CFP Radio Show - Help!

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.

What programs do you have?

iTunes (iT)
No votes
Real Player (RP)
9%
Windows Media Player (WMP)
64%
iT/RP
No votes
iT/WMP
No votes
RP/WMP
No votes
All
27%

Total votes: 11

openSkies
Administrator
Administrator

CFP Radio Show - Help!

Postby openSkies » Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:10 pm

Please select the media players you have on your computer, that way we know what format to produce any audio in.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:18 pm

I voted media player, but I have real player also. I didn't read the who poll. :oops:
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

bama_girl
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby bama_girl » Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:44 am

i like windows media.
i have real player too but i despise it :evil:
The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire. ~Mark Twain

openSkies
Administrator
Administrator

Postby openSkies » Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:26 am

LubbockHasNoTrees wrote:you also forgot to put WinAmp... also... I'd suggest using Shoutcast... it's playable from a variety of applications.

I didn't put WinAmp because WMP can play anything WinAmp can. No point in confusing anyone haha.

About Shoutcasts... that's the way I was going to go, but there are some problems. First, the DSP Plug-In doesn't work too well. I mean, it's pathetically simple (and the "Push to talk" button doesn't even work). Secondly, neither CollegeFootballPoll.com's host or my personal host have Shoutcast servers installed. The cheapest Shoutcast server I can find it about $150/yr for only 24kbps.

RealProducer, though, is a bit better. And most people have RealPlayer, or can easily get it. Yeah, it sucks (I hate that thing too), but it's the only thing that seems feasible.

In regards to the Flash thing... I don't think you can have live streaming audio through Flash. By that I mean I can't be here talking, recording straight to my online file, which you are buffering/listening to with a 30-second-or-so lag. Could be wrong. But CFP Admin has to run this anyways, and I think Flash is a bit over his head haha.

So, basically, at this point we're either looking at an expensive Shoutcast or a free RealPlayer stream. If you have any other ideas, or know of any other programs, PLEASE let me know. These two aren't making me happy haha.

Oh, and I've figured out how to get phone calls into the mixer.

//

Lubbock, question, you might know this one...

Mic + Cell phone INTO Mixer CH1/2.
Mixer INTO Computer Line-In

Any idea how I can get music on the comp to come through the mixer? If I just plug the speaker jack into the mixer, I'd get a bunch of feedback from the doubling-up of the mic and phone.

openSkies
Administrator
Administrator

Postby openSkies » Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:36 pm

Looks like Shoutcast is the winner by default.

RealProducer is crap, and I found a nice editor for Shoutcast.

Lubbock, any idea where to find a good cheap Shoutcast server? =]

Postby Guest » Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:32 pm

Obviously, setting up your own Shoutcast on your own servers would be the best... other than that... I did a little research and found... http://www.primcast.com/shoutcast.php. They seem to be pretty cheap in comparison. It also seems like I've heard of Primcast before.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you use Shoutcast, won't we have to be tuned in at the time of the broadcast in order to hear it? If so, wouldn't it be feasible to just record an mp3 of a 3 minute broadcast and create a player for that file on the site that we can access? That way, we could go reference that file at later times or if we weren't able to tune in at the time of broadcast.

Onto the mixer setup...
I believe it's as simple as muting the Line In on the playback mixer on the computer... leave the Line In selected as the recording device, but mute it on the playback... that way the Line In won't be sent straight to the output at the time of broadcast, but it'll still record in fine. That should remove your loopback... and allow anything going into the mixer to be recorded, but not played back simultaneously.

bama_girl
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby bama_girl » Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:25 pm

i was talking to someone about this earlier and they told me to check out "skype"
i checked it out and it just looks like an instant messaging thingy to me but i could be missing something :?
The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire. ~Mark Twain

openSkies
Administrator
Administrator

Postby openSkies » Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:00 pm

Yeah, that server is the same price as the one I found. Yours seems to be a bit more reliable looking, though.

About the streaming... we'd have streaming so that people could call-in, and then have an archive up for the last couple of shows (not all, that'd kill our storage).

The official word is this...

This radio show will NOT be a part of CollegeFootballPoll.com (officially). CFP Admin doesn't want to do it (due to time constraints), but I would still like to.

It'd basically be as I explained earlier, but since it's not part of CFP it's not for commercial use, and there's no boundries, really.

We'll still have the weekly post/pre-game and the top 25 standings as per the CCR 119.

I also have a few other ideas for segments. You'll just have to wait and see =]

openSkies
Administrator
Administrator

Postby openSkies » Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:59 am

Gooooood idea =] I think we'll have to build it up a little first, though, haha.

Streaming idea is ditched. Too much trouble with the host, plus call-ins could get tricky (we don't have word censors on telephones yet haha). It's OK, though, because now we can do it better.

People call, leave a voicemail, and I can come home later and record it. We can have a topic of the week and people can comment on it for 6 days, then it's aired.

Any idea where to get a 1-800/866/8whatever number?

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sat Feb 25, 2006 3:54 pm

Call your local phone company and ask about a "watts line" they should be able to hook you up.

AT&T is a big carrier, or you could check out a smaller re-seller. You may want to think twice about that, though, We pay 2.9 cents a minute for our lines at work. If it gets really popular and say 1000 people start hitting you a day, it could run into a lot of money. You could get a separate local # and let people who want to do it use a cell to call the #. That isn't the most professional way to do it, but it would be cheaper.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

bama_girl
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby bama_girl » Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:45 am

[ You could get a separate local # and let people who want to do it use a cell to call the #. That isn't the most professional way to do it, but it would be cheaper.[/quote]

that's what i'd do, that way you woudn't have too many monkeys calling in and running your bill up too.

Jason G
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Jason G » Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:47 pm

I have both RealPlayer and WindowsMedia but I think I clicked on the just RP option in the poll.

openSkies
Administrator
Administrator

Postby openSkies » Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:42 am

Anyone interested in helping test out the new site for our radio show?

bama_girl
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby bama_girl » Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:50 am

sure!
just tell me what to do

Return to “General Discussion”