Conference Mantra's

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

Conference Mantra's

Postby Yeofoot » Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:10 am

How would you describe each conferences philosophy? Like what is the core differences of how they play the game.

Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Yeofoot » Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:33 pm

PAC-10, a finnesse conference, you don't get tackled if you don't touch me. If you're between me and the endzone, I'm either going to try to break your ankles and run around you, or throw it to that 6'5" guy behind you. Try to recruit the most agile.

Big-10, smash mouth football, If you're between me and the endzone I try to run through you. Try to recruit the strongest.

ACC and SEC, the 3 sport athlete conference, If you're between me and the endzone, we're going to have a foot race to the corner. Try to recruit the fastest.

Big-12, the only reason we throw the ball is to set up the run conference, aka the option conference, If you're between me and the endzone and you try to tackle me, I'm pitching it. Try to recruit Texans.

Big East- the special teams conference, if you're between me and the endzone, I'm protecting the ball, I know you're going to try to strip it. They try to recruit BCS caliber players.

MWC and MAC, the wannabe conference. If you're between me and the endzone I'm going to try to prove to you that you should've recruited me. Try to recruit, guys that got overlooked by the big conferences, and guys that want to play as true freshman.

The Others, I don't care.
Last edited by Yeofoot on Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:45 pm

Well, since you don't care ...... guess I'll ignore your question. :wink:

Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Yeofoot » Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:57 pm

an oversight MM, sorry, no offense, it's there now. :oops: :oops:

Postby Guest » Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:14 pm

None taken, Yeofoot. :)

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:17 pm

Oops !!! Got the wrong syntax. :?

None taken, Yeofoot. :)

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:03 pm

The big -10 is still smashmouth on defense, but the offenses look nothing like smashmouth anymore. Hopefully we will get back to that a little bit in the future. I have nothing against the spread, but if it is your base offense then you have weaknesses on the line you are trying to cover up.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:13 pm

Everything you say about the spread is right. The spread also allows you to get by with a subpar offensive line. That is why it is so widely used. As a coach if it were possible to run off tackle down the field and score, chew up 8 or 9 minutes wouldn't you do it?

I'm not against the spread as a two minute offense or a quick strike offense, but if it were me I would rather run out of the I and overwelm the opponents defense. Especially early in the game. Then in the second half you can have your fun.

Eric

Postby Eric » Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:14 pm

I'll do one, see what you guys think:

ACC: They're kind of a mix of hard-hitting, good defenses with some finesse on the offensive side of the ball. They're similar to the SEC, just not as physical.

Big 12: This is a kind of hard one to say. I don't know if anything really seperates this conference from the other. I can't really say.

Big 10: I agree 100% with Spence that this conference's rough and tough smashmouth style has been vaporized into oblivion. Penn State, Ohio State, Michigan State, Indiana, I think Illinois, and Northwestern have all gone spread. I don't like it for one, because this conference has always been smashmouth. Well, at least Wisconsin and Michigan are trying to keep up the tradition.....I think Michigan is taking it conservatively though :roll:

C-USA: C-USA football is all about offense and parody. Anybody can beat anybody in the conference, and from top to bottom, this conference is the most equal.

Big East: This is all about offense too, kind of in the passing game. None could really get the running game going besides West Virginia. Most don't take defense seriously in the conference.

MAC: I agree with whoever said this was the wannabe conference. It is a solid conference, not in 2006 as it appears to be shallow, but on a regular basis, the upsets this conference is their claim to fame.

Mountain West: This conference is all about scoring points on one night and playing solid D on another. New Mexico, TCU, and Colorado State have shown times of good D, while BYU, TCU, and Utah have very good offense. I guess this conference is seperated by its inconsistency of style of play, regardless, it is a solid conference.

Pac-10: Offense. not serious D. All about the passing game and scoring 40 points.

SEC: Big-time smashmouth. Florida is kind of unorthodox in that region by switching to the spread.

Sun Belt: Oh, geez, their claim to fame is futility compared to other conferences.

WAC: Once again, they are seperated by diversity, offense, and inconsistency. They have teams from Hawaii to Utah, from Louisiana to California. They have some big time offense (New Mexico State will get there soon). Teams show up and don't show up on any given Saturday. Fresno almost beats USC on the road, then loses a close one to Nevada, then gets beat up by Louisiana Tech at home. Boise State has had their games on the brink of disaster in past years.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:35 pm

The spread originated when teams couldn't match up physically with the other teams defenses. The defenses are adjusting with very fast linebackers who move laterally very well and are quick enough to cover in the flat.

There is no defense for getting ran over.

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:03 pm

You got that right, Spence.

I don't know who to credit this quote to. I heard it a long time ago and it has stuck with me:

"There's nothing in the world that commands more respect than brute force."

If you have ever had to take on a 250lb fullback in order to stop the isolation play you know exactly what this means. :wink:

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:19 pm

If you have ever had to take on a 250lb fullback in order to stop the isolation play you know exactly what this means.

And if there is a 235lb tailback following him by the third quarter what used to be a defense is now mush.

Woody Hayes used to say "go out and hit them in the mouth until the respect you, then hit them until they fear you". If you hit the best defense in the world in the mouth long enough they will eventually yield.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:14 pm

I agree with you that you have to do what your talent allows and that the spread will be around a while. I'm just saying is the reason you use an offense like that is to make up for a deficiency in talent. Overwelming force would always be the first choice of a coach. Sounds like we are on the same page.

Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Yeofoot » Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:21 am

So, can I get get all high and mighty about Penn State learning the offensive scheme from UT. Is that a common practice at all? Do you think Texas had alterior motives, because if Ohio State had beaten Texas, they definitely would want the next team to beat them, right?

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:50 pm

So, can I get get all high and mighty about Penn State learning the offensive scheme from UT. Is that a common practice at all? Do you think Texas had alterior motives, because if Ohio State had beaten Texas, they definitely would want the next team to beat them, right?

Nothing wrong with a little help from your friends. :lol:

Jim Tressel got to observe Larry Coker and Miami work out before the 2002 season started. It had to have helped Ohio State in the Fiesta Bowl that year.

Return to “General Discussion”