OCG Games

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:44 pm

This are the kinds of games you like to see when adding the extra game. I'm glad more schools are starting to think about this. Oklahoma has done it for several years and it is why some people think Oklahoma is a "favorite" in the polls. It has to do more with who the play rather then getting favoritism.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:25 pm

perhaps all schools could become independents and have marquis games every week . . i'm kidding . . we've been down that road before . . even though notre dame does not have a conference i do find something about their schedule a little troubling . penn state and michigan back to back in 2006 and 2007 . no bye week in between . ouch .

Some thing like that happens every year in conferences. :D

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:15 am

True, then again they have Army and Navy too.

colorado_loves_football

Postby colorado_loves_football » Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:10 pm

I think they should be complimented for playing a competitive schedule, but I also think they ought to be playing more Big East teams. I like Notre Dame, but they aren't being true to their history by 'ignoring' the Big East, competitively-speaking. I like how they are playing Big Ten teams, every-year, and winning, but unless they are planning on joining the Big Ten, it's something of a waste of calendar space.
I don't like how Notre Dame can schedule whoever they want, whenever they want, but I guess that's one of the 'perks' of being Notre Dame.
Maybe eventually, Notre Dame will 'wake-up' and recognize that they can play a competitive schedule, every year, while also gaining access to the BCS, simply by joining a conference. I would prefer it be the Big East, but any conference would be ok by me.
Now, if you two still want to 'duke it out' go ahead, but don't make me the referee. Do I look like Miles Lane to either one of you?
For one thing I'm 37, for anohter I still have my hair. And I don't look good in stripes. But I'm going to tell you to take a 'corner' unless you want to put on the gloves, and fight over who has the best 'pick-up' line.
Last edited by colorado_loves_football on Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

colorado_loves_football

Postby colorado_loves_football » Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:30 pm

I think those teams will challenge Notre Dame, regardless. For some, Notre Dame is maybe the only team that matters, believe it or not.
Air Force really gets excited whenever they play Notre Dame. I've attended games where they've played, and there's almost as many Notre Dame fans as there are Air Force fans, probably would be more but for the fact the stadium isn't that big.
Navy will likely be better this year, but whether or not they can beat Notre Dame is probably another matter. Air Force tends to play to the level of their competition, but it's been a long time since they beat Notre Dame, back when Lou Holtz was still a coach, if I'm not mistaken, in OT.
Stanford will likely be tough, if last year's game was any indication.
I commend Notre Dame for playing what amounts to the toughest schedule in I-A, bar none. If someone plays a more competitive schedule, I'll be very surprised. It will test the Irish in more ways than one. They were good last year, but they will need to be better this year, if they are to 'duplicate' their 9-2 record.
But I also think it will be a 'fun' schedule, but as already mentioned, I might have preferred a W. Virginia, or even a Boston College, among the teams selected. As it is, it's very competitive but not very representative, of conferences.

Return to “General Discussion”