Urban Meyer

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
colorado_loves_football

Postby colorado_loves_football » Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:28 pm

With respect to coaches that try to 'transition' themselves to the next level, Rolltide makes some excellent points. Urban Meyer did outstanding things at the University of Utah, no question. But Florida is a different style of football, and he's likely going to have a hard time putting his 'trademark' there, pass-oriented.
I see a similar dilemma for Colorado's new coach Dan Hawkins. The WAC is mostly a pass-oriented football confernece. Anytime you are one-dimensional that's a bad thing, and Boise St wasn't known for their running backs.
But, he maybe will do ok at Colorado, because they were 'transitioning' from a mostly run-oriented offense to a more pass-oriented style (Joel Klatt) before Hawkins got there. Klatt is gone, but Colorado likely recruited 'passing' quarterbacks, one in particular (Cody Hawkins), but it still remains to be seen how well that will work at the University of Colorado.
Two bad omens: Chuck Fairbanks attempted to run a 'pass-oriented' offense before McCartney arrived, it never got off the ground, literally.
Then, McCartney, simply 'stuck' with the passing game, until he realized he couldn't win with it. It wasn't until 1985, 4 years after McCartney was hired, that they ran the triple option, becoming bowl-eligible in the process.
TCU, throughout much of the 1980's ran the option, and did ok. But it only takes you so far. Colorado likely won their first (and only) national championship partly because he had a passing QB in the game (Charles Johnson). The year before, Darian Hagan took them as far as the Orange Bowl (national championship), but lost, unfortunately to a better football team, in Notre Dame. Interestingly, Notre Dame was likely a better passing team but weren't as balanced offensively the next year.
Every team, if they are going to get anywhere needs a 'balance'.
I'm reminded about how Richard Petty won all those races in the 1970's.
He wasn't necessarily the prettiest, but he had the best pit crew.
Football teams can impress you with their size and frerocity but sometimes it comes down to how well your kicker is. Finesse, I guess is what I'm implying.

colorado_loves_football

Postby colorado_loves_football » Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:22 pm

rolltide wrote:Good point with Hawkins. I really think he will have to add more balance in his offense at Colorado. TCU runs a balanced offense from what I have seen. This may explain their success against some BCS teams, which usually have too much speed for a one-dimensional offense.
TCU appeared to have good balance, this year against most teams, if their record is a true reflection of how good they were, offensively. I wonder, however, how they would do against a very good defense, say Alabama? Last year, I'm not sure they ever faced a strong defense, so I would have enjoyed having them play them in the Cotton Bowl, but given how badly Texas Tech did, maybe it's a good thing that didnt' happen. TCU struggled against Iowa St., defensively. They won that game on their offense, pure-and-simple.
It's possible they were over-confident, having beaten some pretty-good offensive teams. Iowa St. appeared to be strong defensively, at least to me, and that might explain why it was a close game.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:10 pm

I see where Meyer critcized his running backs, saying that they were inconsistent and that they have to have a good back to run the spread option.

They have a couple of good backs in Deshawn Wynn and Markus Manson. Manson, I know is a stud, because Alabama wanted him. If he can't make the system work, it is because it is a poor system. We saw him go away from the spread last year after the Alabama game. He will have to do something better. You're not in Utah anymore.

People think coaches are good because they win at mid-major schools. Utah was good, and sill is, but that system is not as successful in the SEC. They will win games because of the great players UF has, but they would be even better with a conventional offense.

I hate to bang on a former Buckeye coach, but any head coach that can't adjust his system to best fit his players isn't a good head coach. Jim Tressel would rather have run out of the "I" last year, but Ohio State didn't have the big back to do it. He changed the offense to fit the players.

In a big time football conference like the SEC you can't win with smoke and mirrors, Meyer better figure that out quickly. They won't give him very long in Gainsville if he doesn't get back in the running quickly.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Urban Meyer

Postby Derek » Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:57 pm

rolltide wrote:I see where Meyer critcized his running backs, saying that they were inconsistent and that they have to have a good back to run the spread option.

They have a couple of good backs in Deshawn Wynn and Markus Manson. Manson, I know is a stud, because Alabama wanted him. If he can't make the system work, it is because it is a poor system. We saw him go away from the spread last year after the Alabama game. He will have to do something better. You're not in Utah anymore.

People think coaches are good because they win at mid-major schools. Utah was good, and sill is, but that system is not as successful in the SEC. They will win games because of the great players UF has, but they would be even better with a conventional offense.

Franchione was good at New Mexico and TCU, but the success at Alabama was more about the players Alabama has than Fran. (Every coach since Bryant has had atleast one 10-win season) I think this has become evident with the way Texas A&M has turned out.

Maybe Urban is not a legend after all.... :lol:
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:00 am

Spence wrote:
I see where Meyer critcized his running backs, saying that they were inconsistent and that they have to have a good back to run the spread option.

I hate to bang on a former Buckeye coach, but any head coach that can't adjust his system to best fit his players isn't a good head coach. Jim Tressel would rather have run out of the "I" last year, but Ohio State didn't have the big back to do it. He changed the offense to fit the players.

In a big time football conference like the SEC you can't win with smoke and mirrors, Meyer better figure that out quickly. They won't give him very long in Gainsville if he doesn't get back in the running quickly.

Yep. I feel that Spurrier has spoiled them and caused expectations that just cant be met. I lived in jacksonville for a few years, and I know how the Florida fans are. Urban's got 2 years to be in the Championship game or we will see a http://www.fireurban.com.....In fact, im gonna go ahead and reserve that domain name. :D
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:48 pm

A coach has to run his team according to the talent he has and Meyer's offense requires the QB take it on himself sometimes to lower his shoulder and gain a few extra yards. Leek isn't willing to do that, so if Meyer doesn't change his format or his QB then he will have problems.

bama_girl
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby bama_girl » Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:39 am

urban meyer is a big ol' cry baby :roll:
The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire. ~Mark Twain

Eric

Postby Eric » Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:28 am

I think you bring up a good point with Dan Hawkins as well. Boise State actually was very balanced last season, but we know that because Zabransky was so darn inconsistent. Boise had about 200 ypg on the ground last year. So will Dan Hawkins bring that style of football to Colorado? He might.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Jason G
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Jason G » Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:54 pm

I think Urban Meyer will be fine at Florida. He fit his offensive style to the players he had at Bowling Green and at Utah. I am confident that he will do the same at Florida.
I don't think you can really accurately judge a coach and his system until he has been at a post for at least three or four years and is playing mostly his recruits and not his predecessor's.

Speaking of teams changing their offensive mindset. What do you all think of what is going on at Nebraska? How will that work out?

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:25 am

I think Urban Meyer will be fine at Florida. He fit his offensive style to the players he had at Bowling Green and at Utah. I am confident that he will do the same at Florida.
I don't think you can really accurately judge a coach and his system until he has been at a post for at least three or four years and is playing mostly his recruits and not his predecessor's.

Speaking of teams changing their offensive mindset. What do you all think of what is going on at Nebraska? How will that work out?

Nebraska is a different situation then Florida. You are talking about changing entire philosophies about football at Nebraska, rather then fitting players to best be utilized. Nebraska's Callahan had to build his football team from the ground up. Nebraska used to recruit smart running backs to be QB for a three running back system to run the option, but Callahan wants a team where the QB runs the show. Very different from just changing the base offense around a little to find out the best way to exploit your talent.

If they let him stick around long enough I think Callahan will bring Nebraska back to the top half of CFB. He is a wonderfull recruiter and a good game day coach. Once he gets the right players playing in the system he will be fine.

Return to “General Discussion”