BCS on FOX

Say it all here
Forum rules
NOTICE: Please be sure to check the CFP Message Board Rules and Regulations and the Read Me page before posting.
Eric

BCS on FOX

Postby Eric » Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:30 am

This sucks. I will be missing ABC. Now, I'm not positive of the details. ABC will still show the big games every Saturday correct? Or is FOX going to do those?

What do you think of the move? I, personally, hate it! If FOX won't be showing regular season games, why should they show the BCS? It'd be like CBS coming from nowhere and showing the World Series.

I don't think they'll get the job done, they had Chris Rix on the sidelines during the Cotton Bowl! This production is going to suck. They have too much of an NFL feel to them. They'll do a bad job of capturing the emotion of college football. I don't have any confidence of this move at all, and ABC should be ashamed of themselves. Well, hopefully Keith Jackson moved to FOX to do the Rose Bowl!
Running bowl/MSU/OSU record '05-present: 11-32

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:10 am

Fox is only doing the BCS games. They said they were going after the B-10 when the contract with ABC runs out. I assume they will go after all the majors when their time comes. ABC played hard ball with the commissioners trying to get the "plus one" thing done. The commissioners didn't blink and neither did ABC. Result...BCS on Fox. I think it blows. Fox won't be up to speed on the teams without doing the regular season games.

Fox will have Thom Brennaman doing at least 2 of the games. I have never heard him do football, but he does a good job with baseball and basketball. His Dad is Hall of Fame announcer Marty Brennaman with the Cincinnati Reds. Marty is the best play by play man in the business IMO.

I don't know if Keith Jackson will retire or be back, but ABC will still do the Rose Bowl. The Rose Bowl has alway done their own deal and the just sign a contract with ABC in '04 (i believe) so the granddaddy of 'em all will stay on ABC for the time being.
"History doesn't always repeat itself but it often rhymes." - Mark Twain

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:36 am

wonder if fox will try and get some of espn's #2 and #3 people
( andre ware , chris spielman, )

I doubt that Spielman leaves ESPN. He does a radio show in Columbus for ESPN year round, and ESPN lets him work around his wife's ongoing problems with breast cancer. Spielman is a color guy. He can read offenses from the booth as good as anyone I have ever seen. He can let his emotions run away with him in the booth, though, and sometimes be a little over the top for casual fans. He doesn't hold back when he does games. That is pretty much how he played also.

When Spielman was a freshman, during Ohio State's first game, he was pacing the sidelines and chanting "I need to play, I need to play". Earle Bruce asked an asst. coach who was doing the yelling. He said it was Chris Spielman. Bruce put him in the game and he sacked the QB. He went on to play every game after that, until he graduated. Spielman is one of the best linebackers to ever play at Ohio State.

ESPN won't let him do Ohio State games because Chris is such a Buckeye homer he can't keep it inside. He once refered to Ohio State as "we" during a game early in his career. I don't think he has drawn an Ohio State game since. Spielman is 100% Buckeye. Everyone here loves him.

bama_girl
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby bama_girl » Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:13 am

i hope fox gets better camera men, they get on my nerves not showing good replay angles. if they even show the replay
The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire. ~Mark Twain

Eric

Postby Eric » Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:23 am

Well, considering Chris Spielman was a Detroit Lion, my feelings toward him cancel out :lol:

I just don't have a lot of confidence in this..... FOX, as I said before, has too much of an NFL feel to them. I still don't respect FOX as a network either. All they ever show are animated "comedies" (if you want to call them that) and other stupid shows. The only good things FOX has ever produced is the NFL and now college football, oh yeah, and the World Series. Anyway, this move is terrible. Thom Brennenan is a good announcer, he did the Cotton Bowl. As long as they get Chris Rix on the sidelines, I guess it would a mediocre broadcast. But, I'm usually skeptical on how good a broadcast will be when a sporting event moves to a different network. Take hockey for example, I think NBC is doing a great job. Once again, the only problem is Pierre McGuire. Where did he come from? And you'd think that Bill Clement would be in the booth, not at the desk.

Eric

Postby Eric » Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:37 am

4 years? Doesn't seem like too long. Hopefully ABC can rebound and take it back. I do like the idea of the championship bowl, but when will we see some consistency? The BCS is changing every year. I'd like for the BCS to stay like this, except they should go with a few years' ago formula. I say that because the human poll accounts for 2/3s of the BCS, so what is the role of the BCS now? It pretty much mirrors the human polls.

The sad thing is if there is a great BCS bowl, it will probably be lost forever because the only place where you'd see that game would be on ESPN Classic. So we can say bye-bye to BCS classics for 4 years.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:15 pm

spielman was an awesome player . pretty good announcer . your reasoning sounds as though he is an ESPN guy through and through .

ESPN has been really good to Chris. They let him back after he spent 1 1/2 seasons coaching arena football. (he quit to take care of his wife) They have supported him all through this thing. Chris is a very loyal guy, so I believe he will probably stay with ESPN. Besides, I think in the long run the conferences won't like the way fox uses college football. ABC has been pretty respectful with the game. ESPN on the other hand has pretty much handled the games like I would expect Fox to do. I like Gameday, but when they get a blow out, ESPN forgets there is a game being played.

I agree about Dan Fouts, a trained monkey would show more objectivity then he does at times.

Jason G
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Jason G » Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:48 pm

I agree that Fox probably won't do as decent a job as ABC. If it had to change I would rather have seen CBS pick it up than Fox.
That being said I'm just glad it wasn't NBC.

colorado_loves_football

Postby colorado_loves_football » Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:48 pm

What happened was, ABC apparently wanted a playoff, any sort of playoff, to make the championship game more marketable.
As it is, the BCS elected not to go with that format, probably for good reasons. A 'plus-one' works only if two teams are left, after the bowls, so it creates as much debate as it solves, and wouldn't have worked this year, or last year, either.
It's my impression ABC wasn't interested in a 'five' bowl format, one bowl serving both as a BCS bowl, and championship, one week later.
Interestingly enough, that format would have worked perfectly this year, so it will be interesting to see how it works next year.
Give Fox credit for taking a risk. This isn't the first time Fox has done it.
They weren't involved in the NFL until CBS didn't renew their contract.
And I'm not sure it wasn't an improvement, didn't Fox incorporate some innovative things in their broadcast? I dont' agree it's all annoying, some of it was more entertaining, like cameras in helmets.
So, as much as I hate to see ABC go, I think maybe it's time for a change, as long as Fox goes about it the right way.
We live in a competitive world. What works yesterday might not work today, so give Fox credit for recognizing that.
ABC gave us a 'stale' product, this year, by-and-large.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:32 pm

CLF you are exactly right. ABC only wanted a fifth bowl if it was a championship game after the bowls(Plus one). They didn't want to add another big payoff bowl because the thought it would lose money.

mountainman

Postby mountainman » Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:42 pm

My take on ABC and ESPN for that matter .... for what it's worth.

These two TV entities were attempting to 'take over' college football in a coudetat if you will. They attempted to change the landscape of college football by eliminating the bowl system and replacing it with a playoff system. One might ask, "Why would they want to do that?" Simple answer is money. They were talking about a 16 game season and having super conferences. (the ACC raiding the Big East starting to become more clear?)

The college presidents recognized what was going on and threw a roadblock up and said these are student athletes not professional athletes and we're having none of it.

I listen to Don Nehlen, former WVU coach, giving a speech early last year and Coach Nehlen, normally a soft spoken man, was on a rant about the exploitation of college football and how the efforts would be more appropriate if those exploitation efforts were re-directed to helping the kids who play the game by insuring they get a quality education, health and disability insurance and the like.

That was when I began to suspect that something was going on. A big power play if you will. Some may think I've been in these hills and hollers too long, while others may think that I've been nipping Uncle Bill's joy juice. I will admit I do not know anything for sure, but this hillbilly does recognized that the ingredients were there to bake the cake.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:23 pm

That is what happened. ABC thought they could throw their weight around and the presidents would follow. They didn't count on Fox coming up with the cash. The ESPN monster controls ABC sports and they thought that Fox would never take the BCS without the games. The presidents showed ABC where the power lies. CFB is very popular, until something happens to change that, they hold all the cards.

Eric

Postby Eric » Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:21 pm

Well, I'm not much of a network TV fan, the only good things I ever watch are sporting events and LOST. All the 6:30 news broadcasts are so slanted it isn't even worth 2 seconds of my time. Well, I do tend to watch NBC, as they seem the less slanted of the two. When are they going to stop with this Katrina crap? They talk about it every day, and Peter Jennings is in some wrecked area twice a week.

Anyway (I've been tending to ramble on lately, drifting off topic), I think FOX is going to do a medioce job. The only suggestion I have to them is get involved with the regular season! I find it stupid that a network that doesn't even show college football in the regular season should get to show the championships.

Well, ABC, you blundered on this one. I'm going to miss your broadcasts. And on another note, I can't seem to see what people's problems with Dan Fouts and Keith Jackson are, I think they make a good duo.

Spence
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Spence » Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:36 pm

Peter Jennings is in some wrecked area twice a week.

Peter Jennings died of lung cancer a few months ago. Don't know where he is, but it would probably be a good story to watch. :roll:

Eric

Postby Eric » Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:39 pm

Oh yeah, of course, that was a typo. That is supposed to be Brian Williams. For some reason I've been calling him Peter Jennings lately...

And, I mean to say "less slanted of the 3", another typo.

Return to “General Discussion”