Toyota Gator Bowl

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Eric

Toyota Gator Bowl

Postby Eric » Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:15 pm

Virginia Tech should manhandle Louisville. The Cards are missing Brain Brohm and they got nailed by South Florida earlier this season. Marcus Vick plays for Tech as Hunter Cantwell (a freshman) will be starting for U of L. Virginia Tech has by far the tougher defense between these two schools, and they can run the ball better. VT should dominate.

BUT

Louisville has been picking things up recently. Louisville actually has a better rushing attack than Virginia Tech, by 1 spot. Hunter Cantwell actually has started, and beat UConn (less than impressively). The Cards have the #7th ranked offense in the nation as well. But, Virginia Tech has the #4 defense. They could be vulnerable considering that bad loss to Florida State to get knocked out of the BCS. Regardless, Virginia Tech plays better defense, they run the ball better, and they are more physical. VT wins.

My prediction, Virginia Tech 30-20.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

go hokies?

Postby Yeofoot » Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:28 pm

Marcus Vick has ChisSimmsSyndrome, the best QB ever when he plays a crappy team, but put some pressure on him and he folds. Elvis is going to put a lot of pressure on him. Look for Louisville to pull an upset. VTech SHOULD win, but Vick has yet to elevate his game when he needs to.

Eric

Postby Eric » Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:45 pm

I agree, but come on, regardless of how Vick plays, I think the defense and the ground game should be good enough to put an overrated Louisville team away. Louisville has the "Old Texas Tech Syndrome" (or OTTS) where they kick the crap out of crappy teams yet they struggle on offense against good defenses. I think VT is more physical as well.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

..fanatic
Coordinator
Coordinator

Postby ..fanatic » Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:20 pm

This game has me worried. We have only won once in Jacksonville and the comments about Marcus Vick's performance in big games are so true. He played miserably against Miami and FSU. Now, the pressue is really on him to perform. What he needs to do is realize he has a whole team around him and not take it all on his shoulders. Trust the play call and run it (he checks off way too much).

Louisville is a team that, if they get a lead, will try to run you out of the stadium. And even if we get up by three touchdowns, we can't rest until the game is completely over.

I say we need to bring pressure on the QB early and rattle him badly. Then, shut down the run. On offense, we need to establish the run but maybe throw some deep balls early to back them off the line. Otherwise, the passing game should consist of short and medium timing routes that allow Vick to throw quickly and keep Dumervil out of his head.

Louisville has so much to gain by winning this game. I hope our players realize how badly Virginia Tech needs to win it, too. Losing this game is not an option. It would suck big time!
"Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it."

Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

Marcus Vick throws 5 picks

Postby Yeofoot » Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:55 pm

Even if Vick throws 5 picks, I'd still have my money on VT, one thing VT always sneaks up on people is special teams. VT could kneel the ball every play and still outscore them with their special teams and defense. Wasn't Louisville ranked in the top 10 preseason. What happened?

openSkies
Administrator
Administrator

Postby openSkies » Thu Dec 29, 2005 4:24 pm

Yeah, Tech's special teams is usually great, but during the ACC Championship they were no where to be found. The punt return against FSU was a perfect example. Not to mention that Schmitt (P) breaks down in those key moments. I'm not counting on VT's special teams when it comes to this game.

I think it's going to come down to the run game. Like ..fanatic said, Vick needs to keep Dumervil out of his head. But if his past few games say anything, I think they say that he won't be able to do that. Louisville's defense will keep Vick out of the game. Tech's secondary will keep Louisville's air-attempts to a minimum.

Expect and old fashioned running game. Also expect Louisville to roll some eyes when they kick VT in the stomach and come up with a win, or at least a close loss.

Just my two cents =]

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:23 pm

In college ball it usually comes down to the run. I still think Tech wins the game.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

..fanaticjr
All-American
All-American

Postby ..fanaticjr » Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:03 pm

What I predict: VT 24-21
What I hope: VT 63-0

Derek
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Derek » Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:28 am

VT -35
Loserville - 7
They’re either going to run the ball here or their going to pass it.

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.

See, well ya see, the thing is, he should have caught that ball. But the ball is bigger than his hands.

- John Madden

Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

Louisville

Postby Yeofoot » Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:02 am

I'm picking Louisville on this one, no not really. VT, by 21 points, Vick has highlight reel that they show all off-seasong trying to put him as a candidate for the Heisman.

Jason G
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Jason G » Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:26 am

I think this will be a close game. I'm not sure why I think that. VT has to be careful of playing "down" because they expected a BCS birth up until their last game.
Louisville does have a lot to play for, both for their program as well as their new conference but VT certainly has the better talent at this point.

Nobody seems to be giving the Cards much of a chance and strange things tend to happen in bowl games.

My prediction: Louisville 27 Virginia Tech 25 even though VT should win going away

..fanaticjr
All-American
All-American

Postby ..fanaticjr » Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:13 pm

We just started packing because we're going to it. We're leaving tomorrow and coming back after the game. So, if I'm gone for a while it means we're not home, or I got attacked by a pack of angry three-legged chihuahuas :shock: This will probably be the best bowl game of my life, seeing how my best friend is going with me. My family kind of brainwashed him into being a Tech fan seeing how when we met him he was a big Michigan fan.

Have A Happy New Years Day! :D

Return to “General Discussion”