2006 Schedules

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
CFP Admin
Administrator
Administrator

2006 Schedules

Postby CFP Admin » Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:06 am

If anyone is interested, we are in the process of adding 2006 schedules. Not every team has released theirs yet. The MAC is notoriously late for this. Additionally, some of the other smaller conferences have not finalized their league schedules. But many teams are done. I'm sure we can expect some late changes due to television networks like ESPN wanting to get games moved to certain days but with a 12-game season there appears to be far less wiggle room. I've seen cases where teams are playing on Saturday and then the following Thursday. So far, I don't think I've run across a single Wednesday game. Many teams don't have a single open date. They play 9/2, 9/9, 9/16, 9/23, 9/30, 10/7, 10/14, 10/21, 10/28, 11/4, 11/11 and 11/18. Some skip a week and finish on 11/25. Army/Navy is still the first weekend in December. A lot of teams are playing a 1-AA school as their 12th game. Many others are still picking on the Sun Belt and the MAC for non-conference games.

We've worked our way through the alphabet. Several schedules are just now being made public and those are being added as quickly as possible.
Last edited by CFP Admin on Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:41 am, edited 3 times in total.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:47 am

How does the computer figure SOS for the computer poll in the pre-season? Is it based on last years over all records? I am trying to get a feel on how much weight should be given to last years finish.

I can't believe that most teams are wasting their 12th game playing 1-AA teams. I guess someone is going to have to be burned really bad in the BCS to get them to take advantage of the 12th game.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

colorado_loves_football

Postby colorado_loves_football » Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:17 pm

Dear CFP Admin,
I apologize if my listing of a competitor's URL did any harm.
That wasn't my intention, and so I removed it, but I thought it would be a way for people to get access to their favorite team's schedule, that's how I was able to find TCU's, but you are correct, it's probably not reliable, or if it is, only to a degree. I noticed they didn't have complete MAC listings yet, for one thing.
But I'm also of the opinion that competition can be a good thing. Maybe having a competitor will force you guys to do a better job, which you probaby already do anyway! I've been impressed with how this website is put together, and I think it's not by accident that you have won recogitiion for your hard work.
So, I apologize if any harm was done, I had simply shared what I thought was information, useful to everyone.
I promise I won't do that anymore, without permission.
Last edited by colorado_loves_football on Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CFP Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Postby CFP Admin » Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:41 pm

Ahem! Excuse me, Colorado, but we don't pay to produce this site so that other people can get plugs. That's just not cool, man. You essentially just told our visitors to go somewhere else for a directly competitve feature :roll: . I'm not so paranoid or concerned that I'm going to edit the message but I am personally hurt that you did that.

Besides, when you go to that site, can you also get (on the same page) a recap of the last two year's of games and a year-by-year rundown on how the computer has performed in picking that school's record? Uh, no.

As for that other site, I have no idea where they get their info. We get ours directly from the school SID's, conferences and school websites and spend hours of time to check their accuracy. Last year, we discovered seven conflicts just weeks before kick-off where schools were scheduled to be in two places at one time. The preseason magazines and many major websites were rife with misinformation on schedules - not just prior to the season - but even during it.

Last year, there was so much misinformation regarding Sun Belt teams that we had to call and email the conference offices to get the straight story.

I'm not going to say we don't make mistakes. But we discover a helluva lot more errors on other sites than we make here.

We don't aim to be the first or the easiest. We aim to be the best and most-accurate.
Last edited by CFP Admin on Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:10 am, edited 6 times in total.

CFP Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Postby CFP Admin » Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:50 pm

SOS is always determined by taking the average power rating of every school on a team's schedule. You can't reliably use records because a 5-6 FIU is going to be vastly different than a 5-6 Tennessee. What matters is who they played to get to 5-6.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:50 am

SOS is always determined by taking the average power rating of every school on a team's schedule. You can't reliably use records because a 5-6 FIU is going to be vastly different than a 5-6 Tennessee. What matters is who they played to get to 5-6.

Do you determine the power ranking based on last year's results?

CFP Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Postby CFP Admin » Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:07 am

Only to a certain degree. What happens is that every team's power rating is re-assessed based on a number of factors. After every team has a new power rating, then SOS is determined by averaging the power of each opponent. SOS is then a moving number throughout the season based on how everyone actually performs.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:49 am

Thanks, I always wanted to know that. With the movement in CFB you couldn't really get an accurate view of this years SOS without taking into account who was lost and who is coming in. I'm glad to find out it isn't just based on previous years.

openSkies
Administrator
Administrator

Postby openSkies » Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:56 am

I wish you all could see the formula that the CCR119 uses. I've been with this project since it's inception back in... what was it, 1993?

I still have no idea how it all works. I take a peek once a year at the database, roll my eyes, and keep away from it at all costs.

It's nuts.

Did you all know that the CCR119 started off as a 3-minute radio show? =] Haha, am I embarassing you yet CFP Admin? :D

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:11 am

I think the CCR power rankings are pretty good. I knew that once the season progresses that the power ranking should get more accurate, but the preseason rankings are harder to grasp. I'm trying to get a SOS formula in my head so I can be consistent with my top 25 vote. I thought that using last years results as the total basis for my preseason poll wouldn't even be close to being accurate. I was just looking for some validation and I got what I needed.

Larry

Postby Larry » Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:17 pm

Spence - I know where you're coming from.. My team's losses included losses to: AT ISU ( played for the Big 12 conference championship), AT Ohio State (Big Ten conference champs), Michigan -- lost in overtime (NCAA is still reviewing the many bad calls that "threw" the game), Purdue - a one point loss., so many "factors" are often ignored.

Bottom line: the 2005 Iowa Hawkeyes got screwed bigtime.

I'm not just spouting sh&t...I know for a fact. Larry.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:36 pm

The big problem with playing 1-AA teams is that if you are better then expected, you won't get acknowledged for it by playing a weak schedule. Then say you lose to a conference opponent, it is almost impossible to just over any other one loss team. 1-AA teams really hurt your SOS. FIU wouldn't hurt nearly as bad if Bama didn't play the 1-AA team.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:55 pm

Ohio State is playing 1-AA Youngstown St. in the future. Tressel coached there before coming to Ohio State and wanted them to get a game check to help their athletic program. I hope it doesn't come back to bite us in the butt. Hopefully we will play them in a year we are rebuilding and weren't going to win any how.

Eric

Postby Eric » Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:06 pm

I'm not worried about Michigan's OOC schedule. Ball State, Vanderbilt, and Central are 100% victories. There is no way that we'll be as mediocre as we were last year. Vanderbilt would be the biggest threat, but without Cutler, they won't just be bad, they'll be terrible. They couldn't get to a bowl game with Cutler, where will they be without this NFL-caliber QB?
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Eric

Postby Eric » Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:07 pm

Actually, I am just a tad paranoid about CMU. Brian Kelly won I think 3 championships at GVSU. He can get this team to decency, and they'll have something to play for too. They'll relish the opportunity, so we'll only beat them by 20. But, hopefully it's a paranoid dillusion like I had about Northern Illinois.
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Return to “General Discussion”