, personally, Miami over USC in the Rose Bowl? Simply because they dominated a Nebraska team that didn't belong there in the first place.
People are too short-sighted. Miami didn't repeat for one thing.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:40 pm

Someone could say that Northwestern 2000 could beat USC, no one can prove it wouldn't happen. That is why is is useless to compare.

colorado_loves_football

Postby colorado_loves_football » Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:54 pm

Everyone has such short-term memory anyway.
Nebraska 1996 was possibly better, however.
Play that game not sure USC comes away with a W.
Nobody remembers how dominant Nebraska was over Florida?
And Florida was national champions the next year, Rex Grossman.

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:08 am

Spence wrote:Someone could say that Northwestern 2000 could beat USC, no one can prove it wouldn't happen. That is why is is useless to compare.

Exactly spence....And it's why i've been on a USC/ESPN rant for months now.....Just a way for them to grab ratings on a sucky network.
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Fri Dec 30, 2005 3:13 am

That we agree on, Derek.

Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

Espn sucks

Postby Yeofoot » Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:58 am

I think if that if Herbstreit talked about Miami vs OSU, he'd still say Miami was better. I think they were better than OSU in every category but one. OSU that year was amazing at winning. That's why it's hard to compare those things. Georgia Tech had better athletes last night, but weren't better at winning. Seriously though, OSU fans, I'm on your side on this one. If Texas wins in OT against USC, all of those media SOB's will still think that USC is better. It doesn't matter how much Texas wins by, in their minds, they just got it together on that one day. Much like they do with Miami and OSU. Herb was going off about how good Miami was yesterday, and you're right, OSU beat that same team after they had another year of experience, but he didn't even see it as possible for Ohio's NC team to beat USC this year. But then again, I'd be on the ESPN bandwagon if they were picking Texas in the Rose Bowl.

Postby Guest » Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:47 am

Yeah Nebraska of the mid '90's would be no pushover for USC. I still think Spurrier's Gators could play with them too. Miami of the early '90's was very dangerous...USC is not the greatest team ever. How many times will ESPN tag the current best team in college football the best ever?

ESPN does have a little too much power.

Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

Bama

Postby Yeofoot » Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:35 pm

Yeah, when Michael Irvin was on the hurricanes. I hate ESPN, wait, I'll brb, gotta check ESPN.com, then go watch ESPN.

colorado_loves_football

Postby colorado_loves_football » Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:26 pm

IT's stupid to try to compare teams even from year-to-year.
So much can happen even over one year to make side-to-side comparisons irrelevant.
Now they are comparing USC to Nebraska of 1995-96.
Like that matters.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:10 pm

think if that if Herbstreit talked about Miami vs OSU, he'd still say Miami was better. I think they were better than OSU in every category but one. OSU that year was amazing at winning. That's why it's hard to compare those things. Georgia Tech had better athletes last night, but weren't better at winning. Seriously though, OSU fans, I'm on your side on this one. If Texas wins in OT against USC, all of those media SOB's will still think that USC is better. It doesn't matter how much Texas wins by, in their minds, they just got it together on that one day. Much like they do with Miami and OSU. Herb was going off about how good Miami was yesterday, and you're right, OSU beat that same team after they had another year of experience, but he didn't even see it as possible for Ohio's NC team to beat USC this year. But then again, I'd be on the ESPN bandwagon if they were picking Texas in the Rose Bowl.

I think even most Buckeye's I know thought Miami had a better team. Herbie didn't think so though, on his radio show in Colunbus that year he said that people weren't giving the bucks defense enough credit. I still believe that Miami was the most talented team in '02, but Ohio State wasn't as far off as everyone thought. We did have almost the entire starting team go to the NFL in the next few years.

Return to “General Discussion”