APR penalties

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:54 pm

That is why I don't like the APR penalties as they are written. Some of what athletics programs are about is taking a chance on kids who would otherwise not get to go to college. If they were scholars, they wouldn't need the athletic scholarship. Coaches have taken advantage of this for years, getting kids who shouldn't be in school, just to win. Designing ways the athletes could pass their classes without ever really working towwards a major. That is what should be stopped. These kids should be working toward a real major and be keeping up with their class work. The APR does nothing to help that, if anything it gives coaches and programs one more reason to cheat.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:07 pm

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:55 pm

I think players should be taking core classes working towards a major. If they do that and can't keep up their grades, then they shouldn't play.

The way it is set up now a player can take elective courses, pass them, and look good in the eyes of the NCAA. This doesn't reform the schools it was intended to reform at all.

Andy Katzenmoyer spent three years at Ohio State and didn't take one class that would work towards a major when Cooper was coach. He wasn't made to and that was the problem. That is what needs to be changed.

I used Ohio State as an example, but this same sort of thing goes on all over the US.

Return to “General Discussion”