Ideas to improve the BCS (without a playoff)

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.

Which is more important?

Having the consensus National Champion
40%
Having football benefit the advancement of academics.
60%

Total votes: 10

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:50 pm

Some time try reading what I say before blowing a gasket.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

MWC

Postby Yeofoot » Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:09 am

Name one decent runningback to come out of the MWC!

Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

MWC

Postby Yeofoot » Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:18 am

Just messing with you, I know you got riled up when you read that, just admit it. We all want that horned frog on our fantasy team. Look, TCU got shafted when the SWC dissolved. But we can all blame SMU. The SWC was the the best conference for a good while. But after SMU got caught paying the players more than the Dallas Cowboys were, we went down the tubes. For the teams like TCU and Utah to be contenders they should make the same move. They need to make a Best-Of-The-Other Conferences Conference. Not only then would they get more press and respect, they would be better teams because they would be playing better teams.

And yes, I do admit how flagrantly wrong I was about Utah. I blame ESPN for my arrogance/ignorance.

Jason G
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Jason G » Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:04 am

There seems to be one fact that no one brings up when they talk about strength of schedule and who someone should or should not play.
In college football, non-conference schedules are often made 5-7 years in advance. Someone may think they are scheduling a tough team and end up scheduling one that is below average by the time the game takes place. The game is still played because the schools want to honor the contract they entered into. No one should be penalized for honoring this agreement. Teams that scheduled schools like Syracuse, Tennessee, and even Purdue this year come to mind as ones who may have had their strength of schedule turn out to be much lower than they originally envisioned and that is certainly not their fault.

That doesn't necessarily pertain to your argument about Utah but still is a point I thought needed mentioned when looking at the issue as a whole.
I do think though that too often teams are penalized for the league they play in. Remember you only choose your non-conference opponents and not your league ones. You are obliged to play them no matter how strong or weak they are.

So often everyone talks about who deserves to be in the BCS and who doesn't. To me the biggest issue, often times, is the way games are scheduled. I would like to see some type of schedule reform instituted. Maybe one or two non-conference games a year should be determined by the BCS or the computer polls in an effort to give all 1-A teams somewhat more equally powerful non-league schedules.

Why not add a 120th team to 1-A and have two non-conference games where the top 60 play the bottom 60 and quarantee every team one home game and one away?

For example: #1 could host #120 and play at #61
#2 could host #119 and play at #62 and so on.
#120 would travel to #1 but would get to host #60

Do you guys think this makes any sense or am I totally off my rocker here?
Just trying to find a way to make the playing field a little more balanced while thinking outside the box.

Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

BCS

Postby Yeofoot » Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:15 pm

I'd like for more teams to do what OSU and UT did, play a team that is tough as nails. I know a lot do, and UT usually takes the easy way out and stays away from non-easy teams in pre-conference play, but this year they wanted a shot at the title, and if they beat OSU they'd get it. I like the idea of having the AD's decide the last two games of the year, midway through the season. Then the top teams could play at home against the contenders that think they're worthy of being top 10. For example, TCU thinks they should be BCS, BCS doesn't agree, so have Texas play at home against TCU, if Texas is as good as they think they are, they'll win and make a lot of money. If TCU is as good as they might be, they get a shot at a contender in front of a national audience, if they win, they get a bid to a Big Bowl.

colorado_loves_football

Postby colorado_loves_football » Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:36 pm

Ok, Yeofoot, that's fair, one or more?
Mike Anderson of Denver Broncos, played for Utah, sometime in the '90s I believe.
Jamal Anderson (running back Atlanta Falcons, Super Bowl team 1998) was a Ute as well.
LaDanian Tomlinson (San Diego Chargers) was a TCU Horned Frog, but he played when they were in C-USA, so I guess that doesn't count.
Ther'es a guy on Denver's practice squad from Colorado State, I'll find his name, but he played against TCU in Liberty Bowl 2000.
That's just a sampling of good running backs, all of whom are still in the NFL.
Cecil Sapp is the guy I coudlnt' remember.
Also, a player from Brigham Young, won award for outstanding (overall) running back. NOt the Heisman, but whatever they gave Bush.
Can't thiink of his name either, but he won overall best runing back entire United States!
Air Force Academy has had a lot of good running backs, but Dee Dowis was a QB who is still mentioned due in large part to his combined yards, running and throwing, and in 1988 I believe he set a team record for passing yards.
Air Force Academy has a long list of excellent QBs.
CSU produced a QB who was drafted by Arizona Cardinals I believe in 1987, again I don't have the name at the moment (Kelly Stouffer).
He set a rookie record for Seattle Seahawks.
Again this is a very short list of what has gone through teams now associated with Mountain West Confernece.
Marshall Faulk was San Diego State running back, should have won heisman trophy in 1990 but didn't.
Should I go on?

colorado_loves_football

Postby colorado_loves_football » Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:42 pm

Jason, I already knew that a majority of teams schedule years in advance, in the case of Notre Dame I think its' closer to ten years in advance, believe it or not, rather than 3 or 4.
BUt I think it all evens out.
I suppose they could adopt an NFL approach to scheduling, but I'm not sure that would serve anyone but the television networks, and honestly sometimes those 'flukey' games turn out to be the ones the matter most.
Just like the NFL, there's no guarantee one team (even National Champion) will be as good next year, so I feel the best approach is to let teams make their own schedules, for the tiem being anyway.
I think Notre Dame, however is a spoiled brat when it comes to sheduling. Is anyone aware they might schedule 9 home games, to assure themselves of a BCS bid? Or am I the only one who has heard about that proposal?
They need to join a conference, any conference, and play for a title, just like everyone else. Big Ten, SEC, ACC, Big East, whatever floats their boat. But they are given preferential status, and I"m not sure they deserve it.

Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

Foote

Postby Yeofoot » Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:53 pm

You're so predictable, I new you would read that one line, and you'd get all fired up, and hit reply before you read my next line. I was just messing with you. LT is the LT of Offenses. Read all the posts before you reply. I'm sooo on your side after the Utah game.

colorado_loves_football

Postby colorado_loves_football » Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:58 pm

Well fact remains L.T. wasn't in MWC, but he played their champion (CSU) in 2000 Liberty Bowl, and won 17-3. That was a weird game, CSU nearly scored TD on first possession (Cecil Sapp) and after that it was all defense for the Frogs, CSU never got within scoring range.

Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

I plead ignorance

Postby Yeofoot » Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:01 pm

CLF:

Ok, clear this up for me:

Is TCU in the MWC?
If not, why are you a huge TCU fan, but the MWC is your conference?

colorado_loves_football

Postby colorado_loves_football » Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:07 pm

Duh!
MWC spells Mid-major Will Conquer

Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Yeofoot » Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:08 pm

You're killin me CLF...Seriously, what's your story?

Yeofoot
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Yeofoot » Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:12 pm

CLF, Are You Drunk?

colorado_loves_football

Postby colorado_loves_football » Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:17 pm

No I think it's the premeditated murder I put on mountain man that put a light in my proverbial fire.
He stole my name by the way, the degenerate.

colorado_loves_football

Postby colorado_loves_football » Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:24 pm

by the way I'm JOKING!!!!!

Return to “General Discussion”