Instant Replay

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.

Instant Replay

Keep It
41%
Dump It
18%
Change It
41%

Total votes: 17

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Instant Replay

Postby Spence » Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:25 pm

Does instant replay work? If it doesn't what can be done to make it work better? Should it be taken out all together?
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:57 pm

The problem with that is the NFL system costs a lot of money and some conferences can't afford it.

I would be for the instant replay system if they could make it work 98% of the time. So far that hasn't happened. I am more likely to forgive an official for a missed play if it is a bang bang call. When they get the chance to review it and still mess it up, then I have a problem.
Last edited by Spence on Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:03 am

:lol: I don't know how much the NCAA made (they claim to be non-profit)
The NCAA doesn't have to pay for anything though, the conferences have to cover their own costs.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:17 am

The problem with that is the "if they wanted". The major conferences have the money and probably could see that the smaller conferences get instant replay. They won't do it, though, the only revenue sharing NCAA schools do is with their own conferences and money to support the NCAA. I don't see them handing out money to someone else. They have never done it before.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:10 am

Football doesn't share except among conference members. I don't know exactly how the breakdown in b-ball works. If I had to guess, though, I would bet the split isn't even.

A big difference is that the NCAA runs the b-ball tourney and the NCAA has nothing to do with the bowls. The NCAA has no say what-so-ever concerning football post season, except governing eligibilty and enforcing the rules. The bowls aren't sanctioned by the NCAA. The conferences make their own agreements. That is why certain conferences get automatic bids and certain conferences do not. That wouldn't be the case if the bowls were sanctioned by the NCAA.

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:20 am

Instant replay has hurt sports....it has not solved one problem it was meant to solve.

Officiating is part of sports...work on better officials and let it be.

Could diatribe forever on electronic posibilities...but unnecessary...just go back to human element...we will all survive.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:48 am

Keep it.
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

donovan
Athletic Director
Athletic Director

Postby donovan » Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:58 am

lets put chips in all baseball gloves...on the bases and in the balls....then we will know with absolute certainty which came first..the chicken or the egg.........

then lets use the electronic strike zone we already have..that would be just great..and if you wanted to dispute a call...the coach could just email bill gates.

Put sensors in the pads of football players and the ball and on the field...found out exactly where the tackle was....we have that technology.....use a laser....unlike the tv line...for the first down line......no need for the chain gang.....

how simple would it to be to put sensors in the goal posts and the ball....you would know if the pat or field goal was good...would not need to zebras holding up their hands to tell you........and hook it directly into the scoreboard so we can fire the scoreboard keeper.....

.....................at least with all of these things......and so many more....Oklahoma could be National Champs....well...except for Boise.
Statistics are the Morphine of College Football

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:35 am

donovan wrote:Instant replay has hurt sports....it has not solved one problem it was meant to solve.

Officiating is part of sports...work on better officials and let it be.

Could diatribe forever on electronic posibilities...but unnecessary...just go back to human element...we will all survive.

I agree.

Eric

Postby Eric » Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:31 pm

In some instances, there were teams that were righted because of instant replay. Of course officials take too much time sometimes, but there would be games where a terrible call would determine the outcome of the game.

Remember the A&M/Tech game earlier this year? We would never have experienced that awesome hail mary if it weren't for replay because, remember, there was that terrible interception call that was overturned.

A lot of big plays are terribly officiated that determines outcomes of games. What's so bad about replay? It gets most of the calls right.

And, if teams like Florida want to complain about the Auburn game, without replay, your team would get shafted anyway! Same goes with Oklahoma. So, instead of having every team that is not benefitted from a bad call be penalized, keep the replay instead of just ditching it because it "takes to long" or "teams are already getting shafted". I don't understand the argument :?
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:54 pm

A lot of big plays are terribly officiated that determines outcomes of games. What's so bad about replay? It gets most of the calls right.

My rub with replay is that they shouldn't get most calls right. They should get all calls right. Either they let the play on the field stand of they get it right. Several times this year they reversed calls and got them wrong. That shouldn't happen with replay.

If a field official gets one wrong - I understand. I don't think the replay guys should be afforded the same understanding. They have a chance to look at it slow and after the fact. If they can't do the job correctly given those circumstances, they shouldn't be doing that job.

Eric

Postby Eric » Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:23 pm

Well, I can't really recall too many instances where the referees made the right call on the field and then made the bad call after looking at it. I do understand that they should get all of them right, for whatever reason, they don't always do that.

Most of the bad calls being corrected is better than none of the bad calls being corrected. Right?

Don't you just hate it when a team that you really dislike (Notre Dame) gets lucky in a big game with a crappy call? At least with replay, you overturn those calls, although it's only most, it is certainly better than 0% of the time. The painfully obvious mistakes are the ones that used to bug me. Now, with replay, those awful, mistaken calls are dealt with correctly so it does not change the outcome of the game.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:40 pm

Most of the bad calls being corrected is better than none of the bad calls being corrected. Right?

I think bad calls are part of the game. I would like for them to get the calls right, but even if it effects my team, I would rather them not do replay. I know I am in the minority on this one.

I personally saw two games Ohio State was invoved with this year where replay officials overturned the call on the field and the call on the field was correct. One helped Ohio State and one hurt them, so that isn't my sticking point. I just think if replay officials shouldn't over turn a call on the field unless they are 100% sure they are right and those two instances were clearly cases of them not being 100% sure.

Eric

Postby Eric » Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:55 am

I'm just going back and reading some of the posts (at 1:48 AM on a Monday morning :lol: ), and I just don't think that's good enough to tell a team that just got ripped off against Notre Dame that, "hey, it's just part of the game, deal with it." No, it shouldn't be part of the game.

Wasn't it in 2003 when Penn State got ripped off against Ohio State? Anyway, my memory may be a bit fuzzy, but didn't Hartstock "catch" a pass that lead to a game winning FG? Guess what? That play doesn't happen with instant replay.

I just don't think telling a player that lost on a piece of crap call to "deal with it" is good enough.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:04 am

It wasn't Ben Hartsock, it was Chris Gamble. But earlier in the same game the referee called a complete pass and incomplete pass. No one can say that the drive would have went anywhere, but it also could have went for a TD. Those calls have a way of evening out.

Anyway, with replay, we have had calls that the replay officials have gotten wrong. What would be the difference? If they miss calls or completely get it wrong.

As long as humans are in charge of the system it will remain imperfect. Replay has just added one more layer of incompetence.

Return to “General Discussion”